PDA

View Full Version : Sig sauer mosquito. Any good? Might purchase today.

Dc777
December 8, 2013, 03:07 PM
I'm looking for a decent priced .22 pistol. Is te sig any good? If not, what would you recommend in the .$350 or less range?

subhuman
December 8, 2013, 04:58 PM
the mosquito likes them hot, think cci mini mags and its counter parts, it does not like the cheap stuff, does not cycle well on the cheaper stuff.
if you can find a used ruger mkll or a browning buckmark they are excellent

Vt.birdhunter
December 8, 2013, 05:05 PM
Had mixed reliability reviews for a while; I personaly saw the slide crack on a friends for no apparent reason. Sig made good.....eventually.

For reliability,accuracy, ability to modify with aftermarket parts-look at Ruger instead IMO.

Dc777
December 8, 2013, 05:12 PM
I don't want a .22 with a long barrel. I already have an old high standard with a 6 3/4" barrel. I want something that looks more modern and is somewhat compact. $350 or less. Buying new as it will be a Christmas present.

PSP
December 8, 2013, 05:13 PM
Mine was unreliable and had a horrible trigger. I really wanted that gun to work and tried, but it just was not worth all the trouble. Don't waste your time and money on it.

If not, what would you recommend in the .$350 or less range?
Any Buckmark
Sig or GSG 1911-22
Beretta NEOS
Bersa T22

These have all served me well.

Uncle Malice
December 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
The mosquito does not have a very good reputation. If you want a 22lr Sig, I would suggest just getting something like the P226 in 22lr. It's a standard P226 frame with the 22 conversion upper on it. You can later get the upper in 9mm/357sig/40s&w if you wish. Or just get the P226 in 9/40/357sig and get the 22 conversion kit to go with it. Same end-result.

I have the M&P 22 and it's been 100% reliable and very accurate for me. Ergonomics are nearly identical to my M&P 9 Pro so it makes for great practice.

Garycw
December 8, 2013, 05:45 PM
I like the sig 1911/22 or GSG $299which is the same gun. More modern would be a Walther P22 $399or on the cheap side Phoenix hp22. $150. It has a bad rap, but its nice looking, not plastic and mine shoots well.

David spargenator
December 8, 2013, 05:59 PM
Ruger makes some very reliable 22 caliber pistols and revolvers to choose from.

SpareMag
December 8, 2013, 08:44 PM
As noted, the Mosquito is not carrying tne finest rep right now and not mfg by Sig. Its kinda like the Walther 22 that is really a Umarex mfg pistol.

skywag
December 8, 2013, 09:20 PM
I own a P228, which is wonderful. So I bought a Mosquito. I was the worst gun I've ever owned, and the ONLY gun I traded back to the dealer.

Mosquito is as bad as P228 is good.

Esox
December 8, 2013, 09:30 PM
I love our Mosquitos. They can be picky about ammo the first thousand rounds but they are excellent pistols.

JohnKSa
December 8, 2013, 09:43 PM
One of my coworkers bought one and it gave him nothing but trouble. He finally gave up on it.

Fishbed77
December 8, 2013, 09:47 PM
If not, what would you recommend in the .$350 or less range?

There are many .22LR pistols in that price range that are better than the somewhat cheaply-made Mosquito. You should look hard at the Ruger Mark III or Buck Mark. Either of these pistols are much better-made, reliable, and better-shooting than the potmetal Mosquito. Unlike the Mosquito, either will last a lifetime. They can both be had with shorter barrels if you so desire.

If you MUST have a more "tacticool" pistol, consider the Ruger SR22. If won't shoot as good as the two pistols I mentioned, but will be better-made and more reliable than the Mosquito.

springer99
December 8, 2013, 10:03 PM
per fishbed - "There are many .22LR pistols in that price range that are better than the somewhat cheaply-made Mosquito. You should look hard at the Ruger Mark III or Buck Mark. Either of these pistols are much better-made, reliable, and better-shooting than the potmetal Mosquito. Unlike the Mosquito, either will last a lifetime. They can both be had with shorter barrels if you so desire.

