PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTS DEFENSE 1911s

Babychief
September 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
Hey fellow 1911 owners, upon reading the new article in Combat Handguns this month on Roberts Defense i decided to contact them.i read mixed views on 1911addicts so i wanted a few questions answered.
Im looking for another 1911 (like pringles you cant just have one) that is mid priced with semi/custom features. Priced under $1800 and made entirely in the U.S.A. In Oshkosh Wisconsin this maybe an option as my next USCA/IDPA 1911.

Has anyone here actually held/fired one? After speaking to LISA a rep for ROBERTS DEFENSE,she inspired alot of confidence in me about their 1911s. The fact that if you have an issue,the inspector who signed off on your personal 1911 sends a card where you can actually contact them if an issue arises. I like that personal contact,as well as the fact they actually "called me" after i wrote them says alot. This being a new company i think they are heading in the right direction,they had a barrel issue and a few pics that 1911addicts pointed out in a thread,but machining issues with a brand new company are expected.
Ive had issues with other semi/full smiths that either dont have the time to contact you or the quality control has gone down hill.

So if anyone here has had the opportunity to cycle/fire a Roberts Defense,im very interested in hearing your opinions.again only if you have actually held or fired one,i dont want to go by rumors.

Thank you in advance,
Baby chief

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/6983d027ecb52c7273f33601cfe4eaad.jpg

Olympus
September 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
I don't know, but that photo looks pretty hoakey. Looks like cheap CGI instead of an actual photo. If that photo came from their website, that would be enough to scare me away.

scottl
September 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
I handled one at a LGS.It seemed well built.It was as nice as the Doublestar he also had in the case.HE had three of them,two gov't size and one commander.They all were price right around $1100.

Fishbed77
September 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
At that price point, I'd be looking at a Colt Wiley Clapp or Special Combat Government rather than an unproven brand.

PatientWolf
September 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
If its important, picture is definitely CGI or Photo-shopped. Lighting angles are diff end and the gun casts no shadow. Maybe it is the Vampire version.

Spats McGee
September 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
A quick internet search turns up a couple of these on GB, and a few reviews. Outside of Facebook, though, I cannot seem to find any website for them, which would cause me some concern.

scottl
September 20, 2013, 11:30 AM
A quick internet search turns up a couple of these on GB, and a few reviews. Outside of Facebook, though, I cannot seem to find any website for them, which would cause me some concern.
http://www.robertsdefense.com/

Spats McGee
September 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
Thank you, scottl. For some reason, I couldn't get that to come up, no way, no how. I stand corrected.

Sevens
September 20, 2013, 02:01 PM
I came across one in a gun store and asked about it -- as I had never heard of them, so the salesman pulled it out. I told him "no, it's okay, I'm just asking, I'm not really interested in buying it" but he claimed that he had never heard of them either and had no idea what the pistol was, so he was interested in looking it also.

It felt pretty good to me. I worked the slide a handful of times, felt the trigger break and I felt the short reset. I don't believe you learn a "lot" that you can bank no simply by feel across a gun counter, however... you can definitely find a lot of red flags this way, and I didn't find any red flags in the short interview I did -- at least with regards to the feel of quality and feel of operation.

I can say... they must be nuts with the ugly "bill board" style lettering on the slide. I haven't yet found any hardcore enthusiasts who believe that look is anything other than horrendous. Smith & Wesson did it on their first 1911 pistols, and it was horrifying and they stopped. Desert Eagle does it on their 1911, and it's vomit-inducing. Taurus does it, and, well, it's fitting on a Taurus 1911. :p

I would be happy to give one a thorough workout over a weekend, and I'd be -very- pleased to find a decent 1911 in this price range, as there is definite market in that spot, in my opinion.

But yes... it's tough to be a brand new manufacturer and find a spot in that price range, with no known history in the market, in a gun design that must have 25 other manufacturers competing.

