PDA

View Full Version : Questions about long slide 1911s and mutant calibers

Correia
January 13, 2001, 12:20 PM
I'm curious, 6' barreled 1911's seem to be a good idea for some uses, but I've never had the opportunity to use one, or even hold one. Do any of you own a longslide? If so, how do they work, mostly I'm curious about reliability. I know that the extra inch was not part of John Browning's design, so I'm curious if it works as good as the original.

Also for those of you who have 1911s in mutant calibers like 40 super or 460 Rowland. How do they work, reliability wise. I would imagine that if they were put together correctly they should work just fine, but then again I don't have a clue about their actual use.

I was just thinking about this because I was browsing the STI webpage the other day and they have a longslide in .40 Super, and I got to thinking that that would be a pretty neat combination, an almost rifle-esq 1911. Not that I'm going to buying any $1200 handguns anytime soon. :)

Thanks

Kenneth L. Walters
January 13, 2001, 12:27 PM
I've owned several longslides.

I had two LAR's with 10 inch barrels. One in 45 ACP, which I never shot, and one in 45 Win. Mag. On both the slide went the entire length of the barrel. My 45 Win Mag also had a red-dot type scope, a cocking handle and a muzzle break. REALLY tamed that cartridge. Kind of sorry I sold it.

I also had several six inch long slides including a AMT, Baer and Wilson. The AMT I had Springfield do an accurcy job on. Not sure if that really helped. The Baer I've never really shot much. Both it and the Wilson are for sale at GunsAmerica under custom pistols. The Wilson, which I have shot a bit, works perfectly even with my reloads.

Correia
January 14, 2001, 03:50 PM
Thanks,

Does anyone have one of the STI longslides?

TMC
January 15, 2001, 11:32 PM
Check out http://www.casullarms.com for 38 Casull. A 6' 1911 shooting .38 Casual. A .45acp necked down to .38 with a 124 JPH @ 1800 fps. That's a mutant caliber.

George Hill
January 15, 2001, 11:45 PM
I like the .45 SMC that Triton has made.

ArmySon
January 16, 2001, 12:58 AM
From my personal experiences, a longslide 1911 really does not provide you with any better accuracy then a 5" model.

As for the .460 Rowland, I got a kit from Clark Custom for my Kimber Classic. It works like a charm. The only drawback is, it's very loud.

TritonCartridge
January 16, 2001, 04:38 AM
Also for those of you who have 1911s in mutant calibers like 40 super or 460 Rowland. How do they work, reliability wise. I would imagine that if they were put together correctly they should work just fine, but then again I don't have a clue about their actual use.

Aren’t all cartridges “mutants” or “wildcats” until they are accepted? As for the .40 Super it was developed to provide a cartridge that had the capabilities to be carried in an auto-loader, was suitable for self-defense and also hunting. The .40 Super provides just that. Matter of fact we had JR from Lone Wolf Distributing stop by our booth @ SHOT the first day and drop off a picture of a cougar he took with a Glock 21 using our 135 gr Hi-Vel That 135 was fired up at the cat, penetrated a 4" tree limb (slightly deflecting the slug), it entered the cat in the chest, followed along and ripped through the sternum, ripped the heart open, blowing out the throat and severing the jugular. Dropped the cat off of the limb and no other shot was needed.

We now have 4 manufactures offering factory production guns for the .40 Super and other taking a hard look at it. We are now currently exploring getting a carbine chambered for it. That would provide a rifle platform to hunt with and you could carry your handgun as a back up both using the same ammo. It is that versatile a cartridge.

You are correct; if the guns are manufactured/modified correctly they work just fine.

BigG
January 16, 2001, 09:09 PM
No. Some cartridges are introduced with a pistol design. I am thinking of the 30 Mauser, 30 Luger, 9mm Luger, 38 S&W Special, 25, 32, 38 ACP, the 45 ACP, and several others. These cartridges were created at the same time as the system to fire them -- not a wildcat by any means.

It is a mistake to denigrate an inventor to the status of a wildcatter (no insult intended). Why we have no real inventors today; that is THE question.

Correia
January 16, 2001, 09:14 PM
Thank you guys, and especially Triton Cartridge. One great thing about TFL is that even the Big Dawgs of the gun world will answer your questions. Thank you. And I meant no disrespect with the use of the word Mutant. It is actually meant as a complement when talking about cartridges. :)

I'm very interested in the .40 Super. 135 gr. at 1800 fps! I would imagine that the Quik-Shok would be incredible at those kinds of velocities. I'm looking forward to being able to study it a little more, and hopefully get my hands on one to play around with this spring.

4 manufacturers? I know about STI, but who are the other 3?

Thank you.