If you MUST have a more "tacticool" pistol, consider the Ruger SR22. If won't shoot as good as the two pistols I mentioned, but will be better-made and more reliable than the Mosquito."

+1 on this. I had a skeeter once; was suckered into buying it as it looked like a real pistol and really felt good in my hands. After trying all the internet tricks to get it to be reliable and accurate, I realized that the only thing is did well was look like a real SIG! Plus that cheap, plastic, snap-in front sight was a real turn-off. Get a Ruger Mk III w/ short bull barrel and don't look back.

weblance
December 9, 2013, 02:03 AM
My Mosquito has been very reliable. I bought it new this summer, so its one of the very latest manufactured ones. There has been talk that the latest ones are very reliable, and my experience agrees with that. It runs well on Blazer, and Federal bulk, and of course, Mini-Mags. I will say that I have only shot it with a suppressor, so the added back pressure may help its reliability, but it hasnt stumbled one bit, and I shot it alot this summer. The DA trigger isnt the lightest, but its decent, and single action is nice and crisp. It has good accuracy for this type pistol. Its not Ruger Mark accurate, but it holds its own against my SR22P and Bersa Thunder 22. I would recommend one, if its what you think you really want. I like mine alot.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/PictureSmall_zps83c2252a.jpg

cryogenic419
December 9, 2013, 05:51 AM
There are better guns for the money out there. Its the only gun I have ever had regrets about buying.

dakiwi13
December 9, 2013, 07:02 AM
Have had almost every 22 pistols on the planet at one point or another, sr22 is my choice by far

Fishbed77
December 9, 2013, 11:05 AM
Plus that cheap, plastic, snap-in front sight was a real turn-off.

My brother received a Mosquito as a gift from a friend. When he opened the box it came in, the brand new pistol had the cheap plastic rear sight snapped off.

Back to SIG it went immediately for repair.

lapetrarca53
December 9, 2013, 11:18 AM
Second for the S&W M&P .22 pistol. My daughter has a Mosquito and it's pretty picky about ammo.

With .22lr availability being what it is, and already having been boxed onto shooting only a specific type of ammo with a Phoenix Arms HP22a that will only shoot standard velocity ammo, I prefer to be able to shoot any .22lr that becomes available at my LGS so, based on my daughter's experience with her Sig, I went with the M&P .22 pistol.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 12:42 PM
I think I'm now leaning more towards a 1911 variant but the price will be higher. I see that academy has a cheap one made by citadel but the reviews on the site are terrible. I see that it has a plastic magazine, so I'll pass on that. How about a sig sauer 1911? $429 at academy. I've never owned any type of 1911.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 01:03 PM
GSG is the same mfg as Sig in the 1911/22 and is a little less $. I believe I paid $300 for move when I was considering a conversion kit for .45 ACP. Discovered I could buy whole other gun for same cost and not have to change out
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/10/8avazega.jpg

GrailKnight
December 9, 2013, 01:35 PM
I own a Ruger Mk II and III both bull barrel target models and have fired too many brands to count through both of them. Aside from an occasional bad rd. the weapons just work and are a blast to shoot. Not so much to clean but I generally do not clean either one unless I have fired a couple/few thousand rds
through them.

Like the Ruger 10/22 the Mk Target models with bull barrels just plain work and are a blast to shoot. Accuracy is fantastic.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 01:41 PM
Deleted. Wrong post

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 02:07 PM
There aren't many local gun stores in my area. For the most part I'm stuck with a bass pro 15 minutes away, and two academy's about 45 minutes away, so it's really about what they have in stock. I'd like to point out that I am not interested in any long barreled pistols nor bull barrels. I already have a high standard sport king with a 6 3/4" barrel. It is the same style as the buck mark, etc

lapetrarca53
December 9, 2013, 02:37 PM
Any of those stores should have the S&W M&P .22 I would think.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 02:42 PM
The m&p looks good, but I'm really liking the 1911 too. Here is an issue that I've just read up on and havnt mentioned. I want a .22 pistol that will shoot anything. I've got over 10,000 rounds of .22 and most of it is bulk federal,Winchester, and remington. I do NOT want a gun that has to have cci mini mags or anything like that.