Babychief
September 20, 2013, 02:48 PM
The reason i posted this thread is as you may know i compete in IDPA and USCA TWO GUN..i read the article about Roberts Defense and it said FLORIDA GUN EXCHANGE employees raved about this 1911. Then the author "tested" it at a private club in Deland Fl,Volusia gun/hunt club.

http://volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/contact.html

Problem 1) I know Adam E. manager of Florida gun exchange i stop in there on almost a weekly basis since it is near my home and no one ive spoke to even heard of this 1911 nor did they know the author who wrote this article

problem 2) guess what? I am a member of Volusia gun/hunt club and i havent heard from any of my squad or any 1911 guys (you know how we 1911 guys are with new toys) no one heard of a test in any of the bays at Volusia gun club.
3) Problem ...Volusia Gun club isnt in Deland Fl,its in New Symrna beach Fl..if your author using GPS (its down a dirt road in middle of route 44) you would know its in New syrmna beach
4) if you google Roberts defense their site doesnt pop up in the top choices, you would think a large company would at least come up in top three before facebook when you google their business name.

I did speak to Lisa (Roberts defense) and asked to demo a model, and i would pay florida gun exchange as a rental and of course if i liked it i would buy it for $1200 (made in USA) not a bad price. They didnt have any firearms available due to overwhelming orders. I told them the 1911 enthusiasts arent going to believe just some pics and a magazine write up that some author could be getting paid to write a positive review about.

http://floridagunexchange.com/

Im going to Florida gun exchange in 30min, im asking all the sales associates if they had a Roberts defense 1911 that was reviewed and believe me i know almost everyone there by name and they know me because the manager gave my girlfriend and i free shirts to compete in to help promote.

I would like to get that authors contact info from Combat Handguns and have him meet me at Volusia and i would pay for him as my guest,ammo etc..and i will video record a few stages if you guys would be interested in seeing that..

Let me know if you want me to pull a hogwash card and see if he will meet up. Heck ya never know this may end up being a great $1200 1911 that runs..i still havent figured out if it has M.I.M. Internals though.

-baby chief

Ok..just found out the author DR. martin d. topper, did in fact pick it up from Florida gun exchange but it was a TRANSFER,they dont sell them there..and my sales guy asked the manager and they looked it up in the computer and found put it was a transfer/demo. I couldnt find a sales associate who knew anything about Roberts Defense. If i can demo one i will buy it and review it for everyone. Problem is Florida gun exchange says they dont sell them ;(

Inapologize for abbreviated foul language

Venom1956
September 20, 2013, 09:38 PM
If i can demo one i will buy it and review it for everyone

Why would they give u a demo gun? who are you to review over others I can tell u have a huge love for the 1911 but what exactly makes u more qualified to think you can request a demo model? Do u write for gun mags? do you have a high traffic gun blog or youtube page?

I am just totally confused I wasn't under the impression you were any of those things. Do u have a place where u review guns? I feel as if I missed something.

Babychief
September 20, 2013, 09:52 PM
Who are you to doubt my ability?
Do you compete?
If so in what discipline and associations?
Do you have videos of you actually competing?

I sent a video link to A moderator here to show im not a keyboard commando and that i have more ability than most.also the video was taken by a spectator so its not even something i set up and its still a 59:39sec stage.transitioning from my AR15 to my GLOCK/19 (1st day competing with it)
I have stages under 60seconds and my job involves being proficient in multiple firearms.

So i hope i answered your question just like i shut down your baby boomer old school comment on how ghost rings are just for shotguns.

Go back to that thread,im still waiting for your comment there.

I dont put my business out there but PM me and i will send you a video link someone took of me competing this year on a record all "ALPHA" stage and two on each steel flawless run in 59:39..shooting support side (left handed) to start transitioning to my side arm and there were no-hit targets behind initial engagments so you had to shoot at an angle from structure.

Let me see what you can do in a two-gun competiton on video..til then stop lurking my threads because you look like a stalker/hater..

Do i have a place? Hmmmm yes the same exact place DR T. Actually did the incomplete review of the ROBERTS DEFENSE 1911 is the private club where i am a member and where most IDPA,national steel challenges and USCA two gun comps are located here in central Florida.

So yes a 15 stage private gun club with a shoot house, would be adequate.

Have something else to say? PM me first before looking like a keyboard commando.

Kevin_d77
September 20, 2013, 10:05 PM
Dude simmer down. You're all over the place with all 97 of your comments. Relax.

Babychief
September 20, 2013, 10:09 PM
Im still waiting on Venom1957 response, hes a big boy he can speak for himself.

SW FLORIDA? Do you compete?

MJFlores
September 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
i have more ability than most.

??????????????

