PDA

View Full Version : Do you help guys/gals out at the range or keep to your self .

Metal god
January 5, 2014, 02:43 AM
For me I'm a helper . I like to walk the line and either watch and learn or help and teach . Yes I do realize I don't really know that much but at times It kinda blows my mind how little others know . Yet there they are with there $ 5k rigs .

I'm that guy that brings all the tools I may need and a few more just because I really don't know enough to know what I need . There fore I'm often letting others use my tools while at the range . There has been days that I was at the range for 8 hours but only did about 4 hours of shooting . Reason being , I was helping or learning from others .

By helping out and just being nice I've shot some very nice guns as of late that I could have only dreamed of shooting .

Now to the point of the thread . I was Just walking the line and noticed a shooter using a bolt action rifle flip the bolt up very aggressively then slam it back down then up again . Clearly the bolt was stuck . Just before I started over to ask what was going on . The shooter grabbed a cleaning rod , shoved it down the bore muzzle first to pop the case out :confused: . Well at times that could need to be done so I let it go and moved on . I stopped a few lanes away from them and was talking to another shooter . I then noticed the other shooter out of the corner of my eye do that whole routine again , not once but 2 out of every 3 shots fired . :eek:

They were doing this in a way that appeared that this was the norm for them and the rifle and was a non issue for them . They were shooting hand loads and from a far seemed to have some experience with shooting .

I never did go up to them and ask why they were having to do that all the time . My thought was they were shooting way to hot of loads and that was causing the sticky bolt/case sticking . It's been bothering me though , the one time I really should have stuck my nose in to somebody else's business and tell them that was likely unsafe , I didn't . Maybe it was something less dangerous then hot loads but I still feel I should have said something .

So are you a helpy helperson or keep to your self ? what would you have done ?

Crashyoung
January 5, 2014, 03:18 AM
I'm a helper when asked, or if I see something very wrong,
like someone having extraction problems.

That guy using a rod to extract, I would have asked if that
was typical for that rifle, or was the extractor bad.

The only time I wish I had not helped, was when I was asked
to shoot a rifle because the owner wasn't hitting paper. It was
an ultra light high power, and I suspected it would bite, so I
tucked it in tight, touched her off, and hit one inch from the X.
I handed the rifle back and told the guy he was flinching.

I packed up my gear and went home and iced down my shoulder...

TheDoubleDeuce
January 5, 2014, 03:36 AM
Well the guy who runs my range is kind of a jerk. Maybe it's because I'm not part of the good old boys club. So I don't go out of my way to help him. I will help other people at the range if they need it. Has scored me some ammo before too. But I try not to be nosy.

That said, safety concerns will definitely warrant a stern address from me.

SHE3PDOG
January 5, 2014, 04:21 AM
It is really annoying when people try to "help" you when you don't ask them to, so I tend not to do it much. I don't mind when people ask me stuff or strike up a conversation with me, but it seems a little rude to just give advice out to people who didn't ask for it, even if their 5 yd groupings look like they're shooting shotshell. They probably won't listen anyway. If there is something that is interfering with safety on the range, I would have no problems correcting them though.

PawPaw
January 5, 2014, 06:39 AM
There's one guy at our public range, he's there almost every time I go out, and he sets up on position #1, the far end of the range. Nice guy, quiet, and brings a half-dozen rifles. I had watched him for several months quietly going about his business, firing rifles, always different rifles, and one day I noticed him having problems, so I wandered down the line, not to pester him, but to just make sure he was okay. After he got his problem sorted out, he noticed me and I introduced myself. Turns out, this guy is a very prolific gunsmith locally and I had never met him. All those rifles he's shooting are customer rifles and he's either trying to diagnose a problem or making sure that he's fixed a problem.

Nowadays when I go to the public range, if he's there I acknowledge him by name. Just a simple greeting. I try not to pester him, but if I have a problem I'll wander down the line and get his opinion. Not everyone having problems at the line needs help. Sometimes, especially in my friend's case, he's probably forgotten more about rifles than I'll ever know.

ndking1126
January 5, 2014, 07:17 AM
I'm a helper, but I'm a talker first! I've found you kinda have to judge what people do and don't want help with. Sometimes they don't want to talk at all. Or they are nice enough to talk, but don't want advice. I'm with you.. I've shot some pretty awesome guns just because I struck up a conversation with someone. I usually have a plethora of tools with me also.

