PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into (or out of ) a P99 or SW99

Contrast Man
May 1, 2014, 08:34 AM
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't really NEED a new pistol, but I kind of want one. That's healthy, right? :)

I've always preferred a DA/SA action and I never stop hearing or reading about Walther. I've never actually fired or even held a P99, but I have rented a PPQ. This was back when they first came out and were pretty dang popular. It was also around when I began shooting, but I wasn't a big fan of the PPQ. It felt a bit "flippy" with the recoil. Again, probably because I was new and still not the greatest at controlling recoil. (I'm still not great but I like to think I've improved some! )

Anyways, based on the above and your experiences, would you suggest/recommend a P99 or even a SW99 as a potential pistol?

Side notes: I don't have a specific purpose in mind for it and it would be in 9mm.

Thanks!

doofus47
May 1, 2014, 09:27 AM
I like my p99 as. I have it in 40, but I shot the 9mm p99 at a rent-a-range and loved that also.
Plus, prices are more reasonable now...
Oops, I guess I'm doing the opposite of talking you out of it.

Dirty_Harry
May 1, 2014, 10:01 AM
I cannot comment on a 40 model, however I have owned a SW99 for 6 years and have put 5000+ rounds through it. I "think" it had had a failure to feed.........once. I like it better than any Glock I have owned.

Fantastic pistol. I dont clean or lube it like I should either. It has been my bedside gun for years. I just ordered an IWB holster for it so I can carry it. Very accurate and boringly reliable.

I plan to upgrade to a PPQ soon, and the logical thing to do would be trade or sell the SW99. I cant do it. We have bonded. Plus the DA/SA trigger is better for carry.

99.9% of bad you hear about them is from people who dont own one. The Walther is a sexier gun, but the Smith is just fine. I bought mine in 2008 for $400 OTD. Best $400 I have spent.

Fishbed77
May 1, 2014, 10:31 AM
Anyways, based on the above and your experiences, would you suggest/recommend a P99 or even a SW99 as a potential pistol?

Frankly, I can't think of a polymer-framed DA/SA pistol that is better than a P99AS. Especially since they can be found for well under $600 these days.

NO striker-fired pistol has a better trigger feel than the P99AS (even the excellent PPQ). The Anti-Stress (AS) trigger is a brilliant piece of engineering that makes for a system that is reliable, safe for carry (much more so that pretty much any other striker-fired system IMHO), and great for the range as well.

The P99 also benefits from excellent ergonomics (that many other manufacturers have tried to copy, but most have never gotten quite right), and an excellent reputation for reliability and durability. As a bonus, high-quality mags (MR-branded mags which are identical to Walther-branded mags) are now inexpensive (under $25) and easy to find online, which was not always the case for P99 mags.

Gbnk82
May 1, 2014, 10:36 AM
Never shot one and honestly don't really care to I simply don't like them especially compared to some other modern designs that can be had for less..but even though I dislike them doesn't mean they are no good they get a lot of praise and generally are known to be good pistols

carguychris
May 1, 2014, 10:55 AM
I think the prior posts have the pistol's advantages pretty well covered. Here's my personal list of downsides.

Paddle-style mag releases are not for everyone
Aftermarket support does not measure up to Glock, M&P, or even XD standards
Comparatively high bore axis gives the pistol more muzzle flip than its competitors, although I find this much more apparent in the .40 version
The P99AS .40 that I test-fired consistently clocked me in the middle of the forehead with ejected cases :mad: (no such problem with the 9mm)

FWIW one potential drawback of the SW99 is that it may fall into somewhat of a never-never land in terms of factory service; I've heard a couple of 'Net reports of people attempting to call S&W for service and being told to call Walther instead. That said, getting inexpensive and expedient factory service for ANY used pistol that's long out of warranty- particularly a LE trade-in (like most used SW99's in circulation)- can be difficult, regardless of what it is.

wnycollector
May 1, 2014, 05:03 PM
I'm the happy owner of a SW990L compact 9mm. The pistol is utterly reliable in 700 rounds. It has eaten Russian steel case, RNL re-loads and all sorts of JHP and not a single hiccup. It carries easily IWB, but shoots like a full sized pistol at the range.

I like this pistol so much that I'm on the lookout for it's .45 big brother to add to my collection.

kcub
May 1, 2014, 05:15 PM
I had a p99c as .40 that was a good gun. Utterly reliable. I have 2 HK P2000sk's in the same class I liked better so it got traded off yesterday on a Wilson.

7Left
May 1, 2014, 08:21 PM
I don't have experience with a P99 but I currently own a PPQ. For the most part, the PPQ and P99 are extremely similar if not the same, with the exception of the trigger. Between the 2 you mentioned, I'd get the P99.

The grip shape and contours of the P99/PPQ is very comfortable, probably the most comfortable among striker fired polymers. The Walthers do feel top heavy because of the higher bore axis and lightweight polymer frame, most notable with an empty magazine. I agree that they do have more muzzle flip, but it's light enough that I've gotten over it. Unless you're a complete newbie to pistols, I think it's easy to get passed that issue.

I was new to the paddle mag release, but I quickly came to appreciate it. YMMV. The P99/PPQ are definitely unique and I'm pleased with my version. I've been thinking about selling it to fund something else to carry, but I can never find a good enough reason to part ways with it.

fastbolt
May 1, 2014, 08:28 PM
I've long felt the P99/SW99 pistols were very under-rated and weren't as appreciated as they deserved.