That's a pretty tall statement against people you dont know.

Jim Watson
September 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
I've gotten all excited over guns based on gunzine articles. Usually I got over it. When I didn't, I was usually sorry.

Coach Z
September 20, 2013, 11:07 PM
I would agree that that sales photo is a BAD cgi and that alone would make me stop considering them right then and there. It's not hard to take a quality photo these days even using a cell phone camera and if they can't figure that out then I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to machine metal!

Olympus I don't know, but that photo looks pretty hoakey. Looks like cheap CGI instead of an actual photo. If that photo came from their website, that would be enough to scare me away.

And my $.02 Can't we all play nice?

Archie
September 20, 2013, 11:45 PM
I found the Roberts website.

It is http://www.robertsdefense.com/

I like their warranty. Of course, that depends on how long they stay in business.

I'd be willing to try one out. But I have several Government Models now and don't need to buy another one. For the record, I don't like the billboard logo either. But the general configuration looks correct.

No, I do not have any connection with them of which I'm aware. Their address is in Oshkosh, Wisconsin; that's too far for a casual visit for me.

ripnbst
September 21, 2013, 12:02 AM
I hate the billboard logos as well. I wish all 1911 companies would knock that off. It pollutes an otherwise beautiful firearm.

If you are looking for another company that builds 1911's that I think fit your criteria check out fusion firearms.

FYI STI is extremely highly regarded among 1911 competition shooters.

Hunter Customs
September 21, 2013, 08:14 AM
I can say... they must be nuts with the ugly "bill board" style lettering on the slide. I haven't yet found any hardcore enthusiasts who believe that look is anything other than horrendous.

Sevens, I agree, it was enough to turn me off right away.
I've always hated "bill board slides", that's why I order my slides clean, no names no logos.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Nathan
September 21, 2013, 08:36 AM
I'm with Baby Chief. To introduce a gun, you don't just put up an unsearchable website and get on mag review....

It all helps, but to get this going, I think you plan to have 10 demo guns rolling around to authors, bloggers and bring them to local 3-4 state area competitions for people to shoot. Maybe send them out to gun rental places for a trial period.

We had a shoot and see with Savage, Vortex and Federal. It was nice to get the new products in people's hands for a few shots.

Babychief
September 21, 2013, 09:28 AM
Since ive competed since the late 1980s til present my statement is based on fact not ego. The author of the article has only reviewed firearms since 2006, yes he has a background in managment in Law enforcement training but prior to that was involved non firearm related fields.
Plus how many times have you seen a magazine rate the same products over others because you know they got paid? Ex: CAR&Driver (BMW)

I called Florida Gun Exchange, it wasnt even a 1911 they carry,it was a transfer, so either the author BOUGHT it (which means hes going to give it a favorable review) or he got it for free (which means he's going to give it a favorable review)..

Lets say i spend $1200 and all my squad says "how does that 1911 run" you would be hard pressed to say "gee guys this was the worse $1200 i ever spent on a firearm", no you make excuses about the ammo, and how it just "NEEDS" a few things to run perfect (sound familiar).

Am i honestly sounding unreasonable? There are so many other manufacturers and an author gets a Roberts Defense on transfer writes an article and its Supposed to be taken as "GOSPEL"..wouldnt you rather have an ex "HAAS" machinist, blue collar (middle class if that exists) ,shooting competitor like myself give you the real low down on if its worth the $12-1300?

Maybe it is the next best thing in 1911s for the price but ive met country boys who know alot more about shooting and machining than someone with just book smarts. You learn alot more competiting with a firearm than walking around with it holstered.

A few companies gave DEMO models to a local indoor range(HOTSHOTS) in hollyhill FL and YES people actually were more apt to buy a firearm they manipulated and fired. Than just seeing something in a magazine and ordering it.

Again,i hated Glocks, i called them LEGO guns, then when i actually competed with one,i ended up buying two a 19/17C.
If Roberts Defense is worth the coin, let me pay to rent a demo and sign a contract,if i like it ill buy it! Where is the risk? im a member of the same private club as the author,i would put down the whole $1200 as a refundable deposit so there is no concern for the 1911.
So wheres the excuse? They are a new company, they need to prove to US the 1911 buyers.
If anyone lives near Daytona FL,i will pay for you as my guest and you can also give your own personal review. I will pay for all ammo as well.
How about that? This is an open invitation, if Roberts Defense agrees, i will happily accept a guest on a day pass and pay for it.