Now if its something downright unsafe, it's a good idea to at least tell them. Maybe they'll thumb their nose at you, but maybe they'll say "Thanks! I'm still learning!"

Nothing to spend time worrying about, but I'm thinking you probably should have said something to the guy you mentioned. I hope I would have said something if I saw it.

tobnpr
January 5, 2014, 08:30 AM
Unsafe? Talk to the RSO if he doesn't see it first, and have him do the talking...

Advice, as said above...I might just start a conversation and then try to casually interject some if I really think I can be of help.

When we're at the 1000 yard range, it's obviously all "serious" shooters, so there's generally a lot of conversation, sharing ideas, loads, etc.
Most are more than happy to talk (brag :)) about their stick.

PetahW
January 5, 2014, 10:10 AM

I'll always give a fellow range user a friendly nod/hello, since I'm not a loner, and will readily respond if/when asked for assistance/opinion - but I would never intrude or impose myself on another shooter's business, unless the shooter was exhibiting unsafe behavior/activity that would affect anyone other themselves.

Most times, though, I'm the only person on the range - since I'm retired & go whenever.

Rifleman1776
January 5, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm a helper. I bring tools and extras that can fix many jobs. My main shooting passion is traditional muzzle loaders. I bring many ram rods, really sturdy range rods, to help with many tasks. I even have a lot of tools. However, in recent years I have found many people reject help and advice. They seem to know better than the experienced people around them. Bad safety practices I report to the range officer.

wogpotter
January 5, 2014, 10:37 AM
Being an RO there are two ways to deal with this & I go for the "helpfull RSO with all the tools", one rather than the "Range Nazi" approach.

Usually I stay out of the way unless I see something unsafe being done that puts other shooters at risk.

My theory is that if someone wants help they will ask for it. If I see someone obviously struggling with a problem, but not being a safety concern I let them try to solve it before offering help.

I'm constantly amazed by the people who rush in to a situation, frequently offering incorrect advice that has not been asked for, & then getting "shirty" when they are rebuffed, even if its done politely.

Willie Lowman
January 5, 2014, 11:01 AM
It depends on what range I am shooting. There is a range two hours from my house where everybody knows everybody. Everybody knows each other's guns. There are spare parts on hand and folks go out for dinner after shooting.

There is a range 20 minutes from my house where people get this scared "oh no, a stranger is talking to me" look. It is a rare thing to encounter a person or a group at this range with whom any dialog can be exchanged.

Damon555
January 5, 2014, 11:22 AM
I go to the range to shoot. I'll help out if someone asks but mostly just mind my own business. I'm not interested in talking to the guy trolling behind the firing line just looking to strike up a conversation. That's the guy that will usually start complaining about politics or gun control.

Many folks at the range I frequent know their stuff but they are mostly like me...they keep quiet and just do their shooting. The folks dishing out their unsolicited advice get ignored for the most part. A lot of them are full of malarkey and I'm experienced enough to know it.

But don't take it personally that I don't want to chat.....I'm there for one reason and that doesn't involve flapping my gums.....but a sure way to get ignored is to start yakking about something that you read on the internet.....

Chuck Dye
January 5, 2014, 11:27 AM
I rarely have the opportunity as I shoot on my own land or, if at the public range, in groups that tend to isolate my attention. I try to be helpful to strangers when asked, but curb my enthusiasm when it comes to inserting myself, uninvited, into a stranger's shoot. Believing I have thus established some bitching rights, I can be a bit short with uninvited "experts."

Heading off safety issues is, to me, required, not being "helpful." Doing so needs diplomacy tailored to the situation. After all, doing so makes me one of those uninvited "experts."

Sierra280
January 5, 2014, 11:37 AM
I always enjoy talking to people at my local range. As far as helping others, I've been asked to spot for people sometimes (when they can't see their holes in the target) and I always have tons of orange peel targets and foam ear plugs in my bag I'm happy to give out if anyone needs them.

