PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't swaging more popular amongst handloaders

Pond, James Pond
January 4, 2014, 05:06 PM
It may be that I've missed them, but it seems that whenever the manufacture of bullets is discussed casting seems to be the preferred method.

However, from the little I've read, it seems that swaging has real advantages: greater degree of precision in the final diameter, fewer imperfections, no need to expend time and fuel melting lead alloy and therefore presumably few risks of lead inhalation as it is done at room tempt, with manual force.

So, why don't people opt for this more?
If I were to get into bullet making, I'd give this a serious thought given my circumstances...

mehavey
January 4, 2014, 05:52 PM
- Specialized press needed if swaging seriously considered on the same scale as casting.
- Requires wire stock from 3rd party sources
- Generally less than 8-10 BH hardness
- Low-speed (700-850fps) material design

Mike / Tx
January 4, 2014, 06:45 PM
Well to be honest I just haven't gotten to the point I can set aside the funds for the set of dies I would like to get in order to put together jacketed bullets for all of my handguns.

If building bullets for the rifles then yes it can get a bit more involved, but for the most part one can still get into it using very similar or even the same tools one uses to load normal rounds with.

There is a fellow over on Castboolits who REALLY got me interested in it when he posted up some of his bullets for the 41 magnum. Most of his bullets are made using standard pistol caliber brass which has been annealed and then formed to the diameter you need. I have watched quite a few of his youtube videos and for the most part he is using Hornady or Lee presses. A set of his dies and a Rock Chucker would suffice nicely. As for the cores you simply pour them in a standard bullet mold of a pure or somewhat alloyed lead, then squish them into the annealed case, usually a 9mm or 40, and then run them through the press to seat the core then form the points.

If I didn't have plenty sitting on the shelf right now that I don't shoot, I would have jumped right on it.

FrankenMauser
January 4, 2014, 09:57 PM
The simple answer is: The tools required are seen as too expensive, by the average reloader.

In addition, it can be a really complicated and confusing subject. There are so many die options, press options, ogive options, and accessories, that it can be bewildering for people to try to make sense of everything.

When you combine that with the requirement to have dies for jacketed bullets made for a specific type of jacket, and that they may not work with any other jacket; and that most manufacturers' dies are not compatible with other brands of presses... it just looks like a huge money-sink and compatibility risk, to most people. And, even for swaged lead bullets, the base punch, nose punch, ejector pin size, knurling, cannelluring, and other options can melt your brain.

I keep it simple, but my "redneck swaging kit" doesn't produce bullets as precise as a proper swaging setup would. My bullets are tough enough and consistent enough for hunting, but there is a pretty substantial amount of labor involved. My old thread: Something new to play with. (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478563) (I think the bullet I recovered from an Elk is on page 3 of that thread.)

http://crankylove.net/other/Swage44_5_1.JPG

Even as someone that DOES see the benefits of swaging your own bullets, I still don't own a proper swaging press or swaging dies. They're just too expensive. Every time I save up the cash to buy the tools, some other expense comes up and ruins the dream. :(
...plus, I don't want to make just one caliber of bullet. I want to swage multiple .224" bullets, two different 6mm bullets (with base and nose options), .277", .308" (with base options), .312", .430" (two nose profiles), and .432" (multiple nose profiles). So, the cost of dies is pretty substantial, even before I add up the accessory pins, punches, and nose forming dies.

chris in va
January 4, 2014, 10:47 PM
Our range officer makes his own 223 bullets from 22lr cases. His setup costs a couple grand.

A pause for the COZ
January 5, 2014, 01:55 PM
What FrankinMauser said.

If some one comes up with a 223 kit complete for $200 I am (IN) faster than a Hooker offering a 5 min freebee.:eek: That was fast...

Pond, James Pond
January 5, 2014, 03:02 PM
Interesting link. The ones you made look really cool!! Is shooting brass down a barrel not bad for the rifling though?

BTW, what is that mammoth case in the picture with the prepped soft points and a dummy .44Mag?!

FrankenMauser
January 5, 2014, 04:49 PM
The zinc in the brass actually acts as a bit of a lubricant, and the brass jackets allow higher velocity than similar copper-jacketed bullets. (Though, that's not true with thinner jackets, such as .224 bullets from rimfire hulls, since the jacket is too thin to withstand the high rpm associated with high velocity.)
As long as the brass is clean (no dirt and grit on it), it won't cause any problems. In my firearms, copper (brass) fouling is nowhere near as bad as with standard copper-jacketed bullets.

I use those bullets in both .44 Mag and .444 Marlin (both pictured in that thread); and a couple family members have used them in .44 Mag. I don't swage anything but the 275 gr version of that bullet, any more. -There was just too much labor involved in prepping the cases/jackets for anything lighter than 275 gr.

totalloser
January 6, 2014, 02:03 AM
I have to say I cringe a bit seeing good brass turned into ugly projectiles. It's neat that it can be done, but I'd rather see someone shoot cast and use that brass over and over.

FrankenMauser
January 6, 2014, 03:10 AM
I have to say I cringe a bit seeing good brass turned into ugly projectiles. It's neat that it can be done, but I'd rather see someone shoot cast and use that brass over and over.
Any .40 S&W brass I use as a bullet jacket was picked up in the desert or mountains ...where it was left to rot.

pete2
January 6, 2014, 08:06 PM
My dad and I tried it in the 60's, better to cast unless you have super equipment to do it with. Also, you can make cast bullets hard enough for mag. velocities. Swaging would be great if you put jackets on them, a bit expensive tho.

totalloser
January 7, 2014, 12:59 AM
Powder coating is another not so new but gaining favor again process. Virtually impossible to have gas cutting if properly coated as I understand.

I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Promising process, and surprisingly effective. I intend to cast and machine my own molds to cast HP undersize .001" (vs .001" oversize on most molds) so that the PC needs less sizing.

Please don't take offense, I'm just a cheapskate! :D The shells for bullets trick is really neat. Almost like PC'ing- the kind of thing that sounds like it shouldn't work! But does. :cool: