PDA

View Full Version : SR45 trigger

Metal god
April 27, 2014, 05:08 PM
Well I now have a little under 400rds through the new Ruger . When I first started shooting the gun I loved everything about it . I have now come to hate the trigger . I really don't like the fact I have no idea when the gun is going to go bang . It's really a lot like shooting a DA pistol . My first shot of the day yesterday surprised the heck out of me . I was pulling the trigger and the gun went bang way before I thought it was going too . I mean to the point it startled me .

This is going to have to change . It makes it that I don't like shooting it . It works fine and is accurate as all get out but I don't like the idea of not knowing when exactly the hammer will fall .

I guess I may grow to love it . I should add I'm not really a hand gun guy . My thing is rifles and long range shooting . I can't pass a rifle with out checking it out . Hand guns don't really tickle my fancy . I like them but not like rifles .

So are there any after market triggers ? Are all SR series guns the same ? Except for the obvious parts are the parts interchangeable like the triggers , mag release etc

I'd like it to be more like a 2 stage trigger or even a sigle stage with a lot less creep . Anything like that out there for the SR45 ?

passtime
April 27, 2014, 09:29 PM
The SR45 trigger was a new experience for me also. It definitely took me a while to get used but I have become a better shooter because of it. Since I have gotten used to it I have come to like it. I have over a thousand rounds through my SR45 now and I really don't think about the trigger to much anymore. All I know is it allows me to knock the center out of a paper target at 15 yards with know problem.

nazshooter
April 27, 2014, 11:31 PM
That's odd and a little disappointing to hear. I really like the trigger on my wife's SR9 and am considering an SR45 for that reason.

Oruglock
April 27, 2014, 11:50 PM
On Friday I was firing an SR45 against a RIA 1911 as a test, both guns I own, but I was firing the 1911 for the first time. I didn't feel that the SR45 had any trigger problems.

I always understood that the trigger break on a handgun should surprise you, in that it is quick and clean, and reduces potential flinching.

Did you feel the trigger was too light, or maybe not enough take up before the break point?

A quick Google search shows that most people love the SR45 trigger. I wonder if rifle triggers are very different, as that's what you're used to, and you just need to get the feel for the gun more.

Metal god
April 28, 2014, 12:58 AM
I want to be clear that I don't feel there is anything wrong with the trigger and it appears to work just fine . The issue is how it works really .

I always understood that the trigger break on a handgun should surprise you

Really for accuracy that should be for all firearms and yes my rifles have very different triggers and feels . 2 and 3 pound pulls with zero creep before they break .

The problem I have with this Ruger is I wanted to use the SR45 for SD/HD . Right now I'm not comfortable with it because of the surprise I have when it fires .

My XD trigger is more like a two stage trigger . Light 2lb take up then it stiffens up and the last bit of pull is a heavier 5lb break with very little creep .

My 22/45 is 2 stage-ish as well 1-1/4lb take up with a crisp 4lb break with almost no creep at the break

With both of those above I have a good idea when the firearm is going to fire because they both have that last little bit thats heavier to pull .

Did you feel the trigger was too light, or maybe not enough take up before the break point?

The wieght of the trigger is fine but IMO it has way to much take up/creep

The SR45 has a long striaght 6lb creeping pull untill it fires . There is no point in the take up/ trigger pull that lets me know the hammer is about to fall it just all of a sudden goes bang . That is good for accuracy and punching holes in paper but I'd like to have a better feel for when it's going to fire for a SD/HD gun .

Like I said before it's more like a double action trigger long constent pull until it fires or maybe like a mil-spec AR trigger . Long heavy creeping pull then bang .

TunnelRat
April 28, 2014, 01:31 AM
It works fine and is accurate as all get out but I don't like the idea of not knowing when exactly the hammer will fall .

There is no point in the take up/ trigger pull that lets me know the hammer is about to fall it just all of a sudden goes bang .

I'm not trying to be a pain, but there is no hammer.

Metal god
April 28, 2014, 02:02 AM
I'm not trying to be a pain, but there is no hammer.

