PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Optics?

frigate88
October 1, 2013, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

Been shopping for a new Red Dot and want to change to something else besides Eotech. Been looking around at the Aimpoint Micro's, Aimpoint Patrol, and the Trijicon SRS type sights. I'd really like to get a Trijicon but have not seen any reviews for night time shooting as far as how bright the reticle is since most of them don't use batteries and only ambient light to illuminate it. This is going on my Patrol Rifle so I don't want to skip out on anything if possible. Is the DOT visible at night or is it hard to pick up? Also like to keep the reticle around 4 MOA if possible. Any experience with these models? Thanks.

P.S...! Like to keep it around 600-700$

SR420
October 1, 2013, 09:20 PM
I love the Aimpoint Comp M4s and Micro T-1s that I have, with the M4 being my favorite.

Be very careful when shopping because there are a bunch of counterfeit red dots on the market.

http://www.aimpoint.com/products/counterfeitscopies/16-tips/

alex0535
October 2, 2013, 05:43 AM
I can't give you any reviews on red dots in the price your looking for.

I have a Burris Fastfire III and something I have come to realize that how bright the dot can be is more important for shooting in full sun than in the dark. At night, I like it on its lowest setting or automatic brightness. When I look at bright light in the dark I see sort of flare around the dot, dim light provides a nice clean dot that is still very easy to acquire. In any case, if I have enough light to be able to see my target, I can hit the target.

Your wanting something nicer than mine. Trijicon and aimpoint are very respectable optic makers, I would expect them to preform great in low light conditions. The battery-less trijicon dot is a fiber optic/tritium setup. Even with no ambient light, the tritium would probably put out enough light to see the dot, in 11 years it will be about half as bright as it started due to the tritium decaying.

bird_dog
October 2, 2013, 07:25 AM
As a longtime handgun hunter, I have 3 revolvers capped with red-dot scopes (and one shotgun).

Of scopes, holographic displays, and open sights, red-dot is my go-to sight.

That said, for night-time, I would say it's the worst choice. You'll have no trouble seeing the red (or green) dot. As the last poster said, though, the glare in the dark from even the lower settings sometimes consumes the entire scope. I find the red dot to be at its worst in very low light to dark conditions. If you're thinking of something strictly for night time, I don't think it's a great idea. Laser, maybe, or illuminated sights.

THAT said, one thing that can cure the red dot glow problem is keeping both eyes open. It will superimpose the dot on your sight picture while still giving you a good view of your target. I've done this when deer hunting at last light with a red-dot, and it's surprisingly effective.

Good luck!

Rifleman1776
October 2, 2013, 08:22 AM
I had an Aimpoint on my Ruger Redhawk for many years and loved it.
But many other types and improved versions have come out since then. Do your shopping.

TLeo
October 2, 2013, 06:55 PM
I recently mounted the Aimpoint PRO on my AR and it has been great. I really like being able to keep both eyes open using it...makes getting on target very quick.

ripnbst
October 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
You are doing yourself a disservice if u don't look into primary arms.

Sixer
October 3, 2013, 01:36 AM
Aimpoint PRO... I've read nothing but good reviews. I have a CompM that has been put through the ringer and still works like a champ. The PRO is priced right and has a crazy long battery life. Tough to go wrong with an Aimpoint.

Don't forget to set some $$ aside for a good mount. Your nice optic is worthless if it won't hold zero or you're searching for it on the ground :eek:

spacemanspiff
October 3, 2013, 12:18 PM
Look at the Trijicon Tripower for that price range. Battery for low light, fiber optics coil for ambient light to power the reticle. In my opinion, the chevron reticle offers better accuracy than the dot of an EOtech or Aimpoint.

Tried to locate it on Trijicons website, but its not there anymore. Still available on Amazon and Opticsplanet websites though. Comes with a simple mount but you will want to get the QD mount. If your rifle has standard iron sights, you may need to get the spacer that raises the sight though. Flip up front sights would be best.

After shipping, the Tripower, mount, and spacer will probably run near $800.

frigate88
October 3, 2013, 07:58 PM
That's kind of ironic you mentioned the tri power. Just left a buddies house who has it mounted on his MP9. Nice site and I liked the Chevron reticle.