PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet for colt m4 carbine

Firefighter88
February 7, 2014, 05:24 PM
I received a bayonet as a gift for my colt m4 carbine. It barely won't fit over my flash hider. Kinda want some opinions and advice. I hope this is the right place for my topic. I thought about filing the inside of the bayonet ring so it will fit over the flash hider but I don't know if there is a specific fit or proper fit. I don't want to ruin the bayonet either. Thanks!

chiefr
February 7, 2014, 07:59 PM
No bayo will fit if you want the blade flush with the barrel end on a LE6490 that I know of.
Frankly, I do not know why the bayo lug is there. On the other hand, there are some custom bayos out there.
IMHO, I would just leave it alone.

Firefighter88
February 7, 2014, 08:42 PM
It's a le6920....but ya that's what I have heard. Thanks for the input

Quentin2
February 7, 2014, 10:34 PM
Assuming carbine length gas, the bayonet lug is located to work with a military length M4 barrel, 14.5", not the 16" barrel (the shortest rifle barrel we civilians can legally get without a tax stamp). I haven't given much thought to solutions, hopefully someone can help you.

However, the midlength gas system does position the bayonet lug so it will work with a 16" barrel.

kraigwy
February 8, 2014, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the M-9 bayonet, the bayonet for the M16a2 though the M4.

This is what it looks like on the M4. If you have a 16 inch barrel then you can expect the barrel to extend another 1.5 inches.

You're not gonna hurt the m-9.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/bayonets/websize/M-9%20bayonet.jpg

I have all the bayonets for US rifles from the Krag to the A2. The M-9 (shown) is the most handy. I keep mine in my 4 Wheeler for emergency fence repairs. Wire cutter on this puppy works better then any fencing pliers I've used. Heavy enough to dig with.

JimDandy
February 8, 2014, 03:54 PM
Gotta agree a lot with that last post. If you're putting a bayonet on a SA Rifle/Carbine and need it to function as a bayonet, you've got bigger problems than how well it fits. But they are incredibly handy utility knives for camping/survival etc.

Ridge_Runner_5
February 11, 2014, 01:59 AM
A 16" barrel with a midlength gas system will hold one fine, though. :D

http://i.imgur.com/YgrSPtuh.jpg