PDA

View Full Version : failure to feed/cycle ammo for XDs?

full case load
December 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Got a .45 XDs coming. Want to get some FMJ ammo during the waiting period, but don't want to buy 1K rounds that don't work. (Have access to 1K round lots, not sure where I could get smaller sample sizes.) So, the question, has anyone had failure to feed/cycle/eject with any FMJ .45 ACP round in their XDs?

Dragline45
December 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
So, the question, has anyone had failure to feed/cycle/eject with any FMJ .45 ACP round in their XDs?

As a general rule of thumb, FMJ will feed in auto's better than HP's or flat points.

But as far as your question goes, first off what brand of ammunition are you referring to? Some is better than others, but even with the most expensive ammunition you can have failures.

You probably wont get the answer you are looking for. Every now and then a gun in good working order can have a failure to feed/cycle/ or eject which could arise from a number of different things. And just because said person had a failure with that ammo, does not mean that ammo is automatically a bad choice.

You could take 3 XD's right off the same assembly line, and gun A and B could feed brand X reliably, where gun C wont. Even though the guns are built the same, they can have slight tolerance differences. Unless there is an overwhelming report of a particular brand or style of ammunition that seems to not work in a particular pistol, I wouldn't worry about it.

gregdry
December 12, 2013, 09:13 PM
I've had no problems with mine - either pre or post recall; great weapon! However, I DO stay away from the steel cased Tul-amo.

puppyface
December 12, 2013, 09:13 PM
I have been shooting Winchester Value Pack .45 though my XD for a few years, no problems. Shoots reliably with HP's also.

Dc777
December 12, 2013, 09:14 PM
+1^^

ejfalvo
December 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
My post recall 45 still runs anything, JHP, RN with zero issues.

arizona98tj
December 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
I have been shooting Winchester Value Pack .45 though my XD for a few years, no problems. Shoots reliably with HP's also.

I do believe the OP was asking about the XDs, not an XD.

That being said, yes, my XDs45 feeds perfectly with FMJ. I've shot commercial FMJs as well as my reloads, both FMJ and plated. Shot a half dozen different hollow point brands through it, as well as lead round ball and lead SWC.

full case load
December 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks, replies are close to what I thought I remembered hearing. My current ammo choices; Wolf (steel cases), PMC, Sellier & Bellot, and Federal. All 230 Grain FMJ.

Doc Intrepid
December 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately I own an XDs and have experienced 2 different failures to feed, with two different types of ammunition, from each of the 3 different magazines I own.

The two types of ammunition were basic white box Winchester and PMC .45 ACP round nose.

The two types of failure to feed involved a failure to strip the next round from the magazine entirely (i.e. slide closed, nothing chambered); and something like a stovepipe where the round is stripped off but fails to feed into the chamber (slide blocked from going home). The round ends up almost vertical.

These two FOFs occurred on multiple occasions from three different magazines. Pistol was brand new.

When I sent the pistol back for the SA recall I included a description of the FOFs and some photos, and asked Springfield Armory techs to take a look at it.

We'll see how well it functions after they return it.

Just FYI.

dayman
December 13, 2013, 04:02 AM
I had some trouble with the first round misfeeding when I was racking the the slide when I first got it. But, then I learned that you really just have to man handle the slide when racking it, and it was fine. It does not like to be racked slowly/quietly.
The springs are very stiff to counterbalance the tiny slide, so manipulations can take some getting used to. But once I got used to it, I had no problems at all, and I never had any problems when the gun was cycling it's self.

All these XDS threads that keep popping up make it really hard to ignore the empty spot in my safe. 3 months and counting.