PDA

View Full Version : 9mm separation

igousigloo
March 28, 2014, 07:59 PM
I have a target shot at a private indoor range, fired 8 shots and have 12 holes in the target. Second target fired 6 shots and have 10 holes in the target. Backstop is 2' x 3' with steel on the back and 1" of rubber on the front. 8 of the holes in the paper did not penetrate the rubber. 9mm 124 gn berrys bullets hollow base flat point. 4.0 grains red dot for a charge. We found six lead washers of about 9mm diam in the back of the range. These were the first hollow base that we have fired. Any one having a problem with this?

the357plan
March 30, 2014, 10:59 AM
Rubber on steel backstop? Are you sure a couple them didn't just bounce back through the target?

bedbugbilly
March 30, 2014, 12:09 PM
Hmmm . . . . 4.0 gr of RD doesn't sound like it would be too hot for the HB bullets . . . but . . any chance it's blowing the HB ring off when the round goes bang and sending it down range? Are the holes in the target round or tears? Do the washers you found look like they are the HB skirt?

If it was at a pubic range and someone was shooting next to me - I'd blame it on them - I have had that happen where the guy in the next stall over shoots at my target instead of his. If you were shooting alone though . . . it makes you scratch your head! :confused:

I only shoot lead flat base - 120 gr TC in my 9mm over 3.5 gr of BE - it cycles my SR9 very well but I consider it more of a plinking round as I could load hotter but then I'm still using a flat base bullet. I've never used HB nor the bullet you are using - is this the first time you've used this load? If not - any problems before? It would be interesting to load up a few a bit milder and see if the same thing happens - if your handgun will cycle OK - that might help answer your question?

Please let us know if you figure it out . . . :)