As for approaching someone who is having hardware problems from firing hot loads, I steer clear. One day I took my girlfriend to the range, a gentleman next to us shooting some handloads in his rifle had one stick so hard he tapped the bolt open with a hammer, then proceeded to load and shoot another one! At that point I moved myself and my GF another bench down away from him. I didn't want to make any suggestions. If someone doesn't understand the danger of shooting loads that are exhibiting dangerous pressure signs; best to just give them a wide berth.

buckhorn_cortez
January 5, 2014, 12:44 PM
I belong to a private gun club. I only go to the range when I'm sure can shoot by myself - keeps the entire experience hassle-free. I don't bother anyone else, and they don't bother me.

Jim Watson
January 5, 2014, 01:04 PM
You just have to make a judgment call. Some people will listen, some will not.

I see a lot of people like buckhorn. If they come in to our club range and see one or two shooters on a field with 7 benchrests, ample space for standing or prone with rifle or precision pistol, and two action pistol bays, they will turn around and leave.
Why?
Don't want to give away their secret techniques of marksmanship mastery?
Don't want to show they do not shoot as well as they talk?
Fear that I and a colleague or student are Platt and Matich, ready to murder them for their guns and car?

TheDoubleDeuce
January 5, 2014, 01:10 PM
Don't take it personal, Jim. I won't turn around if there are people at the range, but I do feel more comfortable when I'm alone. If anything, that way I don't have to make sure everyone else at the range is being safe. I live in a college town and there are a lot of bozos doing crazy things with $100 rifles. I have plenty of hundred dollar rifles myself - but geez some people need to learn how to be safe.

TheNatureBoy
January 5, 2014, 01:59 PM
It depends on the other person to tell you truth because I'm a very engaging/outgoing person and I'd be more than happy to help anyone who needs it. I've had people approach me with a "hey buddy, mind if I show you something" and it was much appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

buckhorn_cortez
January 5, 2014, 02:40 PM

I see a lot of people like buckhorn. If they come in to our club range and see one or two shooters on a field with 7 benchrests, ample space for standing or prone with rifle or precision pistol, and two action pistol bays, they will turn around and leave.
Why?
Don't want to give away their secret techniques of marksmanship mastery?
Don't want to show they do not shoot as well as they talk?
Fear that I and a colleague or student are Platt and Matich, ready to murder them for their guns and car?

Why? Because if I want to go change targets, go retrieve a target etc. I don't want to have to coordinate the entire procedure with a "cold range" calls etc.

Don't want to worry about bothering people with my rifles that have muzzle brakes.

Don't want to fight with people about who's brass is on the ground.

Etc., etc., etc.

For me, shooting is a solitary pursuit. If I want to setup a chronograph - that's what I want to do without coordinating it with other people.

The remainder of your screed is an attempt to put people down and mock them because they don't conform to your preconceptions...open your mind and learn a little tolerance of other people.

Erno86
January 5, 2014, 02:49 PM
I guess I don't mind when someone wants to talk about events or things when I'm at the range; unless I'm loading a black powder muzzleloader --- because the proper protocol is not to talk to a person while he is in the process of loading a muzzleloader --- no explanation required.

I also wouldn't want to strike-up a conversation with someone who is getting ready to take a shot; unless it might be a safety violation. I also wouldn't want to sound like a loudmouth at the range; unless I'm calling the range hot or cold.

Still...I don't seem to mind when one of the RSO's comes up behind me when I'm shooting a metallic spinner target offhand at 100 yards with my 22 rifle or pistol --- when he says --- "I don't hear your spinner clanging" or "I still didn't hear anything." --- LOL

Metal god
January 5, 2014, 03:35 PM

Agreed and that's more then OK .

I like to think I don't butt in . You can tell if the other shooter wants to talk or be left alone . I do try to respect others on the line and never interrupt . If I do want to talk I'll wait for eye contact or some other acknowledgment before bothering them .

I just feel it out and some times I say something and other times I don't . Example . I was shooting next to two guy that were shooting there ARs with irons on one and a red dot on the other . They were shooting 6' away and we talked back and forth just a little about what make of rifles each were shooting , ammo ( small talk ). After about an hour or so I realized the guy with the red dot was still not even on paper at 50yds . I heard them talking and making adjustments to the optic . There not on paper at 50yds and they are making adjustments like 3 clicks up or 5 clicks right . The target is 2'x2' Since we had already been talking I went ahead and ask if I could help and bore sight the rifle for them . It turned out he needed to come down 35 clicks to get close . He did not believe me at first and only came down 10 clicks . 20 more clicks and a very surprised look on his face , he was on paper . Once he was on paper I left them alone and just a few more mags he was dead on . He later came over thanking me for the help . He then told me he was at the range the weekend before and never got on paper . :eek: I just said no problem happy to help . We talked small talk some more and before we all had left I was shooting there rifles and they were shooting mine .

