PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick between these three bolt action 308

TheFineLine
September 5, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'm looking for a good all around hunting rifle. My budget is around $500-$700.

I'd like a stainless barrel, composition stock, and detachable magazine. I've narrowed it down to: all 308s, a Remington 700 SPS SS, Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP Stainless, and a Tikka 308 stainless.

I like the idea of Savage's barrel nut for easy barrel swap. I stopped by Academy and cycled each of them. I hadn't initially been considering the Tikka but the guy suggested it and it was remarkably smoothe. Remington is of course the standard.

What are your recommendations?

jersurf101
September 5, 2013, 12:37 PM
I just went through essentially the same thing in looking for a .308. I ended up with a savage 11 with the Nikon pro staff on it. I couldn't be happier. After looking at all of the other options the savage is just more gun for the money.

allaroundhunter
September 5, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that none of the guns that you mentioned have detachable magazines. If you mean that you want a hinged floor plate then okay.

The Remington 700 SPS series have some of the worst stocks in factory rifles. I own one, and the first thing that I did was get a better stock.

If you don't want to have to change the stock, then go with either the Savage or Tikka. I have a SS Savage in .270 WSM and I really like it, but I don't have much experience with Tikka rifles.

Remington really isn't the 'standard' anymore. They have really had some issues as of late. Hopefully they'll step up their game in the near future.

Mystro
September 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
Savage for sure.

TheFineLine
September 5, 2013, 01:50 PM
Allaround

I'm glad you mentioned that. I thought all three came in my desired configuration. So I double checked;
The Tikka and Savage have them. The Remington can be either stainless or blued with DM but not both.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16TROPHYHUNTERXP
http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?litess

csmsss
September 5, 2013, 02:18 PM
I have read in more than one source that the detachable magazine Savages are not as accurate as those with a floorplate. And if you do decide to go with the Savage, I'd recommend the Accu-Stock (very strongly) over their regular synthetic stock, which I find greatly inferior.

NWPilgrim
September 5, 2013, 02:43 PM
I just bought a new rifle this year and like you was looking at US manufactured rifles. But I stopped in at Cabelas earlier this year and on the bargain rack they has a Sako A7 for the same price as the Tikka 3. They are very similar (A7 shares features of the Tikka T3 and Sako 75 and 85 but looks mostly like the Tikka). My son-in-law has a Tikka 3 in .223. They seem to have the same barrel, very similar stock, magazine, etc.

I am totally happy with the Sako or Tikka. They have earned a reputation for accuracy. Both of our rifles (.223 and .30-06) easily shoot sub-MOA with several loads. The rifles are very trim, lightweight, solid, and buttery smooth bolt action. The trigger is also light and crisp, set at about 3.5 lbs but adjustable.

Many of the rifles made to today are very good quality and it is hard to go wrong. But for a light, balanced, accurate, smooth action, and excellent factory trigger the Tikka would get my vote.

jmr40
September 5, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that none of the guns that you mentioned have detachable magazines. If you mean that you want a hinged floor plate then okay.

All Tikka's have detachable mags. Savage offers the option of detachable mag, blind mag, or floor plate so he has the option

I'd buy the Tikka in a heartbeat over the others.

HopeandChange
September 6, 2013, 09:28 AM
For durability and parts commonality... the REM 700 is my pick.

Tikka and Savage have good accuracy reputations though...

Kinda depends on what you demand of the gun. I shoot 1000 rounds per year out of my Bolt gun, so it's Rem 700 all the way for me.

chaser_2332
September 6, 2013, 01:40 PM
"I have read in more than one source that the detachable magazine Savages are not as accurate as those with a floorplate. And if you do decide to go with the Savage, I'd recommend the Accu-Stock (very strongly) over their regular synthetic stock, which I find greatly inferior."

Please explain the logic behind this?

allaroundhunter
September 6, 2013, 02:01 PM
The detachable magazine leads to a less rigid stock due to the cutouts.

Unless you hand load and wring every bit of possible accuracy out of the rifle, you are unlikely to see the difference, however.

TheFineLine
September 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
Well, I've been researching like crazy, and stopped by a couple of fun shops cycling bolts and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior. It has the accutrigger and accustock with the heavy barrel. Not settled but pretty sure. I really liked the feel of the Tikka T3 but it's sooo light, I bet recoil is a B.

I've changed my mind on the caliber. I have the 7.62x39 and 5.56/.223 and I think those will work for shorter ranges and varmints. I'm in North Texas and most of our game is deer and smaller. I'm now waffling between the 270 and 30-06. I'm thinking the 270, flatter trajectory and lighter recoil and with some of the modern loads you can get 7mm mag strength out of it. What do y'all think?

sgtpepper
September 6, 2013, 03:14 PM
If the SPS is the only Remington model you're considering and if you don't intend on replacing the factory stock, I'd go with the Tikka for sure.

Otherwise I can happily recommend Remington 700's equipped with the HS Precision stock. I have one myself and compared to the stock on my friends SPS it's far superior.

allaroundhunter
September 6, 2013, 03:17 PM
The .270 will not have less recoil than a .308, and the .30-06 will have more.

I would just stick with the .308.

Geo_Erudite
September 6, 2013, 03:27 PM
I've changed my mind on the caliber. I have the 7.62x39 and 5.56/.223 and I think those will work for shorter ranges and varmints. I'm in North Texas and most of our game is deer and smaller. I'm now waffling between the 270 and 30-06. I'm thinking the 270, flatter trajectory and lighter recoil and with some of the modern loads you can get 7mm mag strength out of it. What do y'all think?

If you know that your hunts are going to be in Texas, I would recommend a 25-06 Savage Model 116 (if your feeling bold, maybe go with a Savage Model 116 in 6.5x284 Norma). It has milder recoil than the 270. The long action gives you the flexibility to switch barrels for both short and long action cartridges.

I own a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior FCSS in 6.5 Creedmoor and I love it!

Dirty_Harry
September 6, 2013, 03:31 PM
Wish I had a Tikka.

TheFineLine
September 6, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'm open to just about anything in the $500-$800 range.

I want something that is capable of LR and larger game to round out my collection. I will most likely use it for hunting (just getting into that, went my first time last week and loved it) and the range trips. As I get more into hunting I'm sure I'll be heading out of state at some point. I also have a friend starting in on building a 1000 yard national match classed shooting range. He wants to attract shooters from all over and have it be a top tier range, with fully paved rifle ranges, indoor/outdoor, reactive, etc. He's putting a tremendous amount into it. It's going to be 50 miles from me so I'll probably only get there a few times a year, but I'd like to be able to stretch out on the long range with it and be able to take most North American game.

shadowviper
September 6, 2013, 04:11 PM
The Remington 700 SPS series have some of the worst stocks in factory rifles. I own one, and the first thing that I did was get a better stock

The regular savage composite stocks suck too.

allaroundhunter
September 6, 2013, 05:04 PM
The regular savage composite stocks suck too.

They are considerably better than the Remingtons.

PatientWolf
September 6, 2013, 06:03 PM
I voted for the Savage. My first choice followed very closely by the Tikka. Of the three, I'd pass on the Remington. I will probably get chastised, but that is the order I'd choose.

Grizz12
September 6, 2013, 06:13 PM
I just picked up a ruger GSR and I'm getting one ragged hole w/3 shots at 100yrds.

It has become my favorite rifle

Jerry45
September 6, 2013, 06:17 PM
The Remington 700 SPS series have some of the worst stocks in factory rifles. I own one, and the first thing that I did was get a better stock.

For my money I'd go for CZ. My 527 Varmint .223 is a tack driver. I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD two months ago. I put it in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, added a Badger Ordnance tactical knob and a Jewell trigger. Won't shoot under 2" at 100 yards. I have a new Bartlein barrel on the way.

Rikakiah
September 7, 2013, 01:53 AM
If the SPS is the only Remington model you're considering and if you don't intend on replacing the factory stock, I'd go with the Tikka for sure.

Otherwise I can happily recommend Remington 700's equipped with the HS Precision stock. I have one myself and compared to the stock on my friends SPS it's far superior.

I can also attest to the HS Precision stock (had a PSS). It was a beautiful rifle. Only reason I got rid of it was I don't have access to a range greater than 100yds and wearing out quarter sized holes gets boring pretty quickly. One of the best guns I've ever had, though.

hooligan1
September 7, 2013, 07:50 AM
Post number 12,,,, NOW your talking!! I'm a confessed "SAVAGE FREAK", I really like the out of box accuracy of the Savages... The "Weather Warrior" is the best choice because it has no detachable magazine, it has the Hinged Floorplate..I had the 111 in 3006 with detachable mag. and it seemed to want to fall out at unopportune moments... anyways best choice FineLine!!!:D

Nemsis
September 11, 2013, 05:44 PM
I'm with hooligan if you want a hunting rifle get the savage with the hinged floor plate.