PDA

View Full Version : Sig 938 or springfield emp

mrt949
November 18, 2013, 05:29 PM
What would you by fore ccw ?

chokeoloko
November 18, 2013, 08:06 PM
Sig great pocket gun, that way if a thug runs up on you and says "give me all your money" you can give him 80 cents at a time:cool:

glh17
November 19, 2013, 12:02 AM
Never fired the springfield but a friend of mine has a Sig 938. Unfortunately he asked me to shoot it a few weeks ago. Afterwards I've wanted one ever since.

OcelotZ3
November 19, 2013, 12:36 AM
"Or"? Why not "And"?

dajowi
November 19, 2013, 12:42 AM
I'll take the EMP.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag90/dajowi/P1010247_zps14c89bf6.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/dajowi/media/P1010247_zps14c89bf6.jpg.html)

rs97
November 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
Everyone... everyone, please pay attention! Here is a correct response to the posted question:

"Or"? Why not "And"?

Looks like P938 is my next purchase, but I would love to own both!

Garycw
November 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
In sure the EMP is fine and admit I'm not too familiar with it. However I believe I would prefer the Sig.938. It's on my list of future purchases. I already have a P238 and a 1911 UC Sig and love them so I may be a little bias.

tirod
November 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
They appear to be similar, but that's it. The EMP is noticeably larger, like the LC9 is larger than the LCP. That might make a difference one way or the other.

How it fits in your hand, how you appreciate the fit and finish, it's all up to you. Got to a gun shop and try them out.

Two SIG's for $650 each vs 1 EMP for $1100. Easy choice for me. I'll put off buying the other SIG, my timing belt jumped on an interference motor and I'm hoping that's enough to get new valves and pistons cooperating again.

I don't think the EMP is going to be able to shoot twice as accurately or stop a perpetrator any better than proper shot placement from the P938. $650 will buy a lot of ammo to practice with.

Doesn't seem to bother a lot of EMP buyers, tho.

jcshelto
November 20, 2013, 11:47 AM
Stay far, far away from the EMP. Mine had to go back to the factory 4 times and its issues were still not resolved, and every single person I know that owns an EMP has had a similar story.

The EMP, next to the XDS, is probably Springfield's most issue ridden gun.

Light primer strikes, ejectors coming loose, failures to feed, failures to eject.

That gun is an overpriced POS--and I won't even add IMHO to that statement. The guys at the FedEx shipping center know me personally because of that gun.

Just do a quick google search; that should be enough to scare you away. Springfield spends all their money advertising in the gun rags and paying for shipping labels, imho.

RickB
November 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
The EMP is scaled to hold a .45" cartridge, so in most dimensions it is much larger than a 9mm pistol needs to be.
The P938 is a slighly upsized .380, proportioned for the smaller cartridge. Unless there was something really unappealing about the P938 (I've shot the 238, but not the 938), I'd go with the SIG.
Check out the STI LS9, which is also a sort-of 1911 design, but slimmer through the slide than the EMP.

virg
November 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
Stay far, far away from the EMP. Mine had to go back to the factory 4 times and its issues were still not resolved, and every single person I know that owns an EMP has had a similar story.

Light primer strikes, ejectors coming loose, failures to feed, failures to eject.

That gun is an overpriced POS--and I won't even add IMHO to that statement. The guys at the FedEx shipping center know me personally because of that gun.

Just do a quick google search; that should be enough to scare you away. Springfield spends all their money advertising in the gun rags and paying for shipping labels, imho.

I've never owned or shot an EMP. I have read a lot of negative stuff about them though. I do own a Sig P938 and can testify that it is an excellent pistol. Very accurate and reliable. I've put over 400 rds through mine so far with no malfunctions what so ever. It's light in weight and easy to conceal in a waist band. I'd say go with the P938.

RX-79G
November 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
Doesn't sound like either of these guns have particularly good reps. I was looking at youtube videos of post factory service 938s.