I have another one that could be seen as - I never should have said anything .

Guy next to me is shooting a 30-06 @ 300yds shooting sub moa . He's looking around wanting to show people how good he's new just out of the box Savage with accu-stock is shooting . We start talking because I'm there with my Savage with accu-stock . At the time I was having problems with my action screws coming loose and I said he should keep an eye on that with his rifle . I told him in the mits of are conversation the torque recommendations Savage told me to use . Here's where It may have been best just to say nothing . I asked if he had taken the stock off and did he know what he torqued the stock back down too . He said he did take it off to check out the accu-everything and just hand tightened the screws . I ask if he wanted to use my torque wrench to check how tight the screws were . He said sure and torqued his action down per Savages specs . The rifle shot like crap the rest of the day and he was not happy with me .

Thing is , on this one I don't feel bad . If your rifle is shooting great . DON'T FIX IT . We were just talking I did not say he should do anything again we were just talking . I feel this one is on him .

Most of the time my help is with shooters that need help for sure .Everything esle is me asking for help or just picking brains . Again I feel I'm pretty good noticing if I'm wanted around or not and I have no problem leaving shooters be .

Jay24bal
January 5, 2014, 03:36 PM
Unless it is a safety concern or I am directly asked a question by someone, I tend to stay to my self.

When I go to the range, I have a very specific list of things I would like to accomplish, and I know I would not appreciate someone stopping by to offer suggestions, so I tend to assume other people are the same way. My rifle range is an hour and 15 minute drive away, so I try to do as much as possible while there to offset the 2 1/2 hours I spend sitting in a car. If I spend an hour talking to people about guns, that is an hour less behind the trigger.

Sure the other "regulars" and I will make small talk and what not, but I am not going to comment on someone's equipment, their technique, or anything else really.

tahunua001
January 5, 2014, 04:03 PM
I usually keep to myself. I have had a couple guys come and take it upon themselves to correct me a few times and often times their advice goes against everything I was taught in the navy. who am I to think that my training is superior to someone elses? the way I see it,
I'm not spetsnaz.
I'm not a SEAL.
I've not had SWAT training.
I'm not a sniper.
I've not had any specialized tactical training for weapons.

my training is basic and fundamental at best, if I see someone that desperately does not have a clue what they are doing I will ask if they need a hand but I am not going to walk up and tell them that they are doing it wrong and start blowing through their ammo while "demonstrating the right way to do it". people that do that strike me as egotistical and I have completely disregarded every piece of advice I have ever been given at the range unless I paid for that advice or it was part of my military training.

semi_problomatic
January 5, 2014, 07:26 PM
I tend to stay to myself. I think I've helped 2 people. One was at Knob creek where a couple of guys rented an AR and over loaded the mags. They couldn't get it to load and were hitting the mag trying to get it to lock. I finally told them that it's a 30 round mag, not a 32. The other was an old guy sitting next to me who had his scope on canted 90* and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't zero, then had a 336 with the safety on and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire.

If some stranger came up and started offering me unsolicited advice I'd probably tell them to go climb a tree.

jersurf101
January 5, 2014, 08:42 PM
I will cautiously give help if I'm talking to someone that clearly needs it. If people are confident in their abilities and safe then who am I IMHO. I have had extensive CQB and tactical weapons training so I do chuckle to myself at some of the tacticool guys at the range from time to time.

I also like learning from others and have learned some neat tricks at civilian ranges on top of enjoying the camaraderie.

Its certainly easy to spot a newbie who needs help(no shame at all) and I normally just give them a brief class on how their weapon operates and some tips on range etiquette.(if they have asked me for help already) It seems for the most part people want help if they are unsure at the range.

Brotherbadger
January 6, 2014, 01:28 AM
Usually I keep to myself. It's just my nature as I am a quiet guy. If I know you, I may chat you up, or if you start the conversation I will gladly get to know you. I just prefer not to bother people if they are shooting.