Sorry if i came off like a jerk, but if anyone honestly thinks im a keyboard ninja or whatever you call them, feel free to PM me and i will send you vid link of me competing....

Regards
BABY CHIEF

buckhorn_cortez
September 21, 2013, 09:48 AM
I don't know, but that photo looks pretty hoakey. Looks like cheap CGI instead of an actual photo. If that photo came from their website, that would be enough to scare me away.

It is NOT a computer generated image (CGI). That takes far too much time and software to generate. The photograph appears to have been done with three lights (one light being a softbox or an umbrella) and one or two front reflectors - and then retouched in Photoshop.

Retouching advertising photos is standard practice. Before you could do it in a computer, I paid photo-retouchers to do that for me so that the image would reproduce better when printed.

When Playboy Magazine used an 8x10 camera for the centerfolds, the negatives were retouched, the print made for reproduction was retouched, the color separation negatives were retouched, and even the printing plates were sometimes dot-etched for the final retouching corrections if the proof printing was unsatisfactory. I've never heard anyone who looked at the centerfold fixate on, and complain about, all of the image retouching.

Today, the centerfold original image is done with a digital camera; and the retouching happens in the computer using a number of photo-editing programs - and in a much shorter period of time. If you know what you're doing in photo-editing software, you can do an immense amount of photo-editing and it is totally invisible.

It's really no big deal if an image has been retouched - and what that has to do with whether it is a quality pistol or not, is beyond me.

Looks to me like another person who it attempting to cash in on the 1911 market much like Cabot Guns (http://cabotgun.com/).

scottl
September 21, 2013, 09:53 AM
To introduce a gun, you don't just put up an unsearchable website and get on mag review
Yup totally unsearchable:rolleyes:Even yesterday when I found the link it was the first result.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/slitton/search.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/slitton/media/search.jpg.html)

Babychief
September 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Google yesterday i couldnt pull it up, i dont have facebook so i couldnt check that page.

Until i spoke with Lisa about their site not popping up on google, you could literally google Roberts defense and only facebook came up.
She must have took my advice yesterday when we spoke and told WEb Dpt

The moderator on here SPATS can vouch,ROBERTS DEFENSE didnt come up on google yesterday, only facebook, it wasnt in top ten even.

--------
BUCKHORN-

Hey BUCKHORN you know your photog stuff, hey if you can check out that copy of COMBAT HANDGUNS this month (kimber marsoc is on cover), Look at the Roberts Defense article by DR topper. Look at the face of the slide near the barrel bushing, is that shadow lines or those gouges from machining?on face of the slide to upper right of bushing in the main photo?

Lighting? End mill mark?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/65c95cd4224704f032832bda1b438fd6.jpg

PatientWolf
September 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
While three lights may have been used, I still think the gun was pasted in. With there lights, all objects will have the same lighting and here the gun clearly is not lighted the same as the other objects in the picture.

mrray13
September 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Babychief, those definitely look like milling marks in the photo you attached. I also agree that the photo first attached is legit, but photoshopped to clear it up. If you look closely at the holster, the gun's shadow is thereunder the trigger guard.

All that said, I checked out their website, and I like their 10% discount for LEO/military, although, I wish it was more. What kind I say, I'm a cheap LEO, lol?They look good on paper, would be interested in having one in hand. For the listed MSRP, they are right smack in the middle of the low end customs, meaning for me, under $2k. Lots of 1911s in that $12-1500 range.

Babychief
September 21, 2013, 11:23 AM
The discount is another reason why i really want to find someone who has onei can fire/cycle. $120. Discount puts it at almost just $1160 with tax and thats not bad.

The milling marks look like the parting tool wasnt "ramped off" the part, or the end mill had a speed/feed issue. I know nothing about photos or computer stuff at all, so in Lamens terms, is the photo a "work" or is it legit.

If all these, umbrellas and lights and angles were used on website, why such a poor representation in Combat Handguns?

Combat handguns mag photo
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/65c95cd4224704f032832bda1b438fd6.jpg

I dont know if this is making me want to see one in person more to buy itor disprove it at this point. Im honestly taking this with a grain of salt. I still want to buy one if they will at least ship one to a store to demo.

