PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to ask, but Gen3 or Gen4 9mm Glock?

ZeroTX
December 20, 2013, 11:00 AM
I'm almost convinced to buy a Glock for shared use between me and my wife. Secretly, it's because I've recently decided I like them. Definitely will NOT replace my Beretta 92FS, but I am considering a Glock 17 or Glock 34, because I prefer to only deal with one main caliber in handgun collection (not interested ni caliber debate).

My question is Gen 3 or Gen 4? I've looked at both and I actually don't have a grip texture preference. Is the recoil really noticeably better/less on the Gen 4? Will the Gen 4 end up being a lemon and I'll wish I had just bought a new in box Gen 3 when I could?...

Opinions, please, particularly if you've owned both generations and particularly if you've owned a 17, 19 or 34. I know that there are nuances between the caliber models.

Thanks,

Z

Ruger45LC
December 20, 2013, 11:06 AM
We all have our opinions, but all of my Glocks used to be Gen3 models and I was at first a little leery of getting a Gen4. But, I tried one and now all my Glocks are Gen4 models and I've been very pleased with them.

Grip texture is better, I think, but the dual recoil spring setup does help lessen recoil as well. The larger mag release is a plus over the Gen3 models as well and without any backstraps installed, the grip is slightly thinner (back to front) on the Gen4 9/40 frames compared to the Gen3 models.

I can honestly say from much experience with Glocks over the years that I much prefer a Gen4 over a Gen3.

TunnelRat
December 20, 2013, 11:27 AM
I actually prefer the feel of the Gen 3 frame. Either should be good. If you're sharing it with your wife and she has small hands she might prefer the Gen 4.

EdInk
December 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
I have a Gen. 4 Glock 22 (.40) and Gen. 3 Glock 19 (9mm) and do not notice a huge difference other than grip texture. I would say it doesn't really matter.

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
I am a big fan of gen4 texture and have since replaced all of my gen3 glocks with gen4 models.

The gen3's are being phased out, so if you want one, better get on it. All 'C' models as well as the large frame gen3 Glocks(20/21/29/30) are all being discontinued as January 2014.

TunnelRat
December 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
The gen3's are being phased out, so if you want one, better get on it. All 'C' models as well as the large frame gen3 Glocks(20/21/29/30) are all being discontinued as January 2014.

What about the compact and subcompact frames?

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
What about the compact and subcompact frames?

The 29/30 are considered to be 'subcompact' guns. The Gen3 models are being discontinued.

There has not been any mention(that I'm aware of) of the smaller caliber guns like 17/22/19/23/26/27 being discontinued... although I don't imagine they will be too far behind.

NWPilgrim
December 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have a Gen2 G22, couple of Gen3 G23, and a Gen4 G27. I really like the Gen4. Even on the small G27 the large grip insert perfectly fits my hand and I shoot better with it than the larger guns. Any future Glock for me will be Gen4.

TunnelRat
December 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
The 29/30 are considered to be 'subcompact' guns. The Gen3 models are being discontinued.

I mean more the 26/27, but you're right that the term applies to more than that.

I didn't know the discontinuation was this close. Kind of shocked, but I suppose it's inevitable.

jfrey
December 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Flip a coin between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 pistols. I have a G19 in both models and shoot them both equally well. If your wife is going to share then get the Gen 4.

JohnKSa
December 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
Unless you like the Gen4 grip, there's really no reason, in my opinion, to go with the Gen4 in 9mm and it does seem that the Gen4 9mm pistols have more of a tendency to have trouble thn the Gen3 9mms or the Gen4 guns in other calibers.

In the other calibers, my personal opinion is that there's no reason to avoid the Gen4 guns.The gen3's are being phased out...Where did you get this information? The last official word I got was that the Gen3 & Gen4 lines would be continued in parallel.

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 10:09 PM
Where did you get this information? The last official word I got was that the Gen3 & Gen4 lines would be continued in parallel.

Stopped into Glockmeister the other day to drop some Trijicon HD's on my G20 and they had a notice thing posted in the case.

I had known about the 'C' models, but didn't know about the large frame models.

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
From Glock:

Gen3 20/21, 29/30

ALL“C” Models will be discontinued

The SF models will remain in production.

We will have access to produce the above models as needed for Agency sales. They will NOT be available for IOP or Sub D sales.

If you have any on order currently and would like to cancel them please let us know. This will go into effect January 2014.

JohnKSa
December 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
Could you tell if it was notice from Glock or something that Glockmeister had made themselves and posted?