Tomas
January 6, 2014, 06:44 PM
I'm anti-social at the range. Leave me alone.

I've had guys, as I was pulling out a chronograph, ask me if I knew what I was doing. (!?!?!)

I'm there to work, generally. Work on handloads, zeroing a new rifle, or checking accuracy for a load, or just there to shoot some groups.

You don't know how much I know, and vice-versa, so why make a hind-end out of yourself by 'correcting' me, or even offering. Everything I do at the range is none of your business, unless I'm unsafe. I don't have the time, nor inclination to deal with busy-bodies who think they may be smarter than me. I try to project this attitude when I am there, but some guys just like to hear themselves talk...to anyone who is around...they have no boundaries...it's annoying.

Whew! I guess I'm done.

4runnerman
January 6, 2014, 07:31 PM
Wow Thomas- Hope I never run into you at the range.
I myself take very much fun in helping new and old people. Mainly kids. I will offer them ( with dads consent ) to shoot any of my rifles and as much as they want. It's more fun than shooting myself.

PS-Thomas- Heard that old--Can't teach a old dog new tricks?. No matter how good you are- There just might be somebody out there that could teach you something new. Shooting is half the fun,the other half is BS''ing with other shooters.

1stmar
January 6, 2014, 07:46 PM
I have a little Tomas in me.. When I'm there I like to get my stuff done first. I usually don't have a lot of time. Once I'm done doing what I need to though, I'm happy to help or learn.

Guv
January 6, 2014, 08:02 PM
I told a guy one time he ought to buy some factory 7mm Mag ammo because his buddies hand loads were wiping the head stamp off of his casings! :eek: Dude was using cigarette butts for ear plugs too.

spacemanspiff
January 6, 2014, 08:18 PM
I'm polite and nice, but I dislike getting into long conversations with complete strangers. I have to do enough of that with my nightjob, and when its my personal time, I prefer to be the silent type.

With that said, if asked for help or an opinion at the range, I will do what I can. Been a while though since I was asked to assist a fellow shooter.

tahunua001
January 6, 2014, 08:45 PM
I'm afraid that I agree with Tomas on this one. when I shoot for fun I shoot in my back yard. when I go to the range it is because I need specific ranges and I have work to do like zero my rifle, chrono my handloads, and test my handloads for accuracy. often times the guys chatting up everyone that will listen are the ones that are completely full of it.

there is one RO who I'm sure thinks he is hilarious who I really want to punch in the face if I didn't think the fall would kill him. yes, it is hilarious that you just called my SKS a machine gun. yes I do know that the gun I'm testing hunting loads in has a bayonet attached. no I do not believe that my Ruger with a scope is an actual sniper rifle. yes I can pay you the exact amount for the chrono rental, find it on the counter behind you and hook the 3 wires up in the correct order before you can even find the sheet with rental rates and yes I know HOW IT WORKS!

there is another fellow, needs to hop on a treadmil. while testing my 9mm loads he was quite tickled at the maximum velocities I was pulling with my AR15 and then he proceeded to claim that he was getting 5000 FPS from his "ultra mag" never a caliber, just "ultra mag". then he proceeded to tell me that the IWI tavor was made by DPMS and that it was just an AR15 with a crappy conversion kit installed...

I hate most people that frequent my range, they are opinionated, arrogant, and furthermore they flat out take a dump on a plate and offer it to you as Filet Mignon.

as I have said, I have no problem helping someone that obviously needs help, IE they aren't hitting paper, they can't clear a jam, ETC but I am not going to ask them if they know what they are doing or how long they've owned that thing, I ask if they would like some help and leave it at that if they don't want any, as long as they are keeping it pointed in a safe direction I could care less that they are shooting with a chicken wing or have a cup and saucer grip. I just don't want the other know it alls to step in and do that either.

fatwhiteboy
January 6, 2014, 09:20 PM
Here in Southern California, it depends on if they have gang tattoos or not....

1stmar
January 6, 2014, 09:59 PM
Tahuna I have had that same type of experience at a local public range but fortunately never at my private range. I think the guys who spend the time and money for a private club are a bit more serious and knowledgeable. The public range is the worst, every idiot under the sun.

tahunua001
January 6, 2014, 10:11 PM
exactly why I only go there when I need something.

Metal god
January 6, 2014, 10:16 PM
Thats funny stuff :) I promise I'm not any of those guys . At least I sure hope I'm not the know it all that knows nothing . ;)

When I pull my chrono out guys ask me , hey can I check the velocity on my this or that . I say no but if you bring it over I'LL check the velocity on your this or that . That's one of the ways I've shot so many different rifles as of late . It's really no big deal though , If I want to make good use of my time while I chrono a rifle . I need to bring two of them . While one barrel cools I shoot the other . If Im just there working on one rifle I have 5 or 10 min between strings to either shoot the breeze or shoot someone elses rifle through the chrono . The lanes are very close together where I shoot ( It's a gun club but not private ) . If the chrono is set up there's not enough room to shoot anything else unless its off hand . That makes for some down time .

Yes even I , helpy helperson have had days I needed to do work and got a little short with guys . Not rude just said as little as possible till they left . I totally get what some of you are saying but I'm a helper no matter where I am work , home or at play .

101combatvet
January 6, 2014, 10:18 PM
I help or give advice only when asked and I've been ask every now and then. I've had a few people ask me to shoot their handguns to see how they group. Okay... I try not to blow off too much of their ammo. :cool:

reynolds357
January 6, 2014, 10:31 PM
I help people that can be helped. Unfortunately, most people who need the most help already know everything.:rolleyes:

skoro
January 6, 2014, 11:48 PM
I only help if asked.

Some folks learn best from their own mistakes.

Willie Lowman
January 7, 2014, 12:13 AM
I understand keeping to yourself but by the way some of these posts read, some of you guys have some pretty big chips on your shoulder.

Damon555
January 7, 2014, 12:30 AM
No chips....Just don't want to hear it from the old guy trolling the firing line looking to fill someone full of BS. I pay for a private range so I don't have to hear that.

emcon5
January 7, 2014, 11:58 AM
I generally keep to my self, but will offer help if I thank I can be of assistance without being coming across as condescending.

I don't generally go to uncontrolled public ranges, not a big fan. I understand buckhorn's attitude toward them, I have had someone shoot during a ceasefire while I was downrange at one once. I would rather have an actual range officer keeping an eye out for idiots.

My last range trip, a early 20s guy and his dad were three benches down, shooting a new looking scoped Savage at 100 yards. I didn't really pay attention at first, but after I was there about an hour, I was waiting for the next target change and pointed my spotting scope at their target to see how the Savage was shooting, and it was clean, no holes at all. I kind of listened in, and it was clear they were struggling, and had no idea where the rifle was shooting, or how to sort it out.

At the next break, I asked how it was shooting, they said they were trying to sight it in, and were having trouble. I asked if thy tried removing the bolt and doing a rough bore sighting, and he had no idea how to do that. They were using a nice front rest, but no rear bag, so offered my sandbags, and showed them how to do a rough boresight, and their next shot was on paper. As far as the scope was off, they would have never got on paper without help from someone.

We have probably all run into "That Guy" at the range. Don't be "That Guy". If you have never run into "That Guy" you are either really lucky, or it is you.

GeauxTide
January 7, 2014, 01:12 PM
I'm usually testing reloads with my Chronograph, so I keep to myself. I'll help, if asked.

dodge
January 7, 2014, 01:36 PM
I have helped and then sometimes I'll stay away. Depends on the vibes I get in watching them. On one occasion couple of guys was trying to sight in a rifle and couldn't get done and after watching them for awhile I saw that they was resting the barrel on the front rest. I mentioned to them to move the rest back under the forearm and then they was able to get it done. They thanked me before they left. I had the feeling that they was very inexperienced and really appreciated the help.

SIGSHR
January 7, 2014, 03:18 PM
I'm a Helper, let others use my screwdrivers and other tools, help them in other ways. One time I helped another owner of a Winchester M-77 magazine model, his was jamming-like mine did, showed him how gently adjusting the feed lips of the magazine ensured reliability, have helped with jams, etc. One time I took over instructing from a fellow trying to teach his wife to shoot but he really didn't understand shooting-or instructing. And she was NICE!!!

Tomas
January 7, 2014, 04:58 PM
4runnerman:

"PS-Thomas- Heard that old--Can't teach a old dog new tricks?. No matter how good you are- There just might be somebody out there that could teach you something new."

