PDA

View Full Version : Canting/Uncanting Scope?

Lee Enfield
August 15, 2014, 03:26 PM
Hi all,

Instead of having canted iron sights with a scope, is there a product out there where you have a scope mount that rotates and cants/uncants the scope out to the left and back, so that you can use the stock iron sights on top of the barrel? That way, you can use the iron sights for closer quarters, and then rotate the scope back on top where greater distance calls for it - all without rotating the rifle itself.

Just curious and thank you all in advance.

tobnpr
August 15, 2014, 05:13 PM
First, what rifle is this for?

There are some "see-through" optics mounts that raise the scope, and you look through the mounts to use the irons.

Obviously, no free ride- so I'm sure you could forget about any kind of cheekweld with this setup.

Might consider a mini holosight either on top of the optic (Burris makes a mount like this for the Fast Fire) or if you have a picatinny or Weaver rail add a 45 degree section for it- which you'll need to cant as you mentioned.

I have also seen some "Flip" type mounts, particularly for magnifiers for the AR platform, and I think I've seen some for optics- but beware of inexpensive ones. I'm sure they have too much "play" to afford precision, repeatable accuracy.

Lee Enfield
August 15, 2014, 06:14 PM
I'm toying with the idea of it on a Lee Enfield No4.

What if a flip type mechanism is used on a higher powered (and larger) scope?
Would this be cause for a problem or be impractical?

Bart B.
August 15, 2014, 06:19 PM
Search the 'net for Weaver Tip Off mounts or Pachmayr Low Swing mounts.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Categories/ScopesMountsBasesRingsBinoculars-36032/MountsBases-40513/Pachmayr-37450.htm?page=2

Lee Enfield
August 15, 2014, 06:27 PM
Cool beans - I'll check them out. Thanks.

Mobuck
August 15, 2014, 08:02 PM
The problem arises from the variability of the rings returning to the same spot after being flipped. It doesn't take much wear or slack to cause changes in POI making your scope basically worthless for the longer ranges you need a scope for.

jmr40
August 15, 2014, 08:10 PM
Quick detachable mounts are a better option.

Actually the best option is a low powered variable scope of around 1-4X. On 1X it is faster than using iron sights, more durable too with any decent quality scope. On 4X it will give you enough magnification to make hits out to at least 400 yards.

dakota.potts
August 15, 2014, 11:33 PM
Typically the iron sights are canted because they weigh less and are easier to mount in a more stable position. Any effects on their POI will be less drastic, and as you typically use the iron sights for closer shots, will matter less.

I'd consider flip up iron sights if you're putting a rail on the gun, or maybe a see-through mount where you can look through the iron sights also. Or, as another poster suggested, mount a mini reflex sight on top of the scope.