PDA

View Full Version : My next rifle purchase/s ideas

marine6680
May 27, 2014, 08:58 AM
I am looking at rounding out my collection...

Caliber and rifle type/action... Etc

So I want something in:

7.62*39
7.62/308
Bolt
Semiauto

Its looking like 3 rifles to fill my wish list.

I don't hunt, so rifles geared for that are less likely to get my interest.

A bolt gun will be used for bench shooting out to 200yds or so, ranges with the ability to go farther are too long of a drive. I am considering the bolt to be in 223 because of that and the not for hunting use variable. I like the scout rifle concept, I think them interesting... A solid MOA shooter and a decent scope would be the aim.

I'm pretty solid on my potential buys in a bolt, but others opinions would be helpful to make sure I don't pick horribly.

I was looking at an AR pattern rifle in 7.62/308... But I already have two ARs. While I like the AR pattern with its ease of modification and I am very familiar with it overall... I think I want something different to round out the collection... So I was looking at the M1A, but how to set it up... Do I want a tack driver or just a solid rifle. Would a red dot on a SOCOM model be the way to go, or a scoped Loaded model be the ticket.

Do I even want the M1A? I like them, shot them, never owned them... The fiance liked shooting the couple she shot, she also liked the AR pattern in 7.62...

She liked the G3 clone as well... But I am a little less fond of the action.

And then there is 7.62*39...

Do I want a midrange AK type... Or maybe an AR with a lower set up for AK mags. But once again, I have two ARs, and am likely to end up with a third that I will have a few alternate uppers and calibers for.

Maybe the new SIG 556R would be a good choice... Then there is the VZ58... Which has less parts and accessory support.

Yeah I know... Its a huge swath of ground between all those.

This is not a situation of which should I get next... So much as a... I'm about to buy three rifles, but which ones.

I'm indecisive about it ATM.

I'm rounding out my whole collection, and already decided on a few things.

A Glock and XD to fill out the three big plastic fantastics.
A revolver in 357, something with a 4in barrel at least. Probably a Ruger... Not a big revolver guy just want one in the collection.
Colt 1911...I want a 1911 and I want it to say Colt on the side.
A lever action in 357. I just want one.
Maybe a Tavor... I just think they are neat.

Basically... I'm a lucky SOB who has came into the ability to do this, and figured might as well while I can.

And by all means... Throw me suggestions of other things you think round things out.

Jim243
May 27, 2014, 10:00 AM
I am looking at rounding out my collection...

Hard to tell you without knowing what is in your collection already.

I don't hunt, so rifles geared for that are less likely to get my interest.

That eliminates a lot of rifles.

I think I want something different to round out the collection... So I was looking at the M1A,

Expensive, hard to scope, heavy and unless a National Match model not MOA accurate as many others. Cool gun for your collection though.

And then there is 7.62*39...

Not as practical to 200 yards, good 7.62x39 ammo hard to find, garbage ammo easy to buy, about a 2 MOA rifle.

Do I want a midrange AK type.

No, stamped metal, hardly worth what they are charging for them.

Maybe the new SIG 556R would be a good choice

Yes a good choice, but not different than what you already have.

If expense is not a problem, then a AR-10 patterned rifle with multiple uppers would be the way to go. Say one in 308, one in 243 and one in 22 LR (for the fiance). I like the DPMS GII since it will use the AR-15 accessories and is a lighter weight AR-10.

Jim

waveslayer
May 27, 2014, 10:49 AM
Get a 6.5 Grendel in an AR then or a Desert Tactical SRS

marine6680
May 27, 2014, 10:57 AM
As far as current collection.

I have a couple CZ75, M&P, P226, ruger 22 pistol, 10/22, 2 ARs (one SPR and one standard), couple pump 12ga...

Not everything has to be MOA capable... But if I bother with a scope for the rifle, I would like it too be.

So a SOCOM M1A would work fine if I don't want to scope it.

Anything in 7.62*39 would just be a fun for the range thing.

Most of these purchaces fit that description though. Its for enjoyment.

As far as the fiance... She is the one who wants a 308 the most. She likes the big guns and the ammo that comes with it. As long as recoil isn't excessive, she is fine. She can handle a pump 12ga with a butt pad well enough to shoot several times no problem... But that is the upper limit for repeated enjoyable shooting for her.

While I don't have too worry on price too much, I'm not one to throw several grand around when 1500 would do. Just means more money left over for ammo.

I got thrown into this situation where I can go and do this... Get what I want... And I feel like a deer in headlights. At a loss from the possibility.

I'm very lucky I feel...

1stmar
May 27, 2014, 06:21 PM
I am biased but I'd go with the m1A, I have the scout version and love it. It's a good shooter, with irons.

marine6680
May 27, 2014, 08:29 PM
I found one today in the store... I liked it. It is like the SOCOM but a couple inches longer barrel and I like the front sight better.

So now... What about the other two.

1stmar
May 27, 2014, 08:39 PM
If you reload. 308 bolt would be a good option and minimize brass,die, bullet components. What's your budget?

marine6680
May 27, 2014, 09:29 PM
Budget... for everything I want...

Lets just say... enough. Several thousand at least. I can vary the amount as needed if the right rifle puts me over a bit.

skizzums
May 27, 2014, 10:27 PM
if your a reloader, pick up a 300BLK over a 7.62x39, just more versatile and fun

marine6680
May 28, 2014, 06:09 AM
I reload... But not enough to pick up too many calibers.

1stmar
May 29, 2014, 10:39 AM
Scout new will be $1500+ a good bolt w scope probably run close to $900-1000. Plenty of good bolts out there, I'd start with savage. If your looking for heavy barrel type, take a look at the fcp w McMillan stock. Can get it in 308 and at most you should only need a bedding job to make it a great shooter

marine6680
May 29, 2014, 08:01 PM
Savage was one I was looking at. And the MVP from Mossburg.

1stmar
May 29, 2014, 08:36 PM
Either is a good choice. Both should be capable of moa at 200

Unlicensed Dremel
June 1, 2014, 09:50 AM
If you don't have a high-quality, LIGHTweight, middy 16" AR15 in 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel, you should. 6.8 SPC is everything the 7.62x39 should have been, and more. Why wouldn't anyone want a 7.62x39 these days?

But just to understand, your current plan is to get three rifles? So are you settled on one turnbolt and two semis, or two turnbolts and one semi? Or are you open to other actions like pump or lever?

If undecided, I'd get the one semi I described above, and two turnbolts: A lightweight .223 rem, and a light or midweight or or mid-heavyish in a larger chambering, either .243 or something bigger in a 6.5mm or 7mm.