Website photo
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/6983d027ecb52c7273f33601cfe4eaad.jpg

Jim Watson
September 21, 2013, 11:38 AM
I could not find prices on their site.
But their advertising claims a lot of hand work and attention for the $1200-$1500 price range. Face it, a thousand dollars is the new hundred dollars.
I am an old codger who recalls buying a Gold Cup and a Python for less than $350 apiece each.

I will be interested to se an objective report from a paying customer.
No gunzine writers, no sponsored shooter, no ten guns circulated around for the anointed to play with, no store demo, but a paying customer for a gun off the assembly bench.

Babychief
September 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
I couldnt agree with you more partner!

That was all i was trying to say in my origional post and i got slammed by someone saying "what are my credentials"?

I figure decades of competition and a job that requires me to be armed was good enough. More importantly being a 1911 enthusiast, im a MOTORCYCLE and CAR guy. Ive turned parts before and machined heads,And i do my own 1911 small work, so i thought that it was an honest proposition to ROBERTS DEFENSE when lisa called me that a blue collar (extinct middel class) ex machinist,1911 enthusiast who also competes at again "the SAME private club" where this author did his testing. Hows that for reducing variables.

I can buy the same types of ammo, set up a bay like he did and give you guys a no "hogwash" review and field strip of it...

Just the fact that someone made it sound like in the magazine that Florida gun exchange employees raved about it was just not factual. Ive listed their number, call Florida Gun exchange in ormond beach Fl, and ask if any employees have handled a Roberts Defense 1911...

I bet no one will be able to get any info from the same place Florida gun exchange where the author procured his Roberts Defense 1911 in the Combat Handguns magazine this month!!!!

I still say for $1200 if they would tone down the billboard name and put a c-clip on the slide catch to rectify "the fatal flaw"(i believe the russians did this already) they would seperate themselves from the pack.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/7a2e9d8a60e4bdca104318d2fe9ae43a.jpg

915A
September 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
Not to derail the post, but im diggin that holster and mag carrier!

Jim Watson
September 21, 2013, 01:57 PM
You have to have pull to get test guns. Just being a good shot is not enough.

I was once told that I was slated to receive one of five pre-production prototypes to test. The source was a published author of little experience in the intended market, so he sought me out to wring out the gun. Never happened. His source and connection was not as good as he thought, and the guns never appeared, either to test or in the catalog.

Olympus
September 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
Oh please stop posting those terrible photos. It also looks like they are photoshopping the gun on random background photos. Whatever method they use gives a Mickey Mouse impression of their product and company in my opinion.

Babychief
September 21, 2013, 02:10 PM
I agree,which is why it shouldnt be an issue..im already looking into Christensen arms.Roberts sounded great with the discount and low price tag for what seemed to be a nice production semi/custom. If they wont demo a gun with a full retail deposit for the entire amount then they are worried about their product,hence the reason not one person can vouch for this company.

In regards to PULL, im more than an avid competition shooter..ive already had a moderator on here verify im not lying about my background in two-gun. Im not advertising myself if you do some leg work im sure you can ask if im legit or not from Spats mcgee...im not saying anymore in regards to myself sorry.

In regards to the photos i cant tell photoshop from a rerun of "Happy days"
I just wanted an opinion on ROBERTS because the article was written close to home..im over them and onto Christensen.check out that thread for a real nice pic of a 1911.

mrray13
September 21, 2013, 02:10 PM
I could not find prices on their site.

If you click on the individual model, it'll give you the msrp;

this 5" Recon is $1499 (http://www.robertsdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RP45), as are it's 4.25" and 3.5" brothers.

The 4.25" and 5" Dark Ops Operator is $1649 (http://www.robertsdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOP45), while the Desert Ops are the same. (http://www.robertsdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DOP45)

All three barrel lengths of the Super Grade Duo tone are $1549, (http://www.robertsdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SGP45) as are all three barrel lengths of the Super Grade Stainless (http://www.robertsdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SGPS45).

There ya go, msrp puts them in the $1500-$1600 ball park, regardless of alloy, rails or length. Dealers will probably charge less, and even with a 10% discount, your still in that big fat part of semi custom/custom 1911s for the same price.

Venom1956
September 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
You have to have pull to get test guns. Just being a good shot is not enough.