:) No problem :) I think of it as a universal term as to when the gun will fire . Dropping the hammer has always been what I say . Everybody knows what dropping the hammer means . If I said releasing the striker a lot less people would know what I was talking about and is why I equated it to a DA pull ;). By definition I'd have to say a hammer is a striker as well , so revolvers all have stickers and therefore must be sticker fired guns . What would be the term used when talking about bolt action rifles . You can't just say pulling the trigger . There are many that you can pull the trigger , have the trigger move and yet the rifle does not fire at first because of the creep . Kinda like my SR45 . There not two stage triggers either but it helps explain my point .

giaquir
April 28, 2014, 04:40 AM
Morning!
I'm prolly gonna catch a lot of flack but
I always want to know when a trigger breaks.:)

Bultaco
April 28, 2014, 09:05 AM
I have never wanted to be surprised by the trigger on a pistol. I want to be able to take up the slack & then know when I will be applying the final pressure in slow fire. In rapid fire there is not time to feel where you are in the trigger pull. You find your sight picture & press through. The lack of after market products for the Ruger is an issue. I have a M&P .45 that had a bad trigger but dropping in the Apex trigger etc. turned it into a pleasure to shoot. One of my issues with many of the Ruger products is the lack of attention to triggers. They are strong, durable products but not always refined in this area.

jr24
April 28, 2014, 10:31 AM
Sounds like my old Ruger P89's trigger. I understand the dislike.

Is that a common concern with the SR45's triggers? If so that's disappointing since both my SR's have really nice triggers (SR9c, SR40c) with almost no creep after take up and a clean break (the 9 is better than the 40, however).

Ah well, both the SR9 and SR40 had worse triggers (to start) than the compacts, maybe that'll happen again when the eventual SR45c comes out. I just hope it gets more than 6 in the mag.

Idaho Spud
April 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
I'm prolly gonna catch a lot of flack but
I always want to know when a trigger breaks. Not from me, I hate not knowing when a trigger's gonna break. I have an SR40 that does the same thing....on the first shot. Subsequent shots fired from reset are OK, though. Like the gun otherwise, it's accurate, fills the hand perfectly, but that first trigger pull! OTOH, my SR9c has a consistent pull. Same trigger, so they say.

passtime
April 28, 2014, 11:34 AM
For me not knowing when it breaks is the beauty of it. It helped me to notice problems I was having with proper trigger pull. When I choose to fire the SR45 I put my finger on the trigger, point and pull. No easing into it, just a good steady pull on the trigger and boom. Unlike a rifle where ordinarily I would set up on the target/game and line up the sight, take a breath, squeeze to the breaking point, exhale, pause, fine tune my aim and fire. In self defense mode and I know I am going to fire. I put my finger on the trigger, point and fire. The fact is either you like the SR 45 trigger or you don't. I learned to like it. The more I shot it the smoother it got. It is as smooth as butter now. I would not want that kind of trigger on a hunting firearm but for self defense it serves me well.

MR_X
April 28, 2014, 12:12 PM
One thing that is very important to learn with the SRs is to find the point of reset after pulling the trigger. I don't know if you are doing it but try this. Shoot your first round and keep holding the trigger back. Let it go slowly till it reset, then shoot it again. Keep repeating that. See if that is more consistent.

Metal god
April 28, 2014, 12:46 PM
Reset gives almost the exact same pull . only real difference is not having to depress the safety tang and maybe a tiny bit of light creep .

When comparing my XD to the SR . I'm not sure of the name but I'll call it the trigger sear . The part that drops out of the way and releases the striker .

On the XD the trigger sear for the most part just drops straight down releasing the striker when you pull the trigger .

On the SR45 it appears to push the striker back a ways before dropping down and releasing it .

They are to very different trigger pulls , resets and releases .

bedbugbilly
April 28, 2014, 04:43 PM
I don't have a SR45 but I do have a SR9 and they should be pretty much the same. The trigger on my SR9 is fantastic - for me - but I have always been primarily a pistol shooter - not a rifle shooter. That may be part of your problem in getting used to your SR45.

I understand what you are saying in regards to not knowing when it is going to go bang, but I really think that will come the more you shoot it. If it concerns you enough that you are hesitant to use it for SD/HD, you might want to give Ruger a call and talk with them. They have excellent customer service. Be clear with them as to what your's is doing and your concerns. It mary very well "be you" - but I would think it would be worth a call. They might want you to return it so they can check it out and if there is a problem, they'll fix it. Just because my SR9 and somebody else's SR45 works fine with a great trigger, doesn't mean that there couldn't be a problem with it. The most you're out is a phone call.