Agree 100%, I just don't want to hear it at the range while I'm busy. And I'll help if asked, but only if asked. But if I want to learn something new, that's what y'all are for. ; )

4runnerman
January 7, 2014, 06:47 PM
thomas

I har ya for sure.I guess when i head to range it's a 1/2 day thing,every Sat and Sun. I get there about 5 AM and get done about 1 or 2 in afternoon.

Stevie-Ray
January 7, 2014, 07:17 PM
I generally keep to myself unless asked for help. I've learned to be chatty at the outdoor ranges, when relaxed, and everyone else is, and all business in the indoor ones where you're paying by the hour.:D

homesick
January 7, 2014, 09:41 PM
I seldom use the range on week ends any more as I found that's when most issues seemed to take place. For the most part during the week it is the regulars mostly every one keeps to him/her self. There is always a cold range BS session going on but hot range every one tends their own business.

BrianThomas
January 7, 2014, 09:48 PM
I’lll help out when asked. I also try to compliment the younger kids at the range…encourage the next generation of shooters.

Gunplummer
January 7, 2014, 10:14 PM
One or two guys on the range and it is usually slow. Lots of times just sit between guns cooling and drink coffee, talk about deer in the area. People that get annoying with their "Knowledge", well, I just mention a little friendly shooting for money.

skoro
January 8, 2014, 08:10 AM
I seldom use the range on week ends any more as I found that's when most issues seemed to take place.

^^^
This x 10

I haven't gone to my local range on a weekend in years, and then only to requalify for my CHL. There's a whole lot less congestion and fewer know-it-alls on a Tuesday morning at 8 am. Not to mention dangerously underinformed safety violators just waiting to perform their next ND.

I like to do my thing with a minimum of interference from and to other shooters.

FiveInADime
January 8, 2014, 09:28 AM
Being in Phoenix, AZ and having Ben Avery in my backyard, I go out to test loads once in a while when it's not practical to drive out in the desert. It's almost always extremely crowded and you have every type of range creature there. There's a lot of downtime with the 15-minute shooting intervals, so it's hard not to talk to the people at the benches next to you. I'm a young guy and I really appreciate talking to the old timers and checking out other people's rigs. Once the shooting starts I am all business, though. I've never been asked for tools or tips from anyone but I always bring my range tools and I would let anyone use them.

101combatvet
January 8, 2014, 12:07 PM
If I asked everyone at the range if they needed help when would have time to shoot?

fatman73
January 8, 2014, 03:32 PM
I keep to myself but am friendly as well. I spend all my time taking care of others as a father and husband and work well above a 40 hour work week. The last thing I want is "help" when I'm at the range.

coalroller
January 8, 2014, 03:51 PM
I like to walk around and bs, find out what people are shooting etc.....

reynolds357
January 8, 2014, 04:34 PM
I often get annoyed at people I meet at the range that do not know me and find themselves compelled to tell me how I need to do things. What many of them do not seem to understand is:
1. I am not trying to zero the rifle; I am shooting for group.
2. There is not "one shot 4" from bull at 9 o'clock and 2 misses." There are three almost in the same hole at 9 o'clock.
3. If I wanted the rifle stock tight against my shoulder; that's where it would be.
4. If I happen to be cleaning between every shot, there is a reason for my doing it.
5. If I have a piece of paper laying on my barrel, there is a reason for it being there.

Metal god
January 8, 2014, 09:12 PM
5. If I have a piece of paper laying on my barrel, there is a reason for it being there.

OK I'll bite . Why is the paper there ?

I'm going to say to keep the heat waves from the barrel causing a mirage in your scope .

4runnerman
January 8, 2014, 10:26 PM
Metal- I would have to say your right. I got a heat shield for mine. Makes a big difference in summer.

5whiskey
January 9, 2014, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I don't care to help out at the range unless directly asked. Human beings are funny creatures. None of us like being told what we're doing wrong. I have no qualms seeing an old-timer that's banging out 3 inch groups at over 25 yards and trying to engage them in conversation (talking pistol here). I prefer to be around people that are better than me... they usually have a casual way of bringing you up to their level without un-solicated advice giving and the like. If someone approaches me in the same manner that I approach the old timers, I'm still not going to make them my pupil. I'll speak with them, be friendly and non-judgmental or "teachy," and feel them out. If they feel comfortable asking my opinion, however, I tend not to mince words.