This was my point. Take it as you will. :rolleyes:

They still wont give u a gun with a full retail deposit because if you return it what the heck are they gonna do with a used gun? they certainly don't want it.

NJgunowner
September 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
For the price just buy a Dan Wesson and be happy :D

4V50 Gary
September 21, 2013, 10:43 PM
It is not unknown for gun makers to have guns that they send to known writers for review. When those guns are returned, they may be rebuilt and sent out as new.

I happen to have one handgun that appeared in American Rifleman. I contacted a former American Rifleman staffer and asked if it was actually fired. They got so many guns regularly that he didn't know.

GWP1948
October 4, 2013, 06:12 PM
There seems to be a lot of criticism of their photograph, is this a 1911 thread or a photoshop thread?

Sorry for the rant, here is what I hope 1911 enthusiasts want to know in response to the original post:

I was able to handle one each of the Operator, Recon, and Super Grades. I shot the Recon even though it was a bit light for my taste. It was smooth as silk and handled everything I ran through it flawlessly. I took along my Kimber UC II and my Smith 1911A1 as comparisons. I have a particular fondness for my Smith because it has always been what I shoot the best. But it's getting a bit old and is a little fussy about the ammo I feed it. The RD was not. With the same loads I shot the same groups; pretty much just made the hole bigger at 30-40 ft. I had some loads that the Smith did not particularly like, but the RD had no problems. One thing I always liked about the Smith was that I could change loads with little or no change to the impact point; same with the RD. The Kimber is a bit sensitive to load variations. I don't have a problem limp wristing my Kimber, but others do and I see complaints about that a lot. I intentionally tried to limp wrist the RD without success (held it with thumb and index finger for a couple shots). It just kept putting rounds where I aimed and cycled everything. Maybe I couldn't limp wrist it, but I tried and no joy. I shot one-hand and off-hand with no issues. The guns are well balanced and smooth. The felt recoil was lighter than either the Smith or Kimber. Not sure I can explain why, but it definitely behaved itself one-handed better than either the Smith or Kimber. I did not weigh the guns, but the Recon felt lighter than the Smith and about the same as the Kimber with a longer barrel.
I ordered a Super Grade Pro because it was the mid-weight and of the three it was the most comfortable. I didn't buy one first so I have no reason to justify my purchase or make excuses; there are none to make.
I buy what I shoot the best, looks aren't very important to me. If you don't like the big letters on the side, that's your choice but you might be missing out on a very fine 1911.

Olympus
October 4, 2013, 10:01 PM
Presentation is a HUGE factor in sales and marketing. A business can have the absolute best product in the history of the world and if the presentation is lacking, they'll never get off the ground. Just a fact of business.

I've never heard of the company or seen one of their guns. I can't comment on the quality of their product. Only about their presentation.

Babychief
October 4, 2013, 10:16 PM
When i origionally posted this i figure the author of the article would have caught wind of it by now. I have been to Florida gun exchange a few times and still havent found any sales staff that "he mentioned in combat handguns" who handled it. I ended up just going with modding my COLT enhanced gov model.
I had high hopes for Roberts at $1400 but since my O.P. ,we havent had a single picture from an actual owner or a range report w pics or video link.
Not very confidence inspiring to say the least. I would need an opinion of more than one person who shot 1 model and says it ran smooth. Any $1400 1911 out of the box with only a few hundred rounds better run smooth.
You sayou shot it with the same "loads", well what cartridges specifically? Ball only,FMJ, did it feed hollow point/personal defense rounds as well?
Did you strip it and look for tooling marks? Did it have M.I.M. Sear and disco?
Thats info i want from someone other than the author from the "combat handgun" article on these Robert defense 1911s. We are beating a dead horse at this point.

I bet my Colt "E" will keep a smile on my face anyway and at least at the end of the day its a COLT

IdahoG36
October 5, 2013, 04:19 AM
I recently read a review of one in the newest issue of Combat Handguns. Looked pretty interesting. I generally don't care at all about any 1911s that come out nowadays, and this one sort of peaked my interest.

The model was the Super Grade Pro.

