PDA

View Full Version : Aliengear Neoprene Composite Holster

JimmyR
July 4, 2014, 10:35 PM
I love a good leather/kydex hybrid, but I was looking at Alien Gear's website, and now they offer a neoprene/kydex hybrid holster. Has anyone tried this? Is the neoprene as durable as the leather backing? I'm looking at getting a new holster, and would like to try Alien Gear, and Alien Gear is trying to move everyone to the neoprene backed hoslters.

katokahn99
July 14, 2014, 04:55 PM
I don't think there will be any issues with it holding up...even if there were, they will replace/repair for you at not cost to you. For the price going in, I say give it a shot!
Be prepared for a long wait though. My original Cloak Tuck was ordered on 5/31; as of this morining I'm still waiting. I think it will be worth the wait.

Captains1911
July 14, 2014, 06:32 PM
In general, leather is a more durable material than neoprene. The fact they alien gear is calling this an "upgrade" and charging more is dishonest IMO. It it were the same price or cheaper than the standard leather/kydex holster, I might consider giving it a try.

6mm
July 26, 2014, 07:18 PM
I got a 2.0 last week and have been carrying my PX4 SC in it. Almost forget its there. Very light and have no problems drawing and re-holstering. We see how it holds up long term.

ubang2
August 1, 2014, 07:11 PM
I just ordered mine last week (Glock 26) & found out after I ordered I had a 3 to 4 week wait before shipping. Kinda wish they told about they wait times before you ordered. I will check it out and report.

Comanche
August 7, 2014, 03:45 PM
One problem I have with leather IWB holsters is they wick moisture and my pistol gets wet when I'm working hard.
If neoprene can solve that and still be comfortable I'm all for it.

saands
August 7, 2014, 05:52 PM
I've been on the sidelines about them for a while ... mostly because I have good holsters for every pistol that I would ever carry (and a few more :rolleyes:).

But the neoprene sounds interesting enough that I will swing by their site and give it a look.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Saands

JimmyR
August 12, 2014, 04:48 AM
So after seeing some of the responses, I'm gonna give it a shot. I needed a holster for my Walther p99 anyways, and I have an Old Faithful to compare it to in terms of durability, comfort, weight, etc., which makes sense now that they are the same company.

Report and Review will be here in a few weeks.

saands
August 12, 2014, 09:32 AM
I ordered one as well ... we'll see how they do. I'll also report back when it arrives.

Saands

markman
August 24, 2014, 09:33 AM
I also have one on order. I had one of their original leather Cloak Tuck models, but I didn't care for it.

hoss1969
October 11, 2014, 04:33 PM
Did you get it yet? I know the delay in production is bad, but I love mine. I have two original and a 2.0. While both versions are good I do like the leather the best. Also look into the "J" hook clips. They go behind the belt and hook the lower edge. Damn near invisible when you tuck your shirt, no big clips over the belt.

tobnpr
October 12, 2014, 09:56 AM
Got mine for my Kahr 9mm last week.

I really like it... I've changed my carry position to 5 o'clock as it's better suited for me with this holster, and it remains secure all the time regardless of my activity.

My single-clip holster was quick to slip into my waistband, but was constantly shifting and needing discreet "adjustment"- which was what prompted my change. Living in FL, always dressing "light" with at most a Polo shirt and sometimes just a baggy T, conceal-ability is tough, and with constant sweating leather wasn't a viable option for me. It sometimes comes out soaking wet on the back side, but no harm, no foul :o

Delivery was about six weeks IIRC.

saands
October 12, 2014, 10:04 AM
I finally received my Alien Gear holster for my EDC S&W 6906 ... I was a little skeptical when I first saw that they had gone from leather to a mix of man-made materials (neoprene and some kind of harder plastic reinforcement) in the backing, but I have to admit that it is actually more comfortable and every bit as stable as my other hybrid tuckable holsters that are horsehide. I found that their combo of materials is basically 100% colorfast as well ... I was out working in the yard and came in soaked (no sweat got through the backing by the way) and there was no color transfer to my khaki colored cargo shorts ... which, unfortunately, is more than I can say for my leather-based gunbelts.

I also REALLY like their belt clips ... they are a little thicker than the metal ones most guys use, but by going with a molded plastic they can incorporate a hook that grabs the belt securely AND a tiny tab that lets you take it off very easily when you want to. I will probably leave the front clip as is (my cell phone case covers it completely) but will probably replace the rear clip with a velcro style that I make myself, since that will make the rear clip virtually un-noticeable ... even to someone that is looking ... better than even the J-clips!

All-in-all, this one gets a strong "Buy" signal from me ... just know going in that they don't ship immediately.

I should also say that while I did have a little hiccup with their customer service when I first called to try to add an additional shell to my order, they gifted me the additional shell to make up for the hiccup and were EXTREMELY responsive in all other communications. :D

CC