lapetrarca53
December 9, 2013, 02:52 PM
Then, based on my experience, you DO NOT want a Sig Mosquito or Phoenix Arms HP22a.........fact.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think anyone wants a Phoenix arms anything.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 03:07 PM
The GSG 1911/22 says hi velocity ammo, but I've had no FTF or FTF using standard either.

BB61
December 9, 2013, 03:10 PM
I will add a vote for the GSG 1911/22 great pistol thought it ran a little tight so I put a little Flitz in the rails and worked a few times smoothed it right out Think I gave 320 for it and bought an extra mag for a total of 3 Quality gun for the money

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know if bass pro or academy carries the gsg? I don't see it on either of their websites.

weblance
December 9, 2013, 03:59 PM
If you want a 22 that will shoot anything, then you want a revolver. If your local Gun Shops dont have what you want in stock. have a look at Armslist, and buy your 22 from there.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
If I get a revolver it won't be a .22 :) I'm reading all of these reviews online about these new pistols not working properly unless you use high velocity rounds yet my high standard that is older than me cycles everything. I guess back in the day things were built better. I've watched some videos of the m&p and have only seen positive things said about them. I have also looked up the ruger sr22. Although I am a ruger fan, that pistol looks too small for me. It reminds me of the ruger lcp I used to have.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 04:11 PM
I've shot many boxes of standard velocity out of the GSG 1911/22. without any problems. I did have the rails lubed good too which helps. AIM surplus may have some in stock.
Nope. Just checked. Out of stock. They were $320

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
Well well well, I just got off the phone with someone at a lgs that I completely forgot about. The guy said the gsg 1911 would have to be special ordered and it might take a week to get here, or it might take 4 months. He put me on hold for a few minutes and when he got back on the line he said Sir! This is your lucky day! There is one in the case....... $429 + tax!!! He said that it cost them $345. I think that's a little steep based on what you guys have told me the gun should cost. I also asked about the m&p22 and he didn't have one in stock, but he has heard nothing but good reviews about it. $429 for the 1911, now I'm really confused on what to do.

BumbleBug
December 9, 2013, 04:47 PM
Just in case you haven't figured it out by now, I'll chime it. I don't recommended the mosquito at all. My buddy bought one about 8 months ago & we both have shot it a lot. It is picky about ammo & it still jams occasionally & the trigger is the worst I've ever felt on a gun!

Get anything else!

cal10
December 9, 2013, 04:56 PM
Ruger SR22, mine has over 10,000 rounds through it and its still solid and shoots straight. I've had it for just under one year and I still love to shoot it. It is the most used handgun in my collection and friends and family love to shoot it. It's modeled after the Sig mosquito, but with Ruger reliability, and craftsmanship. Check out the YouTube reviews on it.

BB61
December 9, 2013, 05:02 PM
I bought my GSG about two years ago and gave 320 and remember we are in a price gouge enviroment best place to look for one would prob be at a LGS just looked them up on gun broker and they are anywhere from 350 to 495 GB is usually high but looks like the prices have gone up a bit to say the least

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 05:06 PM
Yea, that was a local gunshop that I called. Funny thing. I bought a 9mm ruger there a couple of years ago and they sold me the stainless version for $50 less than the blued version was selling for elsewhere... Bummer.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 05:11 PM
$429 is a little steep. I'm all for supporting LGS's but I see them in the 325 range. Maybe he needs to get a different supplier or brush up on his bs. Buds has them instock $312. $327 if you want the fake suppressor that screws on.