I can't even find any solid rumors indicating that the Gen3 guns are being dropped from the line, let alone official word from Glock.

The notice you posted doesn't say that Gen3 guns are discontinued, it says that the Gen3 C models specified will be discontinued. As it reads, it indicates that the Gen3 20/21, 29/30 “C” Models will be discontinued. It does not say that all Gen3 20/21, 29/30 will be discontinued or that all Gen 3 guns will be discontinued.

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 10:35 PM
I don't think you're reading that correctly.

It's the 20/21, 29/30, and ALL "C" models. This is especially apparent since there are no C models of the 29/30.

It appears that the Gen3 SF models will still be in production though, so I don't think it really matters - is anyone still looking for a classic Gen3?

Here's a thread on GT - info came from Cory Denney at Glock. - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504062

JohnKSa
December 20, 2013, 11:10 PM
Ok, that makes sense. However, if you read it that way, it still doesn't say that all Gen 3 models are discontinued. Just the four Gen3 models listed, as well as all the C models.

Uncle Malice
December 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yep, I agree. I don't think there's much demand for the classic Gen3 models since the SF's are out.

I imagine the Gen3 will go away at some point, but probably not for some time. It doesn't seem like they're really losing much with this. The compensated models don't have a very big following either. I don't see them getting rid of, say, the Gen3 G19 any time soon, that's for sure! :p

RBid
December 21, 2013, 02:33 AM
Reasons to go Gen 4:
- improved mag release

- better grip texture for wet hands

- extra mag in the box

- even less felt recoil

- beavertail!

Reasons to go Gen 3:

TunnelRat
December 21, 2013, 02:38 AM
Reasons to go Gen 3:
I just prefer the feel.

whip1
December 21, 2013, 09:28 AM
When i bought my G19, I looked at both. I don't need the ambi mag release, and the Gen 3 grip fit me. I bought a Gen3 and bought an extra mag with the savings, and still came out ahead. I might reconsider once I try the beavertail grip. If you don't need the ambi safety or the adjustable grips, do you need a gen4?
The gen3 guns aren't going away. Glock enjoys selling guns in California, and they can't do that with the gen4.

RJLII
December 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a 17 and a 34, both Gen 3. I prefer the feel to the Gen 4 versions, and I figure they have all the bugs worked out. I'm looking forward to a G21 Gen 3 in my future too.

Noreaster
December 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have mostly gone over to Gen 4 Glocks but for a 9mm I would stick with Gen 3. The Gen 3 triggers are better and the grip feels right to me, (I keep going back and forth with different backstraps on my Gen 4s.) Some of the Gen 4 triggers are ok but they are not 5.5lbs (the G21 gen 4 I just picked up does have a much better trigger than the other three Gen 4s I have.) You really can't go wrong with either one.

Spats McGee
December 21, 2013, 12:23 PM
I went with Gen4, not because I really have a preference, but because that's what was available for me to purchase. I have to say that I've been happy with it, though. I've never fired a Gen3, so I can't compare triggers, but the trigger on my Gen4 is actually better than I expected it to be.

DannyB1954
December 21, 2013, 05:51 PM
I had a G23 Compensated, didn't like it. You do feel the blast in your face, and the front sight got real dirty real fast. I didn't notice any difference in recoil either.

I have a G27 in Gen4. I liked the texture of the grip better. I think the reliability issue of the 9mm got ironed out with different recoil springs. The sub compacts like mine already had the 2 piece spring without problems.

mrdaputer
December 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
I think you and the Mrs should go to a range and shoot both of them. The one that feels and shoots the best is the one to buy.

ZeroTX
December 22, 2013, 09:41 AM
I think you and the Mrs should go to a range and shoot both of them. The one that feels and shoots the best is the one to buy.

I dunno how it is where you live, but here nobody is gonna let you shoot a gun you don't own yet. Maybe a rental, is that what you mean?

mrdaputer
December 30, 2013, 10:55 AM
yes I should have been more clear.

Fugit1ve Wizard
December 30, 2013, 10:05 PM
The option of five grip set ups is a plus with the gen4 Glocks, as is the extra mag. Depending on your needs, no more money will have to be spent on magazines after the purchase of the gun. Of course, 33 round mags are always fun :rolleyes:

born2climb
December 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
I have mostly Gen 3s...one Gen 2....a couple of Gen 4s. The Gen 4s are brand new, unfired. It's hard to take tehm out and shoot them when I have Gen 3s that are used.... And the G19 Gen 2 is the go-everywhere gun.