PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mk. 1 question

Fugit1ve Wizard
April 21, 2014, 08:16 PM
I am the proud owner of a 5" bull-barreled Ruger Mk. 1. It was produced in 1969 and it has had a hard knock life, though somehow still runs like a top. I was hoping that some older, more experienced shooters could weigh in on what should be done with this pistol. I would like to refinish the gun and replace some parts that aren't looking so hot but several people I know have told me that a gun that old has earned its patina and unless it's broke to not fix it.
It is my only .22lr caliber and I shoot it most every range trip, But seeing as how the gun is a few times older than myself, I figured I would give the idea a fair shake. Opinions?

James K
April 21, 2014, 08:21 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I own a Mk I that has had a lot of work done on it to make it shoot very well. I have no intention of changing it.

Jim

hodaka
April 21, 2014, 09:35 PM
Enjoy it till it breaks then ask Ruger to rebuild it.

Fugit1ve Wizard
April 22, 2014, 08:40 AM
Here's a few pics for reference, Really didn't capture the grip area but the finish is shot right down to bare metal. The right side is the most dinged because it's previous owner took "truck gun" to a whole new meaning. I figured Ruger wouldn't bother with a gun that old so I was looking at local guys to fix it up. Now that I know I'll just wait until it stops running and see if Ruger will tune it up for me.
My second question is: If Ruger is willing to do repairs on the gun, how much might it cost? I'm thinking the extractor, pretty much every spring, firing pin, bluing, grip panels and screws (though not entirely necessary)

gyvel
April 22, 2014, 09:20 AM
Wow! That poor old thing really has had a rough life, hasn't it.

44 AMP
April 22, 2014, 09:25 AM
, though somehow still runs like a top

This is what the old Rugers do. It may have the crap beat out of it in the outside, but keeps on running, and usually running well.

Timex advertised it, but wasn't the only thing from those days to "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' ".

since you say it runs like a top, I wouldn't even consider replacing any internal parts. Simply no need.

Yes, I'm in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it group. I'm also in the group that believes that the Ruger Mk I should only be disassembled if something stops working. You can, literally keep the pistol clean and running for decades without needing to disassemble it. They are a bit tricksy to get back together.

The wear on your gun's finish goes beyond what I consider "honest wear". Not sure if it ought to be considered abuse or just neglect.

Before you go to a local gunsmith, (or worse, someone who calls himself a gunsmith, but isn't) call Ruger, and ask them about your gun.

That way, you will have information to make an informed decision.

Quentin2
April 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
Wow, that's one time when holster wear would be better! My 1976 Mark I Target sure had an easier life, cosmetically. But yours works as good as mine and others so I wouldn't worry much.

gyvel
April 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
since you say it runs like a top, I wouldn't even consider replacing any internal parts. Simply no need.

Based on my own experiences with high-round count Rugers, it certainly wouldn't hurt to change the recoil spring assembly.

g.willikers
April 22, 2014, 09:51 AM
Heck, it's just experienced looking.
If the appearance bothers you, just keep it as it is, and buy a newer one to go with it.
Hardly a necessity, though, as it will probably keep going for a long time, yet.

hodaka
April 22, 2014, 12:11 PM
I like the looks, especially the wood grips.

lee n. field
April 22, 2014, 12:18 PM
Opinions?

A target model. Cool.

Clean it, shoot it.

Pahoo
April 22, 2014, 01:18 PM
At any given point in time, we only have two choices. We make our selection and move on to a new set of two. If this was in my hands and I had to make the choice, I'd leave it as is. You seem to be getting good service out of it and there is nothing wrong with the obvious repairs. .... ;)

Most of the improvements you are thinking of making, are pretty much cosmetics and it probably won't shoot any better. Functionality is what matters most. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Fugit1ve Wizard
April 22, 2014, 07:42 PM
I appreciate the responses, and will be heading to the range tomorrow (weather permitting) for some can-killing. I am looking forward to seeing how much more range time the thing will stand before it stops running. :D

44 AMP
April 22, 2014, 09:03 PM
Its a Ruger, pack a lunch!
:D

lee n. field
April 22, 2014, 09:11 PM
how much more range time the thing will stand before it stops running.

Be a while, I think. Maybe your heirs will finally break it.

Rogervzv
April 23, 2014, 09:02 AM
I would go ahead and replace the recoil spring. Takes ten seconds and a couple of bucks to buy the parts.

If you send it in to Ruger they will quote you a price. I had a Target Mark I I sent in and they told me before I sent it in it would be $80. They ended up charging me nothing and they had the gun back in my hands in a week. My gun, unlike yours, did not really call for re-bluing. I imagine that they would charge for that.

Me, I might send it in. It would be back in a week and then you would know that the gun had a whole new life ahead of it!

mxsailor803
April 23, 2014, 09:15 AM
I don't know if I would even change the springs. Let it ride.

g.willikers
April 23, 2014, 09:57 AM
There is one reason to get a spare recoil spring.
The little tab that holds it in place can sometimes break off.
It's hardly a common occurrance, though.
As for the spring itself, the one in mine is twenty years old and the original.

Rodger_p
April 23, 2014, 10:34 AM
I personally like the "experienced" look of it.

blfuller
April 23, 2014, 01:47 PM
My Dad had a standard Mk I that had seen better days. He wanted to fix it up and I sent it in to Ruger for a reblue. The pistol came back looking like new with the exception of the grips that had a few dings in them. I believe the cost was around $75. They replaced worn parts and didn't charge for it. we were very pleased with the service. This was quite a while ago so the cost may have changed.

tipoc
April 23, 2014, 01:50 PM
Looks good to me.

tipoc

Wyosmith
April 23, 2014, 01:58 PM
"Enjoy it till it breaks then ask Ruger to rebuild it."

Man---------you better get REAL good at waiting.

If you want it reconditioned you just need to make the decision. If you are going to wait for the gun to fail I'd be leaving notes to that effect to you great grand kids.

Jim Watson
April 23, 2014, 02:16 PM
Mk Is are serviced in Prescott. Looking at the chart on http://ruger.com/service/serviceFees.html#
Ruger will reblue it for $110, including return shipping
A shipping tag is $30, so it would cost $140, including "reconditioning" whatever they mean by that. Certainly they would do any needed repairs very reasonably.

Many years ago, a friend wore out a Blackhawk and sent it in with a check based on their parts list prices and hourly labor rate. He got the gun back completely overhauled and refinished... and some change.
They will probably still treat you right.