PDA

View Full Version : "Fit it yourself" match barrels

md2lgyk
January 17, 2001, 08:03 AM
Have seen ads for a Kart .45 match barrel/bushing designed for the "do-it-yourselfer" to fit. Does anyone have experience with this product? Is it as simple as the ads imply? I'm no gunsmith, but not a klutz either. Thanks.

md2lgyk

George Stringer
January 17, 2001, 09:41 AM
Md2lgyk, most drop-in bbls will require some fitting. It the case of most 1911 bbls the hood and bottom lug or "feet" may require some attention. The work can be done with files and there should be complete instructions with the new barrel. George

George Stringer
January 17, 2001, 09:44 AM
I left out the bushing. I think you'll find that while it is fit to the barrel it may require fitting to your slide. Either turned down on the OD or opening the rear for snug fit. George

md2lgyk
January 17, 2001, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the input. This particular Kart barrel is supposedly designed for the "do-it-yourselfer" to fit, and Kart sells an installation kit with files and a couple of measuring/fitting blocks. The bushing is supposed to be already fitted to the barrel. What I was worried about was what you mention - fitting the bushing to the slide. Without some directions I wouldn't know where to start filing.