PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger SR45 failure

WildBill45
October 27, 2013, 02:02 PM
I have given up on Autos lately, and decided to try the new and highly touted SR45. Just bought it, took it to the range, six rounds later the gun failed and there is nothing I can do to fix it. This may be my last plastic gun...

I was shooting a video to show proudly how well it shoots, but it didn't work out that way as seen in this very short video before having to go home with a non-working gun... What a bummer, it is such a nice feeling gun with the best trigger on any striker gun I have ever shot!

With the magazine still in the gun the ejector, which must be pushed DOWN into the gun to disassemble, is blocked by the magazine, so I cannot even take the slide off to look at the magazine latch, which is operated by the mag release button! I can't take the mag out to do so because the release button is broke or the latch is, one or the other I would guess... Wish these parts were metal... Plastic makes good picnic silverware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SCbtxiIts

amd6547
October 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear that...but mildly amused as well.
Amused, because there was a recent thread (either here of at TFL) where a poster was raving at length about how much better the Ruger SR was than any Glock, how Ruger had bested Glock in every way...
I'll stick to my Glock, thanks.
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing.

WildBill45
October 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing

I will skip the Glock vs. Ruger debate, but am concerned with the mag issue(s) for sure...

October 27, 2013, 05:09 PM
WildBill45, don't panic. I know this isn't the best news you could get but there are few gunmakers that have better customer service than Ruger. Call them and explain what occurred and it wouldn't surprise me if they paid shipping both ways in taking care of your problem.

I'm probably the Ruger advocate the other poster mentioned, but my SR45 is yet to have it's first hiccup. I've only fired a very few factory loads where mine mainly gets handloads including a number of 185 and 230 gr. Golden Sabers loaded to +P velocity as well as a number of cast lead bullet handloads. About the last ammo I'd use to break in a new pistol would be Tulammo. I'm not bashing you for using it because it may be all that was available to you. I can't tell a lot from your vid so it's hard to rule out possible causes for why this occurred, likewise I don't believe an ammo issue can be totally ruled out either.

As far as the Glock vs. Ruger thing, I can't say that if someone offered to give me a Glock I wouldn't take it, because I would. Then I'd sell it and buy another Ruger. This is also the first I'm hearing of any mag release issues. I will check Ruger Forum for this as well.

It's always a drag to have any issue with a new pistol and NO pistol maker is 100% bullet-proof; especially not Glock. What you do know from the limited number of rounds fired is that these pistols have excellent triggers and are very accurate. If I had to have any gun problem, I'd be more optimistic about getting it resoved by Ruger. ;)

amd6547
October 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
Here's one thread:
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/90901-new-sr-45-debut-today-major-regrets.html

Rob228
October 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
I was more than a little impressed with your support hand shooting.

MJFlores
October 27, 2013, 06:51 PM
You're using the worst ammo you could possibly buy, and you're complaining that it's not working?

WildBill45
October 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
The Russian stuff was the only box on the shelf. I doubt that ammo would have any influence on a mag release, but I am NOT a gunsmith by any means...

I will call tomorrow and see what they will do. I am not worried about them fixing it, but more concerned if it will do it again ... next time may be in a gunfight ... and if I have reload and it breaks again, that could be an issue. Remember Cops worry about little details such as that :D The SR feels good in the hand, the trigger feels quick and breaks clean like a moderate 1911, so I am looking forward to being able to sort out the good and the bad when it works a little longer...

amd6547
October 27, 2013, 07:04 PM
Regarding the Tula 45acp ammo...I used to own a Glock 30. One time, I stopped at Walmart on the way to the range. The only 45 ammo they had was Tula, so I bought two boxes. The only time I've bought Tula in any caliber.
It shot great in my pistol...accurate and reliable.
I really don't see how the Tula use would break the mag release.

passtime
October 27, 2013, 07:16 PM
I know the feeling the same thing happened to me in the first 80 rounds I fired through my SR45. That was the first one. After a few trips back to Ruger they replaced that one. The replacement is at Ruger right now for repair. Rugers customer service is A number one but I cannot say the same for QA. And then again it may not be QA's fault. Who knows? All I know is something in their system is broke and needs repair. Way to many problem firearms are getting out the door. Two in a row for me. Good luck!

TunnelRat
October 27, 2013, 08:40 PM
Tula is fine. My HKs eat it like candy, and most other firearms I've owned have as well.

I had my own issues with my SR9c. But Ruger has great cs. Call them. I understand the concerns, but until you get it fixed you won't know anything.

October 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
WildBill45, just came from Ruger Forum.com. I searched back 5 pages to threads going back to early June.

Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing.

This just isn't the case and Ruger Forum.com is the largest Ruger Forum.

Call Ruger tomorrow and they will get this resolved for you. Hopefully, shipping will be at their expense both ways. I bought my SR45 in April after getting an SR9 in March. Mine is essentially a Beta-tester and I haven't had one single problem. And because the trigger is so good and the accuracy excellent, I have no problem recommending them over competing poly framed pistols where my previous poly .45 was an XDm. Excellent, but the Ruger is better, IMO. I had a Ghost "Ultimate" trigger bar reset in mine for a while and removed it this past week because it just doesn't do anything the factory part doesn't. And you guys that like the triggers on new SR45's, wait until you get around 400 rounds fired. If you like it new, you'll simply love it after it's broken in. The only mods I've made other than the temporary use of the Ghost "Ultimate" trigger bar reset was to polish the contact points on the trigger bar and remove the mag disconnect from the slide. I've been shooting handguns for at least 35 years and have never been more pleased with a factory trigger and the excellent adjustable sights are helping me get greater accuracy from any pistol I've had in many years. I know my SR45 will shoot with anything up to twice its price and accuracy is the general consensus among members at www.rugerforum.com. ;)

amd6547
October 27, 2013, 08:59 PM
"...WildBill45, just came from Ruger Forum.com. I searched back 5 pages to threads going back to early June.

Quote:
This just isn't the case and Ruger Forum.com is the largest Ruger Forum....."

Huh...
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/87206-new-ruger-sr45-mag-drop-issues.html

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/83849-sr45-still-broke.html

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/79715-sr45-broke.html

There's three threads found with a short search. I didn't bother posting the more minor complaints...however, there also seems to be a light strike/FTF issue with some of these guns.

James K
October 27, 2013, 09:07 PM
"I will never ever own another (fill in brand) ever ever..."

Since I have seen this about every make of gun on the market, I guess some folks just don't own guns any more.

Jim

Hitthespot
October 27, 2013, 09:48 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. If I didn't buy every gun I read someone complaining about I wouldn't own any guns.

I have had three SR's Rugers in the last two years. I still own my SR9c. It has at least 2000 rounds through it and has never done anything but perform flawlessly, along with the other two SR's, I might add.

Ruger bashing is just plain silly. Ruger will find the problem and fix it.

passtime
October 27, 2013, 10:05 PM
Just for the record my previous post was not aimed at bashing Ruger. I have owned and own several Ruger firearms that I have experienced zero problems with. They back up what they produce and have exceptional customer service. My point is it is way out of the norm for Ruger to have replaced one malfunctioning firearm with another that is malfunctioning. Something is not right with this picture.

TunnelRat
October 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
Noting that you've had some problems with a brand in the past is not "bashing".

passtime
October 27, 2013, 11:41 PM
I agree. I will say though, I am a little disappointed in Ruger at the moment.

amd6547
October 28, 2013, 03:16 AM
Likewise, myself. I own several Ruger products, each of which I consider some of my very best firearms.
Their customer service is amongst the best.
However, I own an SR22P 22 pistol. While I love shooting it, the potential for the plastic takedown lever to break, allowing the slide to launch, is something I have to watch for. I shouldn't have to.

ritepath
October 28, 2013, 06:18 AM
There's a reason they're down to 369 bucks NIB. I paid 399 for mine 3 months ago, the two issues I've had so far I managed to fix myself. These birds need a little better engineering to get close to Glock/M&P/XD quality.....of course that would drive up the price also.

thedudeabides
October 28, 2013, 07:08 AM
I've had many handguns. I've had QC issues with just about every brand.

About Rugers, I'll only say this:

There's a reason they're so inexpensive, there's a reason they "update" their guns so often (like the LC9, LCP), and there's a reason their CS is so "awesome." I've long ago decided that their customer base is their beta testers. The only mass manufacturer that has lousier guns out of the box is Taurus.

I've had several Rugers. On the surface they're an inexpensive product that seems to offer a lot for the money, but they're really just cheap.

I've handled my share of poorly fitted SR1911s (the one gun that HAS to be well-fitted to work), had an LCP that was pure garbage, and a Vaquero that had to have its cylinders reamed so that it would properly chamber ammo. I've seen sights fall off of LC9s at the range and the front sights crumbling on the 1911s (there's one at the pro shop getting Trijicon sights fitted to replace the OEM issue).

There's brands like Marlin, Henry, Rossi that I don't expect to work out of the box and just serve as a curiosity that can be fun to shoot on a good day. Ruger really needs to get their stuff together, they've had a run of terrible QC and last time I checked when your nightstand or carry gun bricks it really doesn't matter how great the customer service is.

g.willikers
October 28, 2013, 08:56 AM
To get the mag out, you obviously will need a bigger hammer.
Heck, anything can fail.
At one of the local matches, a fellow had his mag release break in half, after a robust mag change, with pieces flying out of both sides of the frame and the mag landing at his feet.
It was not a Ruger, but one of those "it never breaks" models, which will go nameless.
Except to say that it was all black and comes from Georgia.
Guns are just machines and machines fail.

