PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Target II, EEA hunter or colt delta elite??

TheFisherman
June 6, 2014, 11:19 AM
Greeting everyone,

I fell in love with my 10mm after I got my g20. But its time for a nice steel framed 10mm handgun. Kimber Target II, EEA hunter or colt delta elite?? Any one have any insight??

Thanks guys

g.willikers
June 6, 2014, 11:36 AM
Yes.....
Why limit yourself. :)
Glad to have been of assistance.

Mystro
June 6, 2014, 11:37 AM
Yes, I competed with two very highly modified Delta 10mm back in the mid 1990's. I have more rounds through a Colt Delta Elite than I care to mention on and off the IPSC course.
They are a great gun but seem incredibly crude but a great platform for Gunsmithing. That said, I would go Kimber in a heart beat if you don't want to modify it. They are a turn key gun right out of the box. There are some other high dollar 1911 10mm options but out of your choices, you will get ALOT of gun for the money with the Kimber.
As a 10mm freak, I would also recommend you adding a G29 as well as a nice 1911 10mm. You can share mags with your G20 and is a logical choice for a more comfortable carry. One note to the G29 is that the velocity never gets up to the G20 with about any loads or powders I have tested. Think of it like a hot 40s&w through a 3.5" barrel but still a handful.

TheFisherman
June 6, 2014, 12:24 PM
Mystro: thanks dude that was all extremely helpful. I didnt realize I can share mags with the g29 (makes sense though). I want one bad but unfortunately I live in a no ccw state. New Jersey is a peice of trash state whare they trample the constitution. But thats a story for another time. So the g29 is alittle pointless for me untill I find a job elsewhere. I have no intentions of moding my firearms (im no gun smith thats for sure). So ill definitely take your advice and go for the kimber. Thanks alot dude for the input.

Ps. What would you say is a good big money 10mm handgun, id love to check it out and see if its in my price range. Also what powder you use? Ive been using aa#9 but I keep hearing longshot is the creme de la creme

Mystro
June 6, 2014, 01:07 PM
No problem. You really can't go wrong and a 1911 will give you a much different platform than your Glock.
Keep em in the ten ring........

Brutus
June 7, 2014, 06:49 AM
Go with the Colt. Kimber makes a very nice gun but their customer service is the worst. When I bought my Target II I had nothing but problems. Kimber would never admit to a problem, turns out it was their magazines causing the problem, got two Colt magazines and all problems went away. They have modified their magazines and they function properly now but I went through a lot of pain and suffering along the way. Also recently had the retaining clip pop off the rear sight of my Super Match. Was told this was Normal wear?
On their most expensive high end pistol. Options, pay them to install a new sight or do it myself for $70. Did it myself. In my experience had this happened to a Colt, Smith or Ruger it would have been fixed for free with an apology for the inconvenience.

WESHOOT2
June 7, 2014, 03:19 PM
S&W 610. The only proper 10mm.

Fishbed77
June 7, 2014, 04:24 PM
The Colt is is certainly the nicest of those three pistols, and would be my choice.

cougar gt-e
June 7, 2014, 04:56 PM
Don't discount the witness hunter. 6" barrel, built on the competition frame same as the limited series. Extremely nice pistols, reliable and tack driving accurate.

Also for over a third less $, the 4.75“ barrel witness match elite. Adjustable sights, single action trigger, extended controls. Just bought one in .40, butter smooth slide, crisp trigger out of the box and even better after polishing a couple areas.

In the past some models had cracking problems. That was on lower level ones with lighter "round top" slides. The slides on the match, stock, limited and hunter series are thicker and didn't have issues. The stock 1, stock 2, limited pro and limited elite are competition targeted models.

Any of the guns you list are very good, I just like the witness series a bit better.

Ascension
June 24, 2014, 03:26 AM
The Kimber or a Rock Island in a 1911 platform 10mm are both safe with hotter loads but the Colt Delta is NOT!
I own both a Glock 29 and a S&W 1066 but am looking hard at a 1911 in 10mm and the Kimber is the front runner right now.
The 10mm page from Underwood ammo and the big red lettered warning not to shoot that ammo in a Delta ought to get your attention.
http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx
I have run a steady diet of the that stuff through both my 10's with no issue and both the Kimber and the EAA Witness you list are perfectly safe to run Underwood in just not a Colt Delta. Another solid choice in a 10mm 1911 pistol on the cheap is the Rock Island.
Do a Google search on case blow out issues on the Colt Delta and I guarantee you will buy one of the others instead!