PDA

View Full Version : 1911 opinion request.

dayman
December 4, 2013, 07:13 AM
I have decided I want another 1911. Rather I want a 1911 again.
It looks like I might have some money to spend this spring, so there's no rush, and there won't be any exciting pictures any time soon. And with 1 kid and another on the way there's probably a better than even chance I won't wind up with any of my anticipated spending money this spring. Spring of 2031 might be more realistic.
But I want one anyway.
Specifically, I want a commander size, all steel, stainless finish, bobtailed 1911.

So, what I want is- basically - a Dan Wesson V-Bob.
However, I'm also a pretty big Ruger fan, and since they now make a commander length SS 1911 I got to thinking. I could buy the Ruger (my revolvers would welcome their cousin with open arms), and have it bobtailed.

It's an idea, but I'm not sure yet that it's a good idea.
First,
I have no idea how much it would cost to get it bobtailed by a reputable smith - I'm hoping someone here can give a rough estimate.
Second,
not yet having handled wither of them (and in these parts a Dan Wesson would be a special order that I'd probably have to buy sight unseen), I don't know how the Ruger stands up to the DW in terms of fit, finish, and general quality. I don't particularly care about MIM parts (which, based on the price I assume the Ruger has), and I feel like it's been discussed to death, so I'm looking for comparisons of other attributes..

I'm not such a rabid Ruger fan that I "need" to have the Ruger, and I'm wondering if by the time i added night sights, and had the frame altered, I'd wind up paying close to the same for what would wind up being a inferior gun.
If the quality is close, I have had great luck with Ruger, and would like to give them some more of my money. Plus it would be cool to have something nobody else has...... Though I don't actually know anyone with a DW, so I'd kind of have that either way.

Anyway, opinions?

grizz223
December 4, 2013, 08:47 AM
dayman

For the price of a Dan Wesson V bob you could but the Ruger have the Bob tail done which is about 150.00 here in Florida plus the price of the actual price of the bob tail to be installed about 75.00. Buy about 5 Wilson combat mags and a case of .45acp. Now saying all that there is no comparison between the two in my opinion the Dan Wesson is a much better weapon but your going to pay for that awesomeness:D. All said and done it depends on what you want more. Both will get the job done.

pilpens
December 4, 2013, 08:54 AM
What about a Sig Sauer 1911 -- I have been looking pictures of a Fastback Carry. It looks nice. It has a series 80 safety. I have not fired one. Most internet data says it is good for the money -- more pistol for the money than a Colt Commander.

mellow_c
December 6, 2013, 02:35 AM
I'm very very happy with my Dan Wesson Valor.
I've shot about 10 or 15 other 1911's, Rock Island, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc... Most of them didnt come close to my Valor, some of them did. But ultimately I'm happy to say that MY Valor is the best 1911 I've ever shot.

I also shot another smaller Dan Wesson that had a light weight frame and only held something like 6 shots of .45 acp in the mag. It was amazing. I could not believe how easy that thing was to shoot, and it was a laser beam just like mine.

Now that I think about it, I shot 2 other Dan Wesson 1911's. Both were Valor V-Bobs. One had the black coating like mine and was perfect. The other was a stainless version that my friend bought used. We took it to the range and found that it shot a few inches low at only 7 yards. We tried it off a rest to be sure and it was still shooting way low. I think he called DW and asked if they could fix it, and I guess they pretty much told him they could not. I was really surprised with his experience. He ended up selling it for the same price he bought it for. It was a great gun except for the sights being so far off... the other 3 DW's I've shot including my own have been perfect in every way and like I said, they shoot like laser beams. They are also extremely smooth, have exceptional triggers, and are very solid and perfectly fitted guns. If you've spent some time reading into them you'll know that you are basically getting the same quality as some of the high end guns like Wilson or Ed Brown but for $300 to $1000 less.

If I were to buy another 1911, it would be a Ruger SR1911. They have such great reviews and I love the looks of them. I'm sure one would hold up to a life time of normal use without any trouble. I handled one just the other day, and I noticed the trigger seamed to jiggle around a little bit... looking at my DW, I notice that I can get it to wiggle just a tad if I try, but it's not even close to how the Ruger was. But I dont know that all the Rugers would be that way, maybe I just handled a particularly "jiggly" one??? For all I know thats something that could be adjusted, but dont quote me on that, I'm by no means an expert on 1911's. Despite what I noticed with the trigger, I would still not hesitate to buy one.