I once bought a used 380 Bersa - went out to where I shoot on the farm and it ate anything I fed it. BUT, the previous owner had "worked" on the trigger and I soon discovered that the first DA shot was fine - great trigger pull - but when it went in to SA, all it took was a breath on the trigger to set it off. I put several magazines through it shooting SA and had repeated "double shots" from just light trigger pressure - not a good thing for a SD/HD CCW piece.

Personally, I love mySR9 and would love one of the SR45 models. See what Ruger has to say and if more shooting practice doesn't help.

WildBill45
April 28, 2014, 05:38 PM
one of the last things they replaced on my Ruger SR45 is the trigger, a new VERSION! It is much better, and when asked why they replaced it since my trigger was working; they said Ruger did it to be nice, and new version I never heard about...

Metal god
April 28, 2014, 06:13 PM
Is the new trigger different then how I describe mine is/works ? Do you know if and or when they started using the new trigger in distributed SR45s ? I bought mine 2-1/2 maybe 3 months ago . Any idea I I have the new trigger .

As for the SR9 . I had been wanting one and did handle the SR9c a few times . I never fired one but if I remember right from dry firing . I believe they are a bit different . I don't remember it having the same long heavy pull . I remember it having a much quicker clean break but I did not dry fire it a lot , maybe 20 or 30 over a few different times looking at the firearm .

WildBill45
April 28, 2014, 06:25 PM
The trigger is smoother and more defined is all I can say about it. It was installed about a month ago...

Oruglock
April 29, 2014, 02:35 PM
I'm wondering if my SR45 has the new version trigger Wildbill45 mentions. It was 'born' on Dec 7th 2013.

I don't feel a straight pull and then a sudden break, I feel a gradually increasing pressure pull until the break, but I can still pull plenty before the break comes, and hold my finger on the trigger pre-break if desired.

I have an XDm .40, and the trigger is quite different: longer soft pull, then much harder pull, then the break. This gun was born 24th October 2013.

I had a long chat with a range officer last Friday, and got to shoot his Walther PPQ. He spent a while explaining how good the stock trigger was, and how I ought to get one. I shot a tight group with it, everything within the 9 ring on a 10 yard target. He also suggested I get different sights.

I had been firing my SR45, a RIA 1911, Glock 17, and M&P9. I shot tight groups with them too, all within the 9 ring. With the Glock I put three consecutive round in the bull and called that a day. With the 1911 I put all seven rounds from one magazine in three holes, and that made me grin.

I'm not trying to boast (well, maybe a little, I was kind of impressed with myself), but to me a trigger is a trigger, and you get used to anything with a little practise.

The RO said I should concentrate on one gun, upgrade the trigger and sights and I'd get more accurate, and no doubt I would, but for me right now the fun is to play around with caliber and make. I don't want to limit myself to one gun all the time, and I'm only competing with myself for fun.

You can spend a bunch upgrading or changing triggers and sights, and then the day you really need your upgraded gun it's not available for some reason. I prefer to keep my options open.

Metal god
April 29, 2014, 03:50 PM
I can still pull plenty before the break comes, and hold my finger on the trigger pre-break if desired.

This has been my experience as well . I was trying to find that spot to hold pre break but never found the perfect spot . Sometimes it would break right away other times I still had quite a bit of trigger pull left . This I guess has been my point all along . Even when I think I know it's going to fire I don't .

Metal god
May 1, 2014, 01:46 AM
Well I thought somebody would suggest the ghost trigger that they make for the SR9 . I must assume since nobody did, it does not fit or work in the SR45 ??? Is there any other after market triggers for the SR45 ??

WildBill45
May 2, 2014, 05:58 PM
'm wondering if my SR45 has the new version trigger Wildbill45 mentions. It was 'born' on Dec 7th 2013.

I doubt it but don't know, because I had my trigger switched out at the factory just a month or so ago!

Dragline45
May 2, 2014, 06:02 PM
I hear this complaint alot about the SR series pistols, personally it has never been a problem for me. Sounds like you need to shoot it more or do some dry fire practice to get used to it.