FWIW, I don't shoot at public ranges often. I have private land to shoot on and I rarely go to anyplace public. What I described above occurs rather infrequently, but it has happened.

FiveInADime
January 9, 2014, 08:17 AM
Metal- I would have to say your right. I got a heat shield for mine. Makes a big difference in summer.

You guys don't use a rag soaked in 90% isopropyl alcohol? Chills my barrels exterior at least pretty fast in the summer.

Metal god
January 9, 2014, 09:56 AM
No I do not but that is an interesting thought . How much does that weigh and does it change the harmonics of the barrel ? When working up loads I take and log the temp of the ammo , barrel and outside temp before each string . I try not to shoot the next string until my barrel is no more then 10* above ambient temp . When shooting in 90+ degrees it takes a long time for the barrel to cool . Thats when , if I don't have another rifle to dope or test with me . I run in to more then normal down time .

FiveInADime
January 9, 2014, 12:17 PM
I don't shoot with it on there. Just cools the barrel off nicely between strings. In the summer here in Phoenix, there's a lot of mirage you can't control anyways.

Erno86
January 9, 2014, 03:45 PM
I usually greet the RSO's and the regular's at our range with a verbal "good morning," if they happen to pass by my shooting station; or brief trips to the range house that might have committee meetings about safety and range policy.

I also volunteer for range duty like: snow shoveling, tree clean-up after windstorms, and a survey measurement/sketch of our 200 yard range for the metallic silhouette pistol shooters; that comes with $3.25 an hour range credits for my yearly range badge.

reynolds357
January 9, 2014, 10:35 PM
Yep Metal, you are correct about the paper. Just not worth properly attaching a proper made heat shield to a rifle that is a hunting and not B.R. rifle. Paper works good enough for the hunting rifles.

JohnKSa
January 9, 2014, 11:45 PM
I will always help if asked, and will usually volunteer help with getting a gun running or with something mechanical if it's obviously needed.

For example, on a recent trip, a guy was shooting some sort of low-end .22LR semi-auto that occasionally wouldn't extract the cases. I volunteered my cleaning rod to knock the case out of the chamber a few times when I realized he was going to be done shooting for the day if he couldn't get the stuck case out.

After you've been shooting a couple of decades, you get to the point that your range bag is fairly well equipped. I have handed out foam earplugs, I always have spare eye pro. and try to keep a few bandaids in the bag for minor ouchies.

On very rare occasions I will volunteer to help someone with their shooting if they're obviously frustrated, clearly don't know what they're doing and are getting truly awful results. So far, I've never had anyone react negatively to that, but as I said, I usually don't do that unless it's really plain that they need help.

BuckRub
January 11, 2014, 12:02 AM
I only go to our range about once or twice a year. I shoot in my yard about every other day or every third day. But when I do go to our range usually I'm the only one there and I go looking for brass. But last year I went and there was two men there not with each other and we strike up conversations with each other. I'll help anyone in shooting out.

Metal god
January 11, 2014, 12:29 AM
I went shooting today . I was there 7-1/2 hours and I did not talk really to anyone for the first five of those hours . Two reasons for that . 1 ) I was there to work on some things and 2 ) there was not many other shooters there . It did fill up later in the day though , by 2pm all 30 lanes were full .

Then two guys started shooting on each side of me . They were together and I offered to change lanes at the next stop so they could be next to each other but they said no it's cool . They were both experienced shooters and we all talked here and there . One was sighting in his AR at 300yds using irons so I spotted for him . Funny little side story about them . They were also shooting a rem 700 and were getting double groups just like I was when my stock was loose to the action .

The funny part was because of this thread I was not sure if I should say anything about how my rifle was doing the same thing until I torqued the action down . I did end up telling them about my issue and even had pics still in my Phone of my groups and there's looked just like mine

I asked if he knew what he torqued the action down at and if not I have a torque wrench with me :eek: . He said he was not sure and asked to use the wrench . :eek::eek: I then made it VERY clear that he did not have to do it , I'm not saying he should do it and the rifle may shoot even worse after . He then said ( you know maybe I'll wait and see if it keeps doing the same thing ) :) Thank god , think I dodged one there .

Man , some of you guys have me walking on eggshells while at the range now :D