PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Sixteen??

devdotedad
January 26, 2001, 10:28 AM
Hello from a newbie. Been lurking for a few days and am very impressed with this forum. My question is: My father in law gave me a Browning "sweet sixteen" A5 16 ga. auto shotgun - purchased in 1970 but never been fired or even put together. Its packaged with cleaning rod/stuff and documentation inside a Browning Nugahide Hard case. Would any of you gentlemen or ladies know the approximate value of this piece? Needless to say its in 100% new condition.
Thanks a lot.
Eugene C.

Dave McC
January 26, 2001, 01:57 PM
You may get a better response on this on Harley Nolden's forum. He and some other guys are fountainheads of gun knowledge.

I will say that you have a classic shotgun, probably Belgian made, and in NIB condition you have a collectable piece, as well as one of the best shotguns ever made.

Enjoy...

Kobra
January 26, 2001, 02:04 PM
My father also owns one of those. The best rabbit gun I have ever come across. I checked recently in a gun value book and I believe it was $400 something.

devdotedad
January 26, 2001, 03:16 PM
Will do Dave. And thanks too Kobra.
Regards,
eugene

PJR
January 26, 2001, 03:34 PM
The Sweet 16 is probably the most sought after Auto 5. The value according to my edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values for a Belgian-made, 16 gauge, Auto 5 in 100 percent condition is determined by the barrel configuration.

Plain Barrel--$525
Solid Matte Rib--$695
Ventilated Rib--$950

In the condition described which is NIB, unassembled, as it came from the factory, it could command a premium among collectors and people who worship this particular gun.

Al Thompson
January 26, 2001, 07:12 PM
Good answers - I'm sending this to Harley's forum.

Giz