Babychief
October 5, 2013, 08:40 AM
Thats what this entire O.P. was about, combat handguns article..:D

GWP1948
October 5, 2013, 10:17 AM
Here is what I ran through the RD:

Competition and carry load:
Remington brass
Federal Match primers
200 gr Ranier JHP
5.2 gr Titegroup
4 of us shot about 300 rounds

Carry load when I can get them:
Hornady Critical Defense - 9 rounds

Practice rounds:
Same as competition/carry with mixed brass and Federal primers (not Match)
100 +/- rounds

Another load:
Win primers
185 gr (can't remember the bullet, but JHP)
7.2 gr Win 231
Remington brass
50 +/-

Mixed bag:
When I have a few rounds left over I pitch them in a box for plinking. Includes some round nose, Wolf, Remington, Federal, etc., etc.
20-30 rounds

I did not take it apart when I was finished. After going through the rounds listed above I felt no perceived change in the action. It was tight and smooth so the grit from shooting did not have a perceivable impact on the action. No miss feeds or FTEs.

I judge smooth by comparing the slide to my Sigs; I think Sigs have the smoothest actions on the market, or at least what I own. I don't measure anything, it's all feel. The RD is as smooth, or more so, than the Sigs. I have not found any other 1911 that is as smooth as my Sigs until the RD. Maybe it's limited experience.

I don't expect you to buy one because I shot one and liked it. I wouldn't buy one because you liked it. You asked if anyone had shot one, I did. I shared my experience because there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who have shot them. They sell everything they can make so there is something good about them. Hopefully others will share their experience as well.

Babychief
October 5, 2013, 12:30 PM
Great range report. It would be great if they would allow more shooters to demo their 1911 line. Til then a Colt enhanced/custom,old Rock river or Dan wesson will do for now.

vyse.04
October 6, 2013, 05:55 AM
It's a new 1911 from a new company. Given that big name companies have problems with filling orders, I think it would be even harder for small companies like RD to get their product out there.

I can't recall reading a negative review in a gun magazine, and I doubt that I ever will. I take that into account when I buy them, and I wouldn't read too much into not receiving a tester handgun from RD. If you feel better spending $1200 on another gun (probably without shooting that same gun before the purchase), go for it. The fact that you do not feel strongly enough about the RD brand to take a chance says that you have already made your mind up... and I don't mean that in a negative way. There are plenty of good guns out there, so I feel it is silly to spend so much time trying to prove/disprove a particular review of ANY firearm.

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2013, 08:35 AM
The sniping stops, right now, or I put a very definitive end to it.

Babychief
October 6, 2013, 07:46 PM
I do like the magazine "RECOIL" but for tests i stick with "GUN TESTS" mag:

Info:
Gun Tests is a magazine that is devoted to serious reviews of guns of all types. Gun Tests accepts no commercial advertising so their writers are free to tell the truth. The magazine mainly publishes reviews of new firearms and comparisons between similar models.

Gun Tests is known well for publishing reviews of new firearms. The magazines writers publish dozens of detailed reviews of new handguns, rifles, shotguns, and more each month. Gun manufacturers are coming out with so many new products that it would be impossible to sift through them all without help from experts like those at Gun Tests.

Boncrayon
October 8, 2013, 03:55 PM
It looks great as any 1911 with the features buyers are looking for. I looked at many models including the awesome Kimber. I wanted the 1911, but didn't have a Kimber budget. After a long searching and many reviews, I settled on a Magnum Research "Desert Eagle" 1911 for not more than $800. What sold me was that it was made by BUL in Israel. It's now marketed by Kahr. It has all the features and workmanship of the Kimber, and I installed Meprolite Tritium sights for night viewing, also made in Israel.

I'd read reviews on any new make before buying. It's your budget and cup of tea!

Babychief
October 8, 2013, 04:20 PM
I had a CHARLES DALY BUL m5 and it was the worst 1911 ive ever owned.
Multiple failures and it wasnt the magazine either. It was a breat looking 1911 but they have nothing but problems.

The american classic Amigo is another nightmare,looks great but its not a shooter. Buyer beware.

DT Guy
October 9, 2013, 06:39 PM
Most gun writers (I was one, for years) do NOT get free guns. They get the guns transferred to them by the maker (there's an actual exception in federal law allowing for this sans FFL, but few do it) and then send it back. Sometimes they're offered a discounted price if they purchase the test gun, but in my experience it isn't compelling.