BB61
December 9, 2013, 05:18 PM
You got to remember supply and demand this guy has 1 and could be 4 months before he gets another so he's not in a big rush to sell it. So he is going to max his margin and see what happens or how bad you want it. Sometimes the shooting comminity is its own worst enemy we are sometimes willing to pay a price for what we want if you give him 429+ tax the next one will be 460+ Tax if he sits on it for a few weeks the price will come down ( I Know that is not helping you) thats just how it works sometimes

Willie Lowman
December 9, 2013, 05:32 PM
I owned a Sig Mosquito once... ONCE.

Talk about junk. Never own one again.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yea, the sad thing is not too long ago I bought a ruger 9mm from this place. They sold me the stainless model for $50 less than other stores were selling the blued version for. Heck, they even threw in a box of bullets with it. I put the bullets on the counter with the intent of paying for them and he said those are on me bud. It's really a neat store. It's a hardware store that's been family owned since way before I was thought of. It has that old look and feel to the place..... The type of stuff that most people my age (25) don't appreciate.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 06:25 PM
I want to throw this out there also..... Walther p22?? Thoughts? I ask because the gun doesn't look too bad and bass pro has them in sale for $339.99

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 06:58 PM
Yea, the sad thing is not too long ago I bought a ruger 9mm from this place. They sold me the stainless model for $50 less than other stores were selling the blued version for. Heck, they even threw in a box of bullets with it. I put the bullets on the counter with the intent of paying for them and he said those are on me bud. It's really a neat store. It's a hardware store that's been family owned since way before I was thought of. It has that old look and feel to the place..... The type of stuff that most people my age (25) don't appreciate.

Doesn't hurt to ask if hell come down & explain how he's &100 higher than other places. He may be willing to make less to keep a repeat customer?

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 07:41 PM
Gary- he told me that their cost of the gun was $340 or $345..... It wasn't the owner of the store that I spoke too so I doubt he would be lying, but who knows.

Cowboy_mo
December 9, 2013, 07:52 PM
then you won't like the Walther either. I thought I wanted one till I went to the store and actually saw it in person and gripped it. They are small.

I had a Mosquito and it was OK as long as I used the CCI ammo but as others have said, the trigger was terrible, etc. wouldn't recommend.

If I were you I would go the the local store where I could actually hold the GSG and see if you like it. If you like it, negotiate with the local owner. If he can't come down to a price you can agree on, check out the internet availability and compare prices (including shipping and FFL transfer charges) and then buy it where the price is best:D

I have checked out the Sig 1911/22s. I thought they mimicked a full size 1911 well and would buy one if I need another 22 semi-auto.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 08:05 PM
Cowboy- the problem with that is time.... This is going to be a Christmas present to myself with me paying for some of it..... I don't have the time for the Internet gig.

Dc777
December 9, 2013, 08:07 PM
Another problem is my truck being in the shop and not getting it back until next week.... I can get away with hitching a ride to the grocery store, but folks don't like driving you to a gun store and watching you play around with stuff. Know what I mean vern?

Uncle Malice
December 9, 2013, 08:07 PM
I want a .22 pistol that will shoot anything. I've got over 10,000 rounds of .22 and most of it is bulk federal,Winchester, and remington. I do NOT want a gun that has to have cci mini mags or anything like that.

My M&P 22 has been 100% reliable through over 3k rounds of both remington, federal, and winchester bulk 22. I've only shot 1 magazine of mini mags out of it. It runs perfectly on bulk stuff.

My buddy has the Ruger SR22 and his has been perfect as well through at least as many rounds - probably more. It's slightly smaller. If I didn't already have the M&P 9 - I would have gone SR22. I'm very pleased with my choice though.

Garycw
December 9, 2013, 08:59 PM
Cowboy- the problem with that is time.... This is going to be a Christmas present to myself with me paying for some of it..... I don't have the time for the Internet gig.

