PDA

View Full Version : Info on a strange M-1 carbine

Daren Thompson
January 24, 2001, 09:08 PM
A friend told me about a strange gun he used to have. It was an Iver-Johnson M-1 carbine with a pistol grip (no stock) and an 8 inch barrel. He swears that the 8 inch barrel was factory, or at least looked like it. Does anyone have any info about a gun like this? Would it be a pistol or a SBR?

Thanks
Daren

Johnny Guest
January 24, 2001, 09:44 PM
Daren--
Some years back, in the 60s or 70s, I believe, they marketed such a pistol, called, I think, The Enforcer. Not a bad-looking piece, actually As the manufacturer set aside certain serial numbers to be used for PISTOLS, this is (was?) entirely legal--they never had long barrels nor shoulder stocks. This is pretty much the same thing as the Remington XP-100: What would normally be a rifle action (Remington 600,) but intended before manufacture to be a handgun.

You don't sound like you're considering any such project, but a couple of cautions for other readers:

***Do not set out to make one of these on your own. A shortened CARBINE barrel, in company with the action, becomes a short barreled rifle and subject to National Firearms Act regulation. (Barrel under 16 inches, or under 26 inches overal length without regard to barrel length.)

***Also, if you DO come up with an Enforcer, resist the temptation to put it into a shoulder stock for increased accuracy, or whatever. This also makes it a SBR, etc.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE

Willy
January 24, 2001, 09:57 PM
Don't forget to mention that if you do want to make a SBR, there are legal ways to go about it. Check your state laws first, though.

Karsten
January 24, 2001, 10:11 PM
Yes, I agree. They did make an Enforcer and I almost bought one back in the 70 or early 80's. I think they had a few different barrel options but I am not positive. My advise would be just to leave it locked up. Even though it is a pre ban and factory cut barrel, they may want that one. I understand that even today, that as long as the weapon left the FACTORY with a short barrel it is legal. If you Cut it, shorten it or anything and they shall be parking Bradley's on your lawn.
I also don't think the Enforcer was all that accurite either if I recall.

Karsten

Johnny Guest
January 24, 2001, 11:57 PM
Karsten wrote:
I also don't think the Enforcer was all that accurite either if I recall.

I think it had as much to do with difficulty in shooting it accurately as with intrinsic accuracy. VERY poor balance and couldn't be held well to use sights in a steady position without use of a rest.

Willy wrote:
Don't forget to mention that if you do want to make a SBR, there are legal ways to go about it. Check your state laws first, though.

Well, the federal laws prevail, even if state law is silent on the subject. Lot of expense and hassle to do it legally. If I wasn going to that much trouble and spending that much money, I'd rather do it with a different gun: Thompson M-1 semi, Uzi carbine, HK-94--One of those that look strange with the "legal" 16-inch barrel.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE

RiverRider
January 25, 2001, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know how much one of these "Enforcers" would be worth? There is a man I have known since I was very young who had something like this, but I was eleven years old when I saw it last. He might still have it, and be willing to part with it. He called it his "burp gun".

Karsten
January 25, 2001, 12:38 PM
There is one for sale at http://www.gunbroker.com Search or Item #869883 price is at $415.00

James K
January 25, 2001, 03:13 PM
I believe at least one state (CA) may consider that gun an "assault weapon" and require registration because the magazine is ahead of the trigger guard. So check state law for any questions.

Those things were neat plinkers, but far too heavy and awkward to use like a handgun and too small to use as a rifle. Mostly they were bought by police as a "trunk gun" and by people who thought they "looked neat".

Jim

Strayhorn
January 25, 2001, 03:32 PM
This reminds me of the most recent episode of the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun" which was called "Guns of the Gangsters".

Apparently, Clyde Barrow liked the BAR, but didn't like its size. So he cut 3" off the barrel and cut the stock back to the recoil tube. He then put a leather strap on the stock so he could hang the gun down under his
arm, beneath a long overcoat.

A collector who owns a replica shot the thing for the camera and managed to hold it steady, but, Man!, what a bear that must have been. No wonder the cops shot first and and asked questions later when it came to the final ambush.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Phil
January 25, 2001, 07:03 PM
There's one for sale over at GunsAmerica. It has a picture. He wants $650.00 for it

http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?complex=1&custom=&lowprice=0&highprice=99999999&age=0&uid=&keys=enforcer&state=

Rex Feral
January 25, 2001, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine had a M2 with a 12.5" barrel and folding stock. Loaded with HP or SP ammo, he had something roughly equivalent to a .357 mag, closed bolt SMG. I'll take that over an MP5 or Uzi any day of the week!

Daren Thompson
January 25, 2001, 09:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys!!!!

Later
Daren

4V50 Gary
January 25, 2001, 09:54 PM
On the old TV show, Get Smart, behind a sliding wall in the Chief's office is the armory and there were several variations of M1 Carbines on the wall. I believe the Enforcer is among them.