Not too long ago, I was trying out a rental SR9 at a range.
It was dirty, scratched and dented, had obviously suffered a hard working life, and worked perfectly.
It was such a good gun, that if 9mm ammo ever gets plentiful and affordable again, I just might get one.

WildBill45
October 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
I just got off the phone with Ruger in AZ, they are going to send me a shipping label today ... it just arrived in my email... They say 12 to 14 days turnaround.. . I will update this when I get it...

NOTE; I appreciate most of the comments here, informative. To some folks please leave your negative comments elsewhere. My gun broke, and any comments that may help me understand how it works, etc, is fine, but to use someone's unfortunate circumstance to make a comment about how good your BRand is, and there is one brand saying that most often ... doesn't help, does it? Not many bad comments from HK owners, or Sig folks, notice that do ya?

GEEeeeeeezzzzzz This is not a contest, just a blip in the history of this pistol's history hopefully.

Thanks for all the helpful comments to those folks who know who they are!!!:D

chris in va
October 28, 2013, 11:44 PM
Good thing you weren't using it as a SD weapon.

Laz
October 29, 2013, 12:33 AM
It seems to me that could be said about any handgun, semiauto or revolver, from any company that is rendered inoperable by any sort of malfunction that causes the weapon to fail.

ritepath
October 29, 2013, 06:11 AM
Look on the bright side.....when your SR45 functions properly it's one accurate Motherbleeper. :D Mine has what I believe to be the best striker fired stock trigger I've ever felt.

I still think some improvements are needed with the Mag catch and mag release button. Along with a complete redo of the slide catch lever and spring attachment. And something needs done with the striker/channel to stop the light strike problem some see.

passtime
October 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
ritepath: (I still think some improvements are needed with the Mag catch and mag release button. Along with a complete redo of the slide catch lever and spring attachment. And something needs done with the striker/channel to stop the light strike problem some see. )

+1 on that.

Rogervzv
October 31, 2013, 09:46 AM
When the gun comes back, it will surely be fixed and will undoubtedly give you decades of good service.

I've been buying Ruger firearms since the 80s. I still have all of them and all of them work perfectly. My SR40c absolutely rocks. I would own an SR1911 but you cannot buy them in Democrat California.

passtime
October 31, 2013, 01:26 PM
I received my repaired SR45 from Ruger yesterday. A total of 400 rounds have been fired through it without any type of malfunction. I believe Ruger got it right this time. Man, this is a nice shooting firearm...:)

20 rounds of Federal HST at 25 yards:

http://i39.tinypic.com/30981zd.jpg

WildBill45
October 31, 2013, 06:35 PM
shipped the SR45 last Monday, it will be back this Monday! This is great service I must say!

WildBill45
October 31, 2013, 06:51 PM
I have owned almost every major brand of pistol ... especially duty guns ... over the last 35 years! As a cop I tried to find the PERFECT GUN, and spent thousands to find it ... NEVER DID ... it doesn't exist. I had a Glock, sold it, Sig sold it, Colt sold it, Kimber sold it, Walther sold it, S&W sold it, Detonics sold it, Ruger sold it, Beretta 92 sold it, Wilson CQB sold it, Springfield Custom .45 sold it, and so many others, and multiple models of all the above brands and more! I have had more problems with autos than revolvers ... period, and had just as many wheelguns as autos... I do not have one brand I am totally loyal to as some of the naysayers here on the forum who attack when someone has a problem with anything other than the gun they choose. I shot most the above guns a lot since I was sponsored by ammo makers to shoot in the World Police and Fire Games ... and test them to the max, plus reloaded, etc...

No one brand is perfect, and most are good most of the time! I have had cheap guns like the Makarov be more dependable than custom guns, Every brand of .380 I owned, and that was many not listed here, had issues feeding. I had a new Colt commander in the 70's go full auto on me at a police range. The expensive Springfield .45 was a jamamatic, Walther .380's and Sigs were jammers, and the list goes on and on... The Wilson was perfect during the time I owned it, as was the Beretta 92 and Makarov, my second gen S&W duty gun, first stainless single/double action 9mm was perfect as well although I didn't like it because it pointed low for me, The Glock 17 original was very good, but I didn't keep it long, and my S&W model 19 was my mate!

So lighten up on the negative comments ... I have been to a few rodeos and know the rough side of the dirt ... OK?

To those who have understanding of all of the above, thanks for the helpful comments... :D

Hope to have a happy update soon. I will put the mag release through hundreds of dry runs before shooting again...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

jbrown27
October 31, 2013, 10:04 PM
"Lighten up on the negative comments" Huh?? What did you expect to get when you post a video about a brand new pistol breaking in the first few shots. The video was the most negative thing in this whole thread IMO. I don't think you posted it to rave about your new ruger. Quite the opposite it seemed to me. Sorry its just that the paragraph you wrote about no gun or gun maker is perfect is odd coming from someone that posted a video of a new gun failing. Why post the video if you believe what you wrote. Just curious.

