PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Arms Company?

barnettamb
April 14, 2014, 11:31 AM
I have my great grandfather's old Alabama Arms company single shot break action 12 gauge. Theres really nothing about it on the internet that i can find, so does anyone know anything about the company or have one?

RJay
April 14, 2014, 12:26 PM
There is the very real possibility that Alabama Arms Co. was a ' Trade Name' used by a local retail store. During the first half of the 20Th century it was common for a hardware chain or even a local retail hardware store to order firearms form one of the large sporting goods wholesalers with a custom roo mark. Wholesales such as H&D Folsom would stamp a roll mark of the customers choice, as long as the order was 12 shotguns or more and the customer paid for the cost of the die. Crescent firearms Co is one of the prime suspects ( owned by H&D ) but there was an number of other gun companies that followed the same path, Davis, Stevens, Meriden, Iver Johnson, H&R and so on and so on. I can not find the name of Alabama Arms co. on any of my list but that means little. There several hundred trade names on the various listing and the list is not complete nor will it ever be.

James K
April 14, 2014, 02:02 PM
One source found by Google says it was a trade name used by Harrington and Richardson.

Jim

PetahW
April 14, 2014, 03:01 PM

Good/clear pics of the action might help further separate it's ID from the usual suspects.

barnettamb
April 14, 2014, 03:28 PM
i will post pictures as soon as i can get them ( tonight or tomorrow night). thank you for the replies that is very interesting.