One part of testing guns being able to shoot them; another part is being able to convey the results of that testing in written form, which is not as easy as it might seem. I'll leave it at that-

Larry

Babychief
October 9, 2013, 11:04 PM
And they are no way influenced by discounts,future advertising deals with said manufacturer etc.? Come on.
Gun tests magazine is the only semi honest publication out.
The author can be a CZ,SIG or glock guy and have to review a 1911.do you think he would give it the same stellar review if it was his personal brand favorite?

I mentioned in my O.P. i asked FL gun exchange about the transfer as well as who actually saw the Roberts defense when it came in and i could not find oneof the staff that knew about its arrival except for the manager Adam E who i know personally(author stated in combat handguns this month the staff was impressed,hmm really,what staff i know everyone who works there),Again i was interested in seeing it in person and would like an owner preferably the author who tested at the same private club where i compete/am a member, to come out and let some prospective buyers demo it. Ill pay for ammo and his range time if he is not a member. If its such a great 1911 for that price point whats to hide?

For those who didnt read my O.P., FLORIDA Gun exchange does not sell nor stock Roberts defense to this day. In combat handguns article the author made it seem like he bought his personal Roberts defense and was reviewing it..maybe he paid the manufacturer and has it transferred and just paid the FFL fee, or maybe it was a demo..who knows...who cares at this point.

DT Guy
October 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
I can say that writing for Combat Handguns, American Handgunner and several other publications, I never once was pressured to review anything in a particular light. Not once.

But I certainly don't want my actual experience to influence your speculations, so please, continue.

Larry

Babychief
October 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
What is your e.d.c. larry out of curiosity?
1911?
Glock?
CZ?
Sig?
Hk?

What is your favorite firearm and why?
If its the 1911 what brand and why?

DT Guy
October 11, 2013, 05:59 AM
When I was an LEO, my off-duty varied between a Glock 17 (duty weapon) and a BHP that was fairly well tricked out. These days it's likely to be an S&W Shield .40 or a 4" XD 9MM.

All my current 1911's are full size, so aren't too comfy for EDC. My favorite is a build-up I did with a Kimber SS frame, STI slide and EGW internals.

Larry

Babychief
October 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
Welli carry the same so i cant argue ;)

I carry for work glock-17 w zev tech spring kit and connector. Try out the zev trigger spring and skeletonized connector from Zev tech only $8/$18(flitz polished and edges knocked down/chamfered)
It has the glock creep but 2.6lb pull and glass rod break.

My colt 1911 enhanced gov has E.Brown,F.L.G.R.,fitted bushing and EGW/infinity sear/disco.

Great choice in firearms b.t.w.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/bace7a2338ca041ec5f990a632418c1d.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/poppanitrous/c8bd3038a18861ec577e277929091f79.jpg

Mike Irwin
October 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
"I can say that writing for Combat Handguns, American Handgunner and several other publications, I never once was pressured to review anything in a particular light. Not once.

But I certainly don't want my actual experience to influence your speculations, so please, continue."

Same here when I was associate editor of American Rifleman magazine. None of the manufacturers, distributors, etc., ever contacted me to request favor in a review.

Nor did I ever use my position as the number three editor for one of the most widely circulated and influential firearms magazines ever put pressure on any of our staff or contributors to slant a review one way or another.

I've recounted numerous times the one episode where there was a decision to review a handgun even though it was a piece of crap (Colt AA2000).

NONE of that came from Colt; in a nutshell, it was an INTERNAL decision, largely because we were trying to keep from being the ones to put the final nail in Colt's financial coffin. Nothing in the review was untrue, but it was my contention that the gun shouldn't be reviewed at all until Colt ironed out the bugs.

Far more often, if a gun didn't measure up, we boxed it up and sent it back to the manufacturer with a nice "thanks, but no thanks," note.

I've often heard these baseless accusations made against both the industry and firearms journalists over the years by people who ZERO information but a whole lot of imagination, spite, supposition, fantasy, and god knows what else.

No respectable firearms journalist would ever engage in a quid pro quo trade like that. No only could it be criminally illegal in certain circumstances, it would effectively shut out the individual from every working for a respectable member of the firearms industry again, either press or manufactuer.

So, unless someone has ACTUAL, verifiable, ready-to-go-to court kind of proof of such accusations, ANYONE slinging them around here again will no longer be a member of TFL.