I'm not really advocating Buds, but depending where you're at, your ffl will have in in 3-4 days.

t45
December 9, 2013, 08:59 PM
My Sig Mosquito has performed just fine after shooting 1000+ rds thru it. I keep it clean and feed it CCI Mini Mags and no issues. :D

cal10
December 9, 2013, 09:19 PM
Where can you get CCI mini mags? Get something that is not fussy about ammo because your lucky to get any and I mean any 22lr ammo. Ruger SR22p is not fussy about ammo like the sigs, the mark II, mark III, and browning buck marks. The 1911's are a larger gun as well and require high velocity ammo to cycle. If you want one that will shoot the only ammo you can find get the Ruger SR22, you won't be sorry.

WyMark
December 9, 2013, 09:53 PM
I've got at least 20 thousand rounds through mine, and I bought it well used. Mostly I've shot the Wally Federal stuff that used to be 10 something for the 525 box. Also thousands of Blazers, Rem Goldens (lots of duds) and several thousand American Eagle. I have four mags (the 40rd AE boxes are kinda handy) and it's normal out of 40 rounds to have 1-3 ftf or fte rounds. When I get a lot more than that it's either an ammo issue or time for a soak in the gunsmith's ultra sonic tank. Mostly I view the misfires as an opportunity to drill clearing the error and getting the next shot off.

MiniMags are for break in, it tells you that in the owners manual. After a few hundred of those it should take anything. I've never actually shot any through mine.

My slide broke about 1" back from the muzzle end a couple years ago, but since it was used I didn't have any warranty. Sig charged me $100 including shipping to send it back and get a new slide.

Fishbed77
December 9, 2013, 11:18 PM
want to throw this out there also..... Walther p22?? Thoughts? I ask because the gun doesn't look too bad and bass pro has them in sale for $339.99

The P22 (which isn't made by Walther, but is actually made by Umarex) is potmetal junk in the same class as the Mosquito. There are whole websites devoted to making the P22 function properly.

Pass.

For $339, you could buy a Ruger SR22 or Mark III or Browning Buck Mark, either of which is a vastly better pistol.

Dc777
December 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
I've watched some videos and I'm starting to like the m&p 22 and the ruger sr22. I am a big ruger fan but I'm not sure how I feel about not having an exposed hammer.

pilpens
December 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
I am with Fishbed. For the money, get a Ruger MKxxx, Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 or Ruger SR22.

My 1st choice would be a Browning Buckmark. If the full sized pistols do not fit your hand, then get the Ruger SR22.

cal10
December 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
The M&P does not have double action capability. If you pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off you have to eject it reload it and try again. My SR22 has the ability to keep pulling the trigger and the hammer keeps hitting. Winchester ammo sometimes takes 2-3 strikes to fire, and if it doesn't then I eject it. It always has several strike marks on the rim so I know it's not the gun but the ammo that's the problem. Bulk ammo is about all you can find these days and it sometimes needs to be hit a couple of times to go off. The exposed hammer on the SR22 is a cool option if you want to carry it loaded with one in the chamber. The double action ( long trigger pull) keeps you safe from a misfire. Once it's fired you are in single action with a light trigger pull, and you can always draw your gun and cock the hammer so you are in single action mode. The S&W is single action only so carry safety might be an issue.

Dc777
December 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
This won't be a gun for carry, I tote a ruger p89 as my ccw. I just want a .22 to plink with. I have no interest in a buck mark or that stle of gun as I already have a .22 target pistol with a 6 3/4" barrel.

Uncle Malice
December 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
The M&P does not have double action capability. If you pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off you have to eject it reload it and try again. My SR22 has the ability to keep pulling the trigger and the hammer keeps hitting. Winchester ammo sometimes takes 2-3 strikes to fire, and if it doesn't then I eject it.

I have never experienced this. I train to not both with trying to fire again. If the round fails to go off, there's an almost 0 chance of it going off with a restrike, so to me, a second strike is just wasting time. If there's no bang, I always follow a TRB protocol.

jbrown27
December 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
+ however many its been for the s&w m&p 22. Have around 2000 rounds through mine mainly bulk ammo and haven't had any problem but for 1 box of American eagle standard velocity. I love this pistol .

