PDA

View Full Version : New Auto 5 shotgun question

patsue
January 27, 2001, 06:47 PM
I just bought a used Light 12 at a gunshow today. Japanese made, but like new. I always wanted one as my dad used one for years as I was growing up. Anyway, after getting it home, I notice that the barrel doesn't seem to be all the way into the reciever. The frictions rings are properly placed and the screw cap is as far as it will go. I screwed it in as I pushed down the barrel- it won;t go any further. What I am noticing is right at the receiver, about a 16th of an inch of the barrel is not quite down in the reciever. It is a little ring in the white (not blued). According to all the pictures I can find, the barrel ought to be flush with the reciever at that point. Any ideas, I can post pictures if I have to but it would be a hassle.

Thanks for your help anyone,

Patsue

patsue
January 27, 2001, 07:38 PM
Something is definatly wrong. I pushed the barrel up and down and the bottom of the barrel where it is going into the reciever is beating the crap out of the bottom of the wood forearm. I am not missing anything in parts it appears. Because the barrel has beaten up the back of the forearm now it is sticking out of the reciever about a half inch now. There seems to be nothing holding the barrel down into the reciever but the bottom of the forearm. That can't be right!!!

What is wrong here?, I am getting ticked off like I got took by someone at the show.

pat

patsue
January 27, 2001, 08:08 PM
It appears that somebody put a Magnum 12 forearm on my light 12 gun. Thats the only thing I can see that makes sence. Any of you with these shotguns tell me the difference? My forearm has only about an inch and a half of wood as a spacer on the top of it. I bet the light 12 has more then that.
Someone confirm please!

pat

patsue
January 28, 2001, 01:25 AM
It is the forearm. When I install the barrel without the forearm there is a good 3-4 inch gap between the top of the forarm and the Barrel piece that fits in it after I press the barrel where it is supposed to be. The bad thing is there is no way I can get back to the gun show and have it out with the dealer... The gun itself is in Like New condition, almost perfect. I hope Browning still has them, the website says that they are 59 bucks apiece. I bought the gun for 499 so I guess it isn't that bad. What a nuisance though. Anybody got any suggestions if Browning falls through. I may have to go to a Synthetic replacement option. ugh!
Pat

Captain Bligh
January 28, 2001, 02:20 AM
I have an A-5. Are you certain you are installing correctly? It takes some muscle to push the barrel against the spring and hold it down into the reciever before putting on the forearm and screwing down the cap.

RJ

patsue
January 28, 2001, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the reply, yes, I did push it all the way in. It is the forearm, I just called my Dad and over the phone we compared forarms. His has about 3 3/4 inches of wood spacer in the forearm where it holds the barrel. Mine only has about 1 3/4 inches. I can't believe this:(
The gun looks brand new. Someone in its past scratched or broke the forearm and somebody slammed a magnum 12 forearm on it and looked for a pigeon. I was the pigeon. I am really glad that I inspected it carefully before firing the darn thing. The barrel flying forward might have injured my hand or arm before the magnum forarm caught it. It would have travelled forward about 3 inches before it stopped probably fragmenting the forearm in the process. Now gotta decide what to do if Browning can't sell me a new forearm. Thier website says that they have them, but it appears I have to send the gun to them to have it fitted. I am half tempted to get a bell and carlson synthetic with advantage camo forearm and stalk ordered and not mess with it anymore. I just prefer the pretty Browning wood to synthetic.

Pat

patsue
January 29, 2001, 11:04 PM
I called Browning today and they said that definatly I had a magnum 12 forend on my light 12 gun. I ordered the forearm from them for 57 bucks. I hope it matches the almost flawless buttstock in color. They will try but no guarantees. Anyway, thats the story on the problem. Again, I am glad that I didn't fire it, Browning said it would have destroyed the gun and possibly injured me.

pat