I'm probably a bit biased in this regard, though, as I own a couple of SW99's (9 & .40) and I carried an issued SW99 (.40) on-duty for a few years.

I've been through the P99/SW99 armorer class a few times, so I have at least a passing familiarity with them. (I've been trained as an armorer for Glock, M&P pistol & P99/SW99 plastic pistols ... although I did take the original Sigma class back when they were new, as that class was tacked onto the last half day of the regualr 3rd gen class.)

As with the Glock, I tend to prefer the 99 series chambered in 9mm, myself, although one of my SW99's is the standard size .40 (SW9940).

The DA & SA trigger pulls are pretty nice, and they only get better with use. (The SA trigger of the regular Walther P99 AS/Anti-Stress models, including the SW99's - are actually a bit lighter than the SA trigger of the PPQ, just comparing factory numbers.)

They're generally considered to be reliable, robust and durable.

Not as easy from an armorer's perspective to service and maintain, perhaps (and Walther doesn't even want armorers fooling around with the sear housing blocks as a routine matter).

Walther parts can be pricey once the warranties expire. This is where the PPQ offers an advantage, as Walther offers a limited lifetime warranty to American buyers of the PPQ, unlike the 1-year warranty offered with the P99AS/QA/990 guns. Maybe this will change as they do more business here through their own import company. Dunno. Haven't dealt with them, as I was trained as an armorer by S&W and dealt with the S&W and Walther America parts depts.

Good guns, overall.

carguychris
May 2, 2014, 08:35 AM
For the most part, the PPQ and P99 are extremely similar if not the same, with the exception of the trigger.
This is true of the PPQ "M1", "Original", or "Classic"* with paddle mag releases.

However, I'll reiterate that magazines do NOT interchange between the button-release PPQ M2 and the paddle-release P99, SW99, and Magnum Research MR Eagle. If you buy a PPQ M2, expect to pay near MSRP for new factory mags if you want spares. Spare mags for the paddle-release models are all interchangeable within a given caliber and frame size, and are substantially cheaper and more abundant than M2 mags.

*FOOTNOTE: AFAIK these names come from the enthusiast community, and are not official Walther designations. Although some Walther employees have used them, the paddle-release version is most likely still designated simply as the PPQ.

reticle
May 2, 2014, 08:53 AM
I have two P99s. They are both 1st generation OD green framed pistols. To me and everyone else who has seen them, they are very handsome guns. Those of us who have shot them, become quick converts. Unlike the Glock striker design, the P99 has multiple strike capability, has a decocker and ambi mag release. Mine have been as reliable an easy to maintain as other guns of mine which cost twice as much. Finally, P99s are some of the most under appreciated polymer pistols available so the prices are low.....for now. I think it's notable that those who love them, really love them and those who don't, only kind of don't.

Here are mine:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/azimyth/025_zps56461dbe.jpg

Dirty_Harry
May 2, 2014, 09:28 AM
Those are some fine looking guns! I would love an OD green P99.

Contrast Man
May 3, 2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the excellent info! It's definitely getting the top of my list once the gun fund establishes itself.

Question though; is Walther still producing the P99? I know the SW99 has long been out of production, but Walther's website is unclear on that matter.

Dirty_Harry
May 3, 2014, 03:14 PM
I believe they are, but they are hard to find.

joshobrien77
May 3, 2014, 05:58 PM
I have shot them in 40. Not a big fan of the mag release. Other than that they were great guns.

kinoons
May 3, 2014, 06:50 PM
NO striker-fired pistol has a better trigger feel than the P99AS (even the excellent PPQ). The Anti-Stress (AS) trigger is a brilliant piece of engineering that makes for a system that is reliable, safe for carry (much more so that pretty much any other striker-fired system IMHO), and great for the range as well.

I'll provide the dissenting opinion. I hated the P99AS trigger, but love my PPQ. In AS mode there is a small "bump or click" where you could stop the trigger pull and the trigger would stay in the short SA mode. That small click in the trigger pull drove me crazy. I much prefer the PPQ to the P99.

If you want to start comparing safe striker fired pistols then the HK P7M8 also gets to come into the discussion.

With that aside, as stated above, the PPQ V1 and P99 are extremely similar. If you liked the PPQ, but disliked the trigger, the P99 is likely very good for you.

ShelbyV8
May 3, 2014, 09:09 PM
I am a fan of DA/SA and I find the SW99 to have a very good trigger very short and distinct reset and the release is very crisp. All internal parts are made by Walther . MR Baby Eagle is made under the same type contract that S&W had. MR makes the slide and barrel Walter provides the frame and all internal parts. The SW99 has became my favorite carry pistol, I have it in both 40 and 9mm.

fastbolt
May 3, 2014, 10:17 PM
Question though; is Walther still producing the P99? I know the SW99 has long been out of production, but Walther's website is unclear on that matter.

From their website ...

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/p99/#.U2Ww8FceCb8

Fishbed77
May 4, 2014, 10:35 AM
Yes - Walther is still producing both the full-size P99AS and compact (Glock 26-sized) P99c AS. I see the full-sized guns fairly regularly in local gun stores. The compact gun had vanished for a while, but Walther claims that more are coming into the country and they will become more readily available.

peterparkerv2
May 6, 2014, 07:10 AM
This video will make you buy a P99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_q3iNGjfA