Dc777
December 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
I'm sure liking both options, but I really like having he option of pulling the hammer back on a handgun..... Decisions, decisions.

Trooper Joe
December 11, 2013, 04:11 AM
My Mosquito from two years ago, was absolute junk. I finally took it back to the dealer and traded it in, plus $50, for an unfired Ruger Mrk II, anniversary model, NIB. I could have kissed him. Love that Ruger.

I don't think much of Bersa guns (my go around with a Thunder CC model ended up with Eagle Arms, the importer, giving me a new gun). So, I opted for an all black Thunder 22 LR model which is a lot better than a Mosquito.

My favorite, hammer fired .22 auto, is my recently acquired, almost new, Beretta 87. This thing is really in a class by itself.

Those of you who are having good luck with the Mosquito, God Bless You.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/Berettaa87Cheetah22LR.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/Berettaa87Cheetah22LR.jpg.html)

dayman
December 11, 2013, 05:33 AM
Wow, a lot of people didn;t seem to read I don't want a .22 with a long barrel. I already have an old high standard with a 6 3/4" barrel. I want something that looks more modern and is somewhat compact. $350 or less. Buying new as it will be a Christmas present.

With that in mind, and since the Ruger sr22 is too small for you, you might want to think really hard about going the 22 conversion kit route.
Personally, I had a great time with the Walther p22. But it's as small as the ruger, and a lot of people seem to have trouble with them. A lot of people seem to have trouble with most of the non-target model .22s. The SR22 really seems to be about the only one that generally gets good reviews.

If you have a Glock, 1911, or any one of the other full size pistols that have a conversion available, you can get a conversion that will not only shoot .22 but also provide you with extra time with your favorite trigger.
It's not as exciting as a new gun, but you might find it fits your needs/wants pretty well.

As to the .22 1911's
Am I wrong or are they not virtually all made by GSG? I was under the impression that the paint and trim were about the only differences.

Lastly, have you looked at the Ruger 22/45 lite (http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html). It's much shorter than the standard target models, looks a lot more like a "regular gun", and no longer comes in the obnoxious gold color scheme. But, it's still built around the gold standard of .22 actions, and has great after market support.
Plus it has a threaded barrel so you can add a suppressor some day. Or a muzzle break if you're feeling silly.

weblance
December 11, 2013, 06:15 AM
My Bersa Thunder 22 is accurate, reliable, and has a steel slide and aluminum frame. Its a good choice for a non Target type 22 autoloader. GSG doesnt make all the 1911-22s. Umarex makes the Colt series. I have the Gold Cup, and while decent, its also Zamac construction. There is a steel 1911-22 offered by Rock Island Armory/Armscor. It has a cut away slide, like the Beretta autoloaders, to allow proper functioning with 22 ammo. It comes in 2 versions, a combo kit with a 45acp and a 22 LR slide, or just 22 Long Rifle.

http://us.armscor.com/products/xt-22-45-combo

http://us.armscor.com/products/xt-22-standard

Dc777
December 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
Dayman- I was wondering when someone would read what I posted- kudos

Jeff22
December 14, 2013, 12:40 AM
One of my co-workers has a Sig Mosquito. (Until a few months ago our issue guns were Sig 226s. We have since converted to Glock 22s)

He reports that the gun works fine with CCI mini mags, as long as he keeps it clean and lubed with a light lube.

Sig recommends CCI mini mags in their .22 conversion units. Advantage Arms recommends CCI mini mags in their .22 conversion units. I have an old Ciener .22 conversion unit mounted on a G19 frame that runs MUCH better with CCI mini mags.

