PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 17HMR Ammo, No Apparent Damage to Animal?

trg42wraglefragle
December 7, 2013, 12:01 AM
I wonder if any of you other folks have come across this magic ammo.

I have now shot 3 cotton tail rabbits all under 70yards away with my 17hmr using 20gr XTP ammo, and it appears the rabbits have died from shock.

No sign of a entry wound, no sign of an exit wound, no blood at all.
And feeling the rabbits insides, it all seems intact.
One was shot at 65yards, one at 50 and one under 20yards away.

Anyone else come across this magic ammo?

Nine the Ranger
December 7, 2013, 01:38 AM
That certainly is strange...

Are you sure you hit them? And were they alive when you fired? :D

Bezoar
December 7, 2013, 04:25 AM
if you want to find the entrance or exit hole.

with a caliber this small you have to skin the critter and hold the skin to the light. or try to use it to hold some water. youll find it.

trg42wraglefragle
December 7, 2013, 06:00 AM
I've just got back from a day of shooting, and almost came across this phenomenon again.

I say almost as this time I skinned the rabbit too see what the inside looked like. I can see why all the kills have been instant, the insides are completely and utter destroyed.

Unless I accidently get a gut shot the 17 is instant death on small critters, no meed for a second shot that I commonly need with the ol 22lr. This little cartridge is great!

Brian Pfleuger
December 7, 2013, 09:33 AM
That has always been my experience with the 17. Looks like you scared the critter to death. No apparent entrance or exit. Sometimes if you press on them with your foot you can find a little blood.

MTT TL
December 7, 2013, 09:45 AM
I have not heard this..... Sounds wonderful though and now I might have to go into a new cartridge for the sole purpose of rabbit hunting. No spoiled meat makes it seem worth it.

Ruger480
December 7, 2013, 03:22 PM
I had that happen once with a 22lr. The rabbit was about 10 feet away when I shot it. When I skinned it I couldn't find an entrance or exit hole.

Chad.C
December 7, 2013, 07:55 PM
Got a ton of rabbits in the woods behind my house I will have to take my 17 and test out this ammo

Boomer58cal
December 7, 2013, 09:11 PM
The 35-40 grain V-max's in my little 22 Hornet do the same thing to yotes and coons. There's almost no visible damage from the outside, but they stopped like someone flipped off their switch.

Boomer

Dc777
December 7, 2013, 09:42 PM
I shoot the .17 gr v-max and other polymer tipped ammo out of my 917v for big rabbits..... The rabbits go airborne upon impact, and even with the ballistic tip I havnt ever seen any blood. At the same time when I'm cleaning them I'm sipping on a mixed drink and trying to hurry up to get inside and warm up, so I havnt checked the body after removing the fur,