PDA

View Full Version : RUGER SR45

KROIL
November 20, 2013, 06:43 PM
After reading about it in the last issue of American Rifleman I went to my favorite LGS to see if they had a SR45. They did , a brushed stainless one , and I purchaced it. Its very well thought out. We went to the range this morning. Firing my 230 gr FMJ hand loads I found this is one accurate .45. I did not have to mess with the sights at all. The recoil is actually softer than my Glock 21c. I expected a average trigger , but the trigger is really darn nice. Ruger has had alot of mag release problems with these and my release was a little "sticky" but no real problem and it may wear in. There are no aftermarket parts or accessories out there to be found yet as its still pretty new. I like it - try one out if you get a chance.

Colt46
November 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
Love it and it functions flawlessly. Accurate enough and easy recoiling in a 30 oz handgun.

Uncle Malice
November 20, 2013, 07:43 PM
Cool gun. They look like good guns. There is some aftermarket stuff available.

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/sr45/

ritepath
November 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
I bought mine a few months ago...a few minor issues but it's 100% now. I really like the trigger it makes it so easy to shoot good up close and at distance. The mag release is somewhat sticky/stiff.

Hard to beat the price of 369...(Last gun show about a month ago)

KROIL
November 21, 2013, 07:04 PM
Uncle Malice thanks for the heads up on Galloway. Gona drop in one of their stainless guide rods as the plastic ones just dont give me faith. I changed them out of my Glocks too. I am going to stick with the stock spring poundage 18#. Now if it warms up again I will have to go poke some more holes in paper......

November 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
I've had mine since April and it just keeps getting better. The only thing the trigger needs is around 300 - 400 rounds fired through the pistol for break-in. If you're inclined, polishing the contact points on the trigger bar will help and after giving it serious consideration, I finally decided to remove the mag. disconnect as it does ride the striker somewhat. At one point I had a Ghost 3.5# trigger bar reset in my SR45. I ended up removing it because it just didn't improve anything over the factory part. I'm still running the plastic reccoil spring guide in my SR45, but I bought and use Galloway's stainless guide rod/spring in my SR9 that's 2# heavier than the factory spring. I shoot quite a few 9mm +P type handloads and it works great. When I do shoot lighter loads I just reinstall the factory guide and spring. So enjoy, you made an excellent choice. I don't think a better poly frame .45 exists, all things considered. ;)

Rinspeed
November 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
A friend of mine has the 9 and while I haven't shot it yet it seems to be a pretty nice pistol for the money. I am very confused why Ruger has dropped the P series pistols though. :confused:

RugerNo3
November 28, 2013, 09:55 PM
Ruger has problems with manufacturing capacity.They are in the process of setting up a third plant to introduce perhaps 10 new guns for civilian market. The SR 1911 requires three lines to keep up with demand. They will keep the general public supplied with the most popular items as it now stands.

1ruralmailman
November 28, 2013, 10:08 PM
i have had mine now for about a month.it is a great working gun,seems to fit just right in my hand and shoot where i look.for the money you cant go wrong,i do agree the more it is shot the better the trigger seems.:D

ClydeFrog
November 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure if Ruger came out with any add-ons or after market parts for the SR45 series.
I did see that Trijicon now offers the highly rated HD night sights for the SR45 pistol. ;)
www.Trijicon.com
I think gun writer & retired sworn LE officer: Dave Spaulding had these HD pistol sights on the Ruger SR pistol he uses in the Ruger videos. I'm not 100% sure but the Ruger SR sights look a lot like the Trijicon HDs.

I, myself, like the orange/green version of night sights but I've heard/read often that green is considered the brightest pistol sight color.

Clyde

KROIL
December 2, 2013, 06:06 PM
I got back to the range with my SR45 with its new Galloway stainless RSA assembly and Traction grips. I took a box of my "warm" 230gr Hornady XTP handloads along. It fed them all nicely. Its easy to be accurate with this pistol. It mag release has improved too. I had popped the mag out and lubed the release works with MILI-TEC lube and worked the release back and forth a hundred timed or so. The stickness seems to be mostly gone.

Armybrat
December 7, 2013, 10:17 PM
When I bought my SR45 earlier this year and first took it to the range, it ran very smoothly except for the slide failing to lock back after the last shot (on both mags).
Subsequent sessions it all worked perfectly.

Excellent pistol for the money.

ritepath
December 7, 2013, 11:18 PM
I saw new one's going for 369 at the last funshow I went to. Down 30 bucks from when I picked up mine.