PDA

View Full Version : Rifle identification

namethatgun
November 18, 2013, 11:56 PM
Hoping some of the history buffs on the board can help with identifying the gun in the attached pictures.

Barrel is chambered in. 308
Serial number is 346868

What is the action?

Thanks!

Armed_Chicagoan
November 19, 2013, 12:26 AM
Looks like a 1911 Swiss Carbine converted to .308 and an altered/repaired stock, you can see the repair.

eta: I see hickock45 even did this one on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3a62x-DFA

namethatgun
November 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks friend. Watching the video now.

Looks like this one may have been cut down in the stock along with a new barrel?

Armed_Chicagoan
November 19, 2013, 08:56 AM
I'm no expert in this rifle, but rifles often come with different stock options. Or someone may have sporterized it at some point. But you can definitely see where a wood patch was added at some point, whether it was a repair or someone just didn't like the finger grooves in the original I have no idea. Others here probably know far more about this model than I do. It's not uncommon on old rifles for the barrel to be cut down, others could tell you more if you measure the barrel length as well as the overall length.

taylorce1
November 19, 2013, 09:56 AM
That rifle has been sporterized, looks like it needs a good cleaning as well. I'd clean it take it to a gunsmith have him check the headspace, and go shoot it. Those Swiss rifles are usually pretty accurate, so once you find a good load go find a deer.

Mike Irwin
November 19, 2013, 12:17 PM
It's a Century Arms International import, which is designated by the CAI on the receiver ring near the .308 marking.

Even though the guns has been rechambered for .308, you should probably keep loads on the low side.

It's hard to tell exactly what the rifle was originally before it was converted, but if it's a 1911 (that was a common conversion in the 1950s and 1960s) it's not rated for the kinds of pressures that the .308 generates.