PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 88 longevity/durability?

garry owen
July 24, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hello! I am new owner of a "like new" Maverick 88 12 gauge 8-shot. I am wanting to know how long users have had one, your approximate round count, and if you have had any problems with the gun. In mine I have so far shot about 100 rounds, mostly birdshot, and the only problems were with hard ejection with the cheap Winchester bulk pack shells. As I understand, that's pretty normal. Anyway I like the gun and would just like to know how tough it is.

dalecooper51
July 24, 2014, 07:54 PM
If you have enough money to buy the ammo to wear one out, you have enough to pick up another one. My father used the field version for over a decade with no issues. My brother now has it, but isn't much of a shooter.

Mike38
July 24, 2014, 08:50 PM
I have a 15+ year old Maverick 88 with a smooth bore slug barrel and a turkey barrel from a Mossberg 500. Barrels are interchangeable between the two makes. Not a lot of rounds shot, but those shot have been slugs and 3 inch magnum turkey loads, and it’s holding up just fine. Probably has put 10 or 11 deer and 7 or 8 turkey’s in my freezer over the years.

A400 Fan
July 24, 2014, 08:51 PM
100 rounds? That's it? Seriously, that isn't even a morning for me with ANY of my guns. You should expect to add several zeros to your round count without a thought

garry owen
July 24, 2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah 100 rounds is just getting started.:)

mxsailor803
July 26, 2014, 04:32 PM
I've got one and a buddy has one. I've only had mine for about 4-5 years and my buddy has had his since the early to mid 90's. I've probably shot a case through mine and he probably has shot 15-20 cases of buckshot through his. Granted they aren't lookers, but a reliable field gun doesn't have to be good looking to be reliable.

scottys1
July 27, 2014, 04:22 PM
I picked up a used one very cheaply about 20 years ago. It was rather beat up when I got it. It got used quite a bit shooting clay pigeons at a friend's farm for a few years after that. I have no idea about how many rounds it has fired, either by me or before I got it.

It's ugly, beat up, and rattles some, but still shoots well and functions reliably. I don't shoot it much anymore, but for the pittance that I might get for it, it makes a good spare.