If you got the Ruger, I would not bother to get it Bobbed. If I were going to do one modification it would be the night sights, but I would not do the night sights and get it bobbed. At that point I think it would be worth spending the money on the Dan Wesson. I really believe that. I think the Ruger makes good sense if you want a high quality reliable and good looking 1911 that will cost half as much as the DW but will still provide you with great pride of ownership and lots of enjoyable shooting. If the night sights and V-Bob style are important enough to you, then I really suggest going for the Dan Wesson, it will satisfy all your desires and will catapult you in to the realm of Top Quality 1911's without costing a fortune.

I would suggest a Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob with the stainless finish, because the black finish can cost as much as $300 more and is probably not worth it in all reality. The Stainless comes with black plastic slim grips that look cheap to me... The black version comes with nicer grips. So you might look at spending an extra $70 or more for grips and longer screws on top of the Stainless version if that matters to you.

I guess it comes down to what you really want and where price really fits into the equation. If you go for the Dan Wesson, you're in for a treat and you'll be very glad you did. I think you could say the same for the Ruger. If you go for the Ruger you might find yourself wondering about the Dan wesson now and then, but you might end up spending some more time actually shooting the gun thanks to the money you'd save, if you leave the gun stock that is.

My recommendation is to get what you want and go for the Dan Wesson. Having said that. I love my Dan Wesson and would not trade it for anything (within reason of course! lol) but I still would love to end up with a Ruger SR1911 one day.

Bottom line.....
I think you're on the right track by considering these two excellent 1911's.

Urban_Redneck
December 6, 2013, 09:35 AM
I prefer a more subtle bob-tail, so I'd likely buy the Ruger and have done the way I like it.

Here's a handsome Commander

http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2415

dajowi
December 6, 2013, 11:17 AM
If the Dan Wesson is everything you want in a 1911 and is really appealing to you get the Dan Wesson. Don't mess around with buying something else and having it "fixed". If you don't get the DW you'll always regret the fact that you compromised. And nothing lasts as long as regret.

Tactical Jackalope
December 6, 2013, 11:30 AM
I don't like 1911's for self defense anymore. Long story.. They're great for the range and all.

However, the only 1911 I've tested and shot a lot that I wouldn't hesitate taking into a class (not defending my life just yet) was the SIG Sauer 1911 XO.

That thing ate everything I put through it and never jammed after 2,000rds.

I sold it to a friend in need, another long story. But it was a damn good 1911. Which takes a lot to impress me.

dayman
December 6, 2013, 12:49 PM
I don't like 1911's for self defense anymore. Long story.. They're great for the range and all.
I tend to agree. This will be more of a toy than a tool.

And since it fills a "want" rather than a "need" there's no rush, so probably I should just wait to get the DW. Or maybe wait a little longer and get an Ed Brown.

BigJimP
December 6, 2013, 02:38 PM
I agree that you should buy the gun you really want / configured the way you want it ....vs buying the Ruger and then have it reworked...

DW is getting good reviews...Ruger 1911's are more hit and miss...

Jumping up to an Ed Brown ...is a big jump up in quality over DW in my view...( and in my opinion Wilson Combat and Ed Brown are # 1 and # 2 in 1911's )....and while I give Wilson Combat the edge over Brown...and they will do a lot more custom work than Brown will....there is nothing wrong with an Ed Brown.

Tactical Jackalope
December 6, 2013, 02:55 PM
I tend to agree. This will be more of a toy than a tool.

That warm feeling when someone from an internet forum agrees with you.

That just happened.

I'm glad you feel the same way, I'm sure you also have your reasons. With that said, as long as it's a range toy that will need tinkering early on in it's life until it's end of time..Have a blast.

Eight_is_enough
December 6, 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't follow getting the small gun if it is not for carrying. Or is it for toy carry???? :D

The big steel is so much more pleasant to shoot. But then what do I know -- I even choose it as my EDC SD gun.

dayman
December 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
I don't follow getting the small gun if it is not for carrying.
It'll make my hands look bigger.

But in all seriousness, I like the looks of commander size 1911's more than the government size. And - since this is a luxury purchase - I actually care about looks for once.
IMHO commander sized 1911's are about the most aesthetically pleasing guns out there. Also, I like the looks of stainless and bobtails.

That warm feeling when someone from an internet forum agrees with you.