However, I have a bunch of other .22 pistols and .22 conversion units that are NOT as ammo sensitive. My 1982 vintage Colt Ace and my Beretta .22 "practice kit" for the 92F and my Argentine conversion unit for the Browning P-35 are NOT ammo sensitive at all. My old Ruger Standard Auto is not ammo sensitive. My High Standard Supermatic Citation bullseye gun is NOT ammo sensitive and shoots a tight group with anything.

Another one of my co-workers just got one of the M1911A1 .22 pistols. Right now I don't remember which brand he got. Due to the shortage of .22 ammo he has been unable to shoot it much. If/when the ammo situation ever gets back to normal he plans to do function testing with a bunch of different kinds of ammo, just because.

weblance
December 14, 2013, 01:16 AM
I have a Beretta Bobcat(21a). Its terribly ammo sensitive. Actually, I havent found a brand of ammo yet that its 100% reliable with. Its better with some, than others, but its still not 100% reliable. Most people consider it a high quality pistol. My Mosquito runs 100% with Blazer bulk, Federal bulk and Mini-Mags. It actually has been a very long time since it has malfunctioned, and that was a misfire, not a feed or eject malfunction. Did I get lucky with my Mosquito, and unlucky with my Bobcat? Probably so, but that hasnt changed my opinion about my Sig, or my Beretta. I know this doesnt really help the OP, or anyone else for that matter, but I dont think the Mosquito deserves the absolutely terrible reputation it gets on the internet, as well as I dont think the Bobcat should get the glowing reputation it seems to enjoy. Just sayin...

Pilot
December 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
Another vote for the Ruger SR22. Avoid the Sig Mosquito, and Walther P22. Order one off the internet, and have it transferred by a local FFL if you don't see one locally. Sites like Gunbroker, and Gunsamerica have them listed, and also have a search function by zip code to find an FFL near you.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html

TXStr8shooter
May 27, 2014, 12:05 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2ChAklPGA3E/UcmkOxxVp-I/AAAAAAAAACY/aQcc_qF6-EY/w1043-h356-no/silencer.jpg
love it. takes all ammo. no issues with or without the can on it.

Departed402
May 27, 2014, 12:46 PM
This thread has risen from the grave!!!! :eek:

Welcome to the forum, Tex.

LockedBreech
May 27, 2014, 07:26 PM
The .22 pistols I have shot include the Ruger SR22P, the Ruger Mark II, the Beretta 21A, and a few others I'm forgetting. Two weeks ago I went out with a friend who had a Sig Mosquito.

The Mosquito was easily the worst of the .22 pistols I have shot. It was super finicky and everything about it was just...wonky. Nothing worked quite right. The hammer fell too light to get shots off sometimes, and the gun barely made two shots in a row without jamming.

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but the one I shot did not deserve the Sig Sauer name.

To put a positive point in this post, look at the Ruger SR22P. I shot a range rental one that was filthy and poorly lubed, about 500 rounds, when it was still a brand-new design, and it didn't hiccup a single time.

TXStr8shooter
May 27, 2014, 09:05 PM
I just have not seen any of the problems reported by others with mine. It's been in rotation for two years now. It has a good trigger(not great but def good). Breaks clean with only a smidge of grittiness to it. I've fired over 10 types of ammo through it from sub Sonic's to extra hot loads. Yes it has had a couple FTE, FTF but it's a 22 rim fire. The only FTE/FTF were with GB 550's and fed 525's.
With a can on it and sub's its quieter then my air rifle. I love the coloration it came with along with the threaded barrel. In all honesty that's why I first bought it as I did not want to change the barrel on my Ruger Mark I.

Glad to bring a good thread back from the dead!!!!

weblance
May 28, 2014, 02:41 AM
The newer Mosquitos run just fine. The early ones had issues. I have read there was an issue with the chamber. I have a threaded Desert Digital Mosquito that has been flawless. I have about 1,500 rounds through it now, and just about every ammo brand, and type. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend a Mosquito, as long as you get a new one. Its a lot of fun to shoot, one of my favorites, and I have a lot of 22 pistols to choose from.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/PictureSmall_zps83c2252a.jpg