PDA

View Full Version : Hello again, Elsie Pea (a.k.a. LCP)

SIMP
July 15, 2014, 08:25 AM
Since obtaining my permit, I've tried many different carry guns in all calibers, shapes and sizes. Started with an LCP, sold it and branched out from there. After all was said and done, I've come back around and purchased another LCP.

The reunion has been a very pleasant one. How easy she slips into a pocket for the hot and humid Mississippi summer. Also makes a perfect grab and go for those quick runs to the store at night. If you're a runner or a walker, the LCP (or similar) is a must. Great up and close protection piece.

Since open carry is now legal here, I do still carry my larger guns OWB when I tuck my shirts in to go out with the wife or something, but I tell you what.......the LCP is very hard to beat for shorts and t-shirt weather here in Mississippi. I mostly wear cargo shorts and I forget that the pistol is there at times. With a good pocket holster and plenty of practice, a quick presentation is easily accomplished.

And if you haven't tried the LCP in a while, Ruger has greatly improved the trigger pull and the gun's "sights" if you can call them that. The trigger travel was reduced 35% and it is very smooth. At 10-15 yards, a tight group can be shot pretty easily. I've put 100 flawless rounds thru this particular LCP and have been very pleased. Even when quick mag dumping, no hiccups. Also, there was a time when .380 ammo was tough to find but I got some recently at our local Wally World and our LGS seems to have it as well. I hope that's the case in your area.

Just wanted to share my re-connection story with you and maybe it will help others who are on the fence about getting a small .380. Some folks talk bad about the .380 round, but I don't want to take a bullet from one. In my opinion, the LCP is an exceptional value.

4 Paws
July 15, 2014, 08:29 AM
No doubt about it, the LCP has to be one of the easiest pocket carry guns currently out there. Glad you're enjoying your new purchase.

Locoweed
July 15, 2014, 09:44 AM
I carried an LCP for a number of years and then switched over to a Kimber Solo in 9mm. The Solo was very heavy and kept pulling my pants down so after a few months I went back to the LCP as my all day, everyday carry gun. I recently picked up a second generation LCP but haven't had it to the range yet. I really am sold on the LCP (and the P3AT which is the grandparent of the LCP).

SIMP
July 15, 2014, 11:20 AM
I recently picked up a second generation LCP but haven't had it to the range yet.

You will love the changes. The trigger is still heavy enough for safe carry but the shorter travel makes a world of difference in accuracy. To me, it's a pleasure to shoot compared to the older models. Still not an all day range gun, but tolerable.

Accuracy is really impressive with the small sights.