That just happened.
lol, I aim to please.
It's the least I can do after all the free trigger Q&A you've provided. Besides, as you know, I already have pretty much the perfect EDCC.

BigJimP
December 6, 2013, 07:51 PM
Try and shoot a gun with a bobtail ....before you buy, if you can....

I bought an Ed Brown Kobra carry ...that was bobtailed...when they first came out 12 or 15 yrs ago / I forget now....

I loved the look and jumped all over it ....and I like the concept / but with my hands, in rapid fire tactical drills, the gun gets away from me because of the bob tail....where a full sized 1911 - with no bob tail does not .

I gave the Ed Brown to one of my son's ....and I've since invested in a couple of full size 1911's from Wilson Combat ...one in 9mm that is my primary range practice gun / and one in .45 acp that is my primary carry gun...and I love them both. The Ed Brown and the Kobra Carry bobtail is a great looking gun...but it wasn't for me...

keep an eye open at your local range....I'm seeing more and more 1911's that are bob tailed...and talk to them, maybe they'll let you put a few rounds thru their guns....and see what they think.

1stmar
December 6, 2013, 10:06 PM
May want to look at one of these:

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/tactical/recon.php
http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/executive/executive.php

KyJim
December 6, 2013, 10:59 PM
Though it might hurt a little bit at the time, I've never regretted paying a little more for a gun I really wanted. I have regretted a couple of decisions to pay a little less for my second choice.

SVO
December 7, 2013, 12:30 AM
Big problem with Dan Wesson's that I have experienced is finding one for sale. Very nice guns, but they are just hard to find in my neck of the woods.

LockedBreech
December 7, 2013, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't go quite so far as to put Dan Wesson on the same level as Wilson or Brown. That's no criticism against Dan Wesson, they cost $1,000 less, and I think Wilson makes the best 1911 around save for completely custom ultra-boutiques.

That said, in the $1,400-1,600 bracket I don't think there is a 1911 that comes close to the Dan Wesson Valor. It is an exceptionally refined pistol and in my limited experience is well worth the money.

mellow_c
December 8, 2013, 04:14 AM
LockedBreech.... Exactly :D

silvermane_1
December 8, 2013, 05:06 AM
i say go with the Ruger SR1911CMD, i just put one on layaway with a FFL friend of mine.

Eight_is_enough
December 8, 2013, 10:50 AM
That said, in the $1,400-1,600 bracket I don't think there is a 1911 that comes close to the Dan Wesson Valor. It is an exceptionally refined pistol and in my limited experience is well worth the money.

So never mind that one shoot several inches low at seven yards and DW said there was nothing that could be done about it? And that from a DW fanboy, no less.

My Kimber shoots 6" low at fifty yards.

mellow_c
December 12, 2013, 05:16 AM
It was one gun. I've never heard a complaint about a DW pistol from anyone else. My friend who had the pistol that shot low did contact DW about it. I know I said "he called them"... but thinking back more carefully I seam to remember he just sent them an email, and he may have gotten a response along the lines of "if the gun is that far off, a different height sight wont make the difference and there's not much else we could do about it."

That is obviously just how I assume things went. It was a while back and he didnt go into great depth about his experience with customer service.

I do know that I encouraged him on multiple occasions to pursue the issue with DW, but he elected to just pawn the gun off on someone else for the same price he paid for it.

I can only assume that the customer service person from DW figured they were dealing with an amateur shooter who was probably jerking the trigger, causing the gun to shoot so low.

I actually wish I had bought it from him and paid him a little less than he paid for it. I would have called DW and made it very clear that the gun had been test fired by multiple experienced shooters from a rest, and that we had determined that the gun was shooting unacceptably low. I believe if he, we, or I, had pursued the issue, DW would have taken the gun in and if they could not fix it, they would have been in a position to replace it.

I had to send one of my revolvers back to Ruger 3 times before they finally fixed the problem that I clearly explained to them over the phone and in writing with each return. Customer service is not always perfect.

That being said. I think Dan Wesson makes one hell of a 1911 for the money.

MJFlores
December 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
This is all speculation, but the popularity of Ruger's 1911's has not gone unnoticed. I would expect a few model's added to the SR1911 line, including a Bobtail CMD version. If you're not in a rush it may be worth a short wait? This is just a guess.

David R. Svatos
December 12, 2013, 11:34 PM
Don't mess around, just buy a kimber, you'll never regret it smooth, accurate,and fast. Period.