PDA

View Full Version : Magazine disconnect

Sharkbite
February 3, 2014, 03:52 PM
So... Ive got a Ruger MKIII 22/45 that has a mag safety.

It prevents the magazine from seating properly or ejecting from the pistol. On a SD gun thst might end up in court i would never deactivate this feature

Im thinking on this gun its gotta go

Thoughts???

Uncle Malice
February 3, 2014, 04:04 PM
I don't have a MKIII, but I don't know why the disconnect would prevent the magazine from loading or ejecting... sounds like something is off.

James K
February 3, 2014, 04:16 PM
Aside from questioning the suitability of carrying a .22/45 for defense, I have to think that something is wrong, perhaps the gun was disassembled and reassembled improperly, or there is something wrong with the magazine.

Is the magazine the correct one and, if you have more than one, does the problem happen on all of them?

Jim

Sharkbite
February 3, 2014, 04:21 PM
I didnt say anything about using this gun for SD.

The gun has done it since i got it outta the box with all 5 mags i have

My quest was about the advisability of removing the mag safety

James K
February 3, 2014, 04:25 PM
My misunderstanding of your post. Sorry.

If the gun came new that way, I would contact Ruger and arrange to return the gun, either directly or through your dealer. The magazine safety should not interfere with anything.

Jim

DealHunter
February 3, 2014, 04:30 PM
My Mk III 22/45 does the same thing and I've been told it's due to the magazine disconnect as well.

http://rugerforum.net/tandemkross/96013-steel-ruger-mark-iii-22-45-magazine-disconnect-bushing.html

Sharkbite
February 3, 2014, 04:48 PM
I dont care if this piece has the safety feature. Its just plain annoying to swap mags:mad:

Im dropping it off at the smiths tomorrow. Lets see how it works with the pesky safety removed

MandolinMan
February 3, 2014, 04:51 PM
Sharkbite-

It prevents the magazine from seating properly or ejecting from the pistol.

Can you clarify what you mean exactly? It could be there a problem with your gun as others have already mentioned. If its like my mark III, the mag disconnect prevents the mag from dropping free, it has to be manually pulled from the gun after the catch is released. Just part of the nature of mag disconnects.

I considered removing mine, but since its not used for defense I never really thought it worth the while to take it out. It is annoying though.

Sharkbite
February 3, 2014, 05:17 PM
Well... That Tandomkross bushing looks like just the answer. Just ordered one and will install myself. $10 and DONE

Thanks for the steer

44 AMP
February 5, 2014, 02:35 AM
I hope it is $10 and DONE. Seriously.

I suppose this is a case where gun laws are good for somebody's business.

I don't know the Mk III in detail, but in general, a magazine disconnector has to touch the magazine somehow, so it "knows" when the mag is there, and when it isn't. There are a number of mechanical ways this can be done, and should be done so it doesn't cause any drag on the magazine when ejecting it. But this is seldom the case. To make sure it works, the mechanism is often somewhat overbuilt and does cause drag. On a sport pistol like the Ruger .22, its a small matter, really. On a defensive pistol, its a limitation.

One thing it should never do, on any pistol, is interfere with the magazine seating properly. The kind of problem you have should have been done right at the factory. If it wasn't so complicated and expensive to ship a handgun, it should have gone back to the factory for the fix.

As it is, you're probably better off, and money ahead getting an aftermarket part that will fix your problem (assuming it does). So thank you gun laws (covering shipping) for the jobs you support in the aftermarket industry, and the fact that the maker doesn't have to spend time and money doing warranty support work, which doesn't give them a great deal of incentive to fix the problem or see it is right the first time. Or maybe even know there is a problem....

ohh, are we feeling snarky tonight, or what?;)

I've got a mark I, had it since the early 80s, and within its limits, its worked so well I never felt any need to "upgrade" to the newer model(s). From what I've heard, Ruger crammed so much poorly thought out cr...er features.. into what was basically a good design that there are a lot of issues with them.

Again, thank you gun laws, and the fear of gun laws yet to come...:rolleyes:

Pilot
February 5, 2014, 05:51 AM
The mag disconnect on the MK III is a huge pain in the ahhhhh, neck. It is easily removed with the installation of a bushing. I would also advise to remove the LCI, and replace with a blank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53d8ucGbcqM

dayman
February 5, 2014, 08:26 AM
I was going to do the same to mine - after hearing what a "must" it is when i was still shopping, but after shooting it for awhile I don't think it's all that big of a deal.
The mags don't drop free, but it's not a gun where fast mag changes are necessary (at least for me).
If it bothers you though, it is a pretty easy fix.

Fishbed77
February 5, 2014, 09:11 AM
Get a Sam Lam hammer bushing and remove the mag disconnect.

Problem solved.

Dragline45
February 5, 2014, 10:04 AM
Despite what others are saying, it is indeed the magazine disconnect, and there is nothing wrong with your gun.

The magazine disconnect does this to all of the MKIII's. Basically it prevents the mag from dropping freely, and when inserting the mag it requires a whack on the bottom of the magazine to properly seat it.

Sharkbite
February 5, 2014, 10:13 AM
This^^^^

Ive got the part ordered and it already shipped. Should be fixed in a week or less

Again its not a huge deal... Just annoying to my OCD nature. Siht should work right!!!

Dragline45
February 5, 2014, 10:32 AM
While you have the gun apart, look into doing the slingshot mod. It will let you slingshot the bolt on the 22/45, best part about the slingshot mod is it costs you nothing.

Sharkbite
February 5, 2014, 01:24 PM
What does the mod consist of?

Dragline45
February 5, 2014, 02:05 PM
Removing detent ball and spring. I used this guide. I did this Mod 3 years ago and have never had any problems through thousands of rounds.

http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm#ssmod

The website itself is a great wealth of knowledge for any work you need to do on your 22/45.

RX-79G
February 5, 2014, 02:15 PM
Does the detent ball just fall out, or is there something retaining it in the button?

Sharkbite
February 5, 2014, 05:47 PM
The loaded chamber indicator doesnt bother me. I dont use it... I check the chamber. So the LCI just goes unnoticed on the side of the pistol

Is there some benifit to removing it??

Guv
February 6, 2014, 03:10 PM
Mags don't drop free from a MkII either.

RX-79G
February 6, 2014, 03:14 PM
They did on mine.

VaPlinker
February 16, 2014, 01:13 PM
I installed the TandemKross bushing to undo the magazine disconnect feature. I didn't really do this to juggle mags on the range, but to make field-stripping and reassembly a little less frustrating. As it comes from the factory, the magazine has to be inserted so that the trigger can be pulled at several points in disassembly and reassembly. Not a big deal, but an unappreciated complication.

It may be me, but after doing the mod, not only did the magazines eject fully, and I have a slightly easier field stripping task, but pulling the trigger during actual shooting is smoother, and I have a better 'feel' of when the gun will fire when slowly pulling the trigger. Before it felt a little gritty, and the actual firing point felt unsure.

Between this which makes the trigger more to my liking and my other mods (Hogue grips, Firesights) my first shot is more accurate, and my groups are tighter.