Dragline45
October 31, 2013, 10:39 PM
"Lighten up on the negative comments" Huh?? What did you expect to get when you post a video about a brand new pistol breaking in the first few shots.

That can happen with any brand and any model pistol regardless of price or quality. I have had to send guns back to S&W, Sig, Ruger, and just recently Beretta. Machines are prone to failure, it has to be expected from time to time. Some people see an example of a pistol failing and use it as an reason to bash that company saying they make a bad product. But the truth is it happens to ever brand of gun no matter how expensive. It would be one thing if the majority of pistols put out by a certain company were prone to failure, but it's simply not the case in this situation. Comments like saying Ruger is garbage, should have got a Glock are ignorant and unhelpful.

WildBill45
November 4, 2013, 11:21 AM

Well, that depends! IT didn't have a problem until the mag was empty, the gun worked fine, the mag release was broke. If I was able to take out my attacker with the first ten shots, my backup knife, and martial arts skills, then it wouldn't be an issue ... would it?

Other issues such as jamming would be a tad more serious in that regard, eh?

Metal god
February 14, 2014, 10:33 AM
So hows it working ???? no update

I pick up my new SR45 today and now may have some regrets .

Metal god
February 15, 2014, 12:41 AM
Put 150rds through my NIB SR45 today . It shot well with no issues . That gun can shoot very accurately . So far so good . I'll wait till I get 500+ rounds through it before I start saying how great it is . ;)

Clipper
February 15, 2014, 10:40 PM
Don't use steel cased ammo in American guns. Just don't.

Because I said so.

Clipper
February 15, 2014, 10:43 PM
And.... Bill Ruger would not approve of striker fired pistols bearing his name.

Dark days for Ruger.

Kreyzhorse
February 15, 2014, 10:47 PM
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing

My buddy has the same issue with his LC9. After two trips to Ruger, they seem to have fixed the issue.

Dragline45
February 15, 2014, 10:48 PM
And.... Bill Ruger would not approve of striker fired pistols bearing his name.

Dark days for Ruger.

And if Bill Ruger was around his stubborn old self would have ran the company into the ground. This is the same guy that refused to make any of his guns with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds. It's no surprise that when he died Ruger immediately started making high capacity mags.

One of the topics that came up in my business classes back in college was older generations running businesses who refused to keep up with current trends and were stuck in their old ways. Many of the examples given showed that these same people ran their companies out of business or close to it. Your products should dictate what your customer base want's, and not the other way around. After all, they are the ones buying them.

Clipper
February 15, 2014, 10:51 PM
And if Bill Ruger was around his stubborn old self would have ran the company into the ground. This is the same guy that refused to make any of his guns with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds. It's no surprise that when he died Ruger immediately started making high capacity mags.

Oh I know all about the 10rd or less rule he had... that and the Mini-14/30 are my two biggest beefs I have with him. He wasn't always right but he sure knew how to make reliable centerfire pistols. I'm sure he wouldn't be too pleased to know his pocket pistols are sporting plastic guide rods.

Dragline45
February 15, 2014, 10:57 PM
I'm sure he wouldn't be too pleased to know his pocket pistols are sporting plastic guide rods.

I don't mind plastic guide rods. Not only do they have self lubricating properties, but they are less susceptible to being damaged. They have more flex, so if it bends it will go back to it's original form, where a metal guide rod wont. If you want to make the argument that it is easier to snap a plastic guide rod than a metal one, well sure, but the force used to snap that plastic guide rod would bend a metal one enough to where it was no good anymore. It's like the arguments about the 10/22 plastic vs metal trigger housings. The plastic trigger housings are actually an improvement and much stronger.

Clipper
February 15, 2014, 11:06 PM
Ok.. you feel alright knowing the plastic guide rod might be exposed to extreme temperatures for the next 20+ years n' the next owner will inherit something reliable?

James K
February 15, 2014, 11:07 PM
Hi, WildBill,

Sorry about the problem, but I just watched the video and I don't think much of your gun handling technique. I realize that you seem to be alone on the range and at the left end but you were pointing that gun at where the body of another shooter would have been. Please take care and always keep a gun, even one you think is unloaded or inoperable, pointed in a safe direction.

Jim

Dragline45
February 16, 2014, 11:52 AM
Ok.. you feel alright knowing the plastic guide rod might be exposed to extreme temperatures for the next 20+ years n' the next owner will inherit something reliable?

You are worried about the longevity of a plastic guide rod when the entire frame is made of plastic?

Shane Tuttle
February 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
OK, the OP hasn't posted since way back in November and this is getting off the beaten path.

Closed.