The LS9 seems to work well, but is heavyish.

1911austin
November 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
No experience with the EMP, but I love my P938. My P238 is sweet also.

WESHOOT2
November 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
I have handled both EMPs (the aluminum 9, the steel 40), and fired the 9x19 version.

Nice.

Buy the one you prefer (I prefer neither).

OcelotZ3
November 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
I own both and haven't had any issues with either one. The woman I bought my EMP holster from carrys her EMP and has never had any issues either.

Kreyzhorse
November 22, 2013, 07:32 AM
I've handled both but haven't shot either. Both felt fantastic in hand and the fit and finish was excellent.

I'm a Springfield fan but if given a choice I think the Sig pointed a bit better for me. Your mileage might vary of course.

Both guns seem to be well made but of course a clunker happens to the best of them. Overall Sig and Springfield make quality products.

buckhorn_cortez
November 22, 2013, 08:49 AM

And I have exactly the opposite experiences with mine. I have the 9mm EMP and the gun has worked like a sewing machine through thousands of rounds over the past 4 years.

west5757
November 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
I have the 9mm EMP also and have never had any problems....well, maybe one...my wife shoots it as good as me. It's her go-to gun when we start competing with each other.

As far as the EMP or the P938 it's kind of a toss-up for me. I don't own a 938 but I have two P238s. One is the basic black one and the other is a little nicer with a laser. I love shooting them and they are quite accurate even with me behind the trigger. What I like best about them is the size. I have a hard time concealing the EMP unless I am wearing a big jacket and it is heavy compared to the Sig...both things to think about when buying a CC gun.

Another thing about comparing these two guns is how much are you going to shoot them. If I had to pick one to take to the range and shoot 500 rounds thru or have a little plinking competition with the wife I would much rather shoot the EMP. It is more comfortable and easier to shoot.

Really it comes down to which ever one you are more comfortable with and fits you the best. Both are good choices in my opinion.

dontcatchmany
November 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
I have the P938 and except that it is a pita to take down it is a fine weapon. I had it in my pocket around the house for over two weeks and my overly observant wife never knew it...she was surprised when I told her. It has become my primary concealed carry and it acts very well as a back up to other weapons.

The P938 shoots extremely well and I shoot better with the 7 round mags over the 6 round mags...I have three of each. Just the little extra space seems to keep ma from sticking my trigger finger too far in which causes shots down and to the right (I am a lefty). The gun is also great for off hand shooting with my right hand.

I have researched the EMP in .40 and the price scares me away as my biggest reason for it is to have a smaller 40 than my FNX 40. It would give me two 9s, two 40s and two .45s...but symmetry is not a necessity for the price:D

ScottRiqui
November 24, 2013, 09:29 AM
I have the EMP in .40, and the only problem I had with it when it was new was that it would not reliably lock the slide back on an empty magazine. Springfield sent me a new slide stop pin with a slightly different profile (A-cut?) and that fixed the problem 100%. It's been my EDC gun since, and I've put a lot of ammo through it at the range with no hiccups.

One other nice thing about the EMP is that except for the barrel length, it's just about dimensionally identical to the 1911, so you have a *bunch* of choices when it comes to holsters.

TxFlyFish
November 24, 2013, 03:28 PM
from a commercial standpoint, do a search on gunbroker. The EMP 9s FLY off the shelves, seem to have more hype than even Keltec vaporware

dajowi
November 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
"The EMP is scaled to hold a .45" cartridge, so in most dimensions it is much larger than a 9mm pistol needs to be."

The EMP was designed specifically around the 9mm cartridge. As an RO I've shot a lot of small framed concealed carry 9mms and many of them aren't much fun to shoot after a couple of magazines. The EMP is known for it's accuracy and ergonomics.

Though my EMP 9mm had an initial problem it was more related to the ammo rather than the firearm. It devours all the factory and reloaded ammunition that I feed it without issue.