PDA

View Full Version : Question for Illinois Gun Owners

wpcexpert
February 20, 2014, 10:36 AM
I may be moving to Illinois for a few years. As soon as I found out that it is a possibility, I started researching hard for any and all information related to Firearms as well as Hunting regulations.

I found out that I will be required to obtain a FOID card.

Are the firearms that you own somehow linked to your card as a type of registration? If I am in possession of a rifle, will an officer be able to run the FOID card number and see that I own it?

Also, I couldn't find any specific restrictions as far as magazine capacity and other stuff like CA has.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

globemaster3
February 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
Having just left IL, I can speak to that for you.

When I applied for my FOID, there was no information collected on my weapons IIRC. You cannot purchase ammo, nor even hold a firearm in a gun store in that state unless you show your FOID. The FOID really serves no useful purpose, as you still must fill out a 4473 and have a NICS check done for firearm purchases.

Per IL law, the state police are supposed to provide you a response within 30 days of receiving your application. This is almost laughable, as nobody I know who applied were replied to nearly that fast. If you are military, that adds an extra wrinkle, as the application asks for IL ID. Most military folks I knew applying, including myself, supplied PCS orders, copy of Military ID, state DL, and found our applications set aside because we lacked IL ID.

If you deer hunt, something to pay attention to is the shotgun slug only requirement. East of St Louis, I found public land horribly over hunted and leases uber expensive.

g.willikers
February 20, 2014, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't you rather live in Indiana and commute?

DT Guy
February 20, 2014, 05:26 PM
Having lived her nearly my entire life, I agree: move to Indiana and commute. Shererville and St. John are nice, as is Munster.

Larry

shaunpain
February 21, 2014, 05:29 AM
There will be a record of you being a gun owner, but there won't be any specific records of your purchases other than the bound book and your transfer document which the federal law of ten years applies. The state police instituted a new program on the first of the year where you must verify the buyer's FOID with the number and date of birth for all private transfers. Takes a matter of minutes. Wait periods apply for all transfers.

I own a healthy amount of guns and I live in Chicago proper. Shocking, huh? Let's just say you couldn't pay me enough to live in Indiana.

Welcome to the Land of Lincoln!

wpcexpert
February 21, 2014, 09:24 AM
Well, this makes me feel better. I am in the military and am hoping to moving to the Scott AFB area, thus living in Indiana isn't feasible.

I will just take it as it is as a temporary thing and will adjust as necessary.

Thank you all for the information.

Art Eatman
February 21, 2014, 10:16 AM
Best luck on the deployment...