PDA

View Full Version : Nice To See a Well Worn Colt Government on TV

Sharpsdressed Man
August 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
When LONGMIRE first came on, I thought it had promise, then the writing/plots got a little over the top, then they come and go. Last episode, though, it showed the Sheriff lying his weapon and paddle type holster on a table when entering a prison to talk to an inmate. Clearly, it was a Colt Government Model, circa 1924-1939 (given away by the nicely checkered mainspring housing), usually called the Pre-WWII Commercial Model. I can't tell if it is a .45, or .38 Super, but it was almost gray in color, and had genuine aged stag grips (yeah, you could make them out, too, to be real). Nice touch of retro-gun-authenticism (my spell check is telling me I just made that up) in a little off-beat TV show.

Armybrat
August 26, 2013, 07:22 PM
Somebody in the production must be a nostalgic gun guy.

I find it interesting to see an old movie from the 1930s or '40s where they obviously had to use genuine antiques for period pieces.

Then again it kinda ticked me off when I'd see Colt Peacemakers being used in a post Civil War western but prior to 1873.

jglsprings
August 26, 2013, 07:51 PM
Old Colt Government Models are why "No Country For Old Men" is one of my favorites as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcjRNOfvVgM&

Although I wish he carried it cocked and locked.

KyJim
August 26, 2013, 09:34 PM
I saw the movie The Sand Pebbles a couple of days ago. It had been a long time since I last saw it and I got excited seeing them use the 1911. I noticed it had the arched mainspring housing which the military adopted in 1924 (the movie took place in 1926). Something struck me a bit odd and, yep, it was actually a Star Model B according to IMFDB. Seems like a lot of the old 1911s in movies are actually Star Model Bs because they were 9mm and it was easier to get them to function with blanks than the 1911 .45s.

BTW, The Sand Pebbles is a great movie with Steve McQueen and Richard Crenna.

BarryLee
August 26, 2013, 11:40 PM
Nice touch of retro-gun-authenticism (my spell check is telling me I just made that up) in a little off-beat TV show.

Yes, I’ve noticed the gun on Longmire in a few different episodes and it does seem to really fit the character.

Seems like a lot of the old 1911s in movies are actually Star Model Bs because they were 9mm and it was easier to get them to function with blanks than the 1911 .45s.

Man, I was crushed to find out the 1911 that Tom Magnum used on Magnum PI was actually a 9mm. My understanding was the 9mm blanks were more reliable or more readily available or something.

RickB
August 27, 2013, 12:00 PM
I saw the movie The Sand Pebbles a couple of days ago. It had been a long time since I last saw it and I got excited seeing them use the 1911. I noticed it had the arched mainspring housing which the military adopted in 1924 (the movie took place in 1926). Something struck me a bit odd and, yep, it was actually a Star Model B according to IMFDB. Seems like a lot of the old 1911s in movies are actually Star Model Bs because they were 9mm and it was easier to get them to function with blanks than the 1911 .45s.

BTW, The Sand Pebbles is a great movie with Steve McQueen and Richard Crenna.

And don't forget a lovely, 19yo Candice Bergen!
It's often only in the scenes in which the gun is fired that the Star is substituted for a real M1911. The scene at "the boom", when the Petty Officer is shot, I think you can clearly see the external extractor of the Star, but in the earlier scene where the Captain is in his cabin, alone, with a gun on the table (for self-defense, or suicide?), I think that gun is a real M1911A1.
The Sand Pebbles is one of my favorite movies, with lots of excellent "shooting" scenes involving M1903 Springfields, M1911s, and BARs.

Hiker 1
August 27, 2013, 12:04 PM
Although I wish he carried it cocked and locked.

Oddly enough, that may have been accurate in a way. I'd be willing to bet there were plenty of LEO's and others "back in the day" who thought it was safer to carry a 1911 with the hammer down.

RickB
August 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
C 'n' L was popularized in the 1960s. The popularity of DA autos - the very existence of DA autos - is evidence that nobody really knew what to do with an SA auto until Jeff Cooper showed 'em.

Bart Noir
August 27, 2013, 02:13 PM
Sheriff Longmire carries his 1911 with the hammer down.

Not long ago there was an episode where he ropes a feisty horse and then is dragged in the dirt. Starting with his right side!

I cringed for that poor Gov Model :eek:

I groaned this season where he had to fire it, and the special effect muzzle blast came out of the recoil plug, noticeably below the muzzle opening. I rewound just to confirm this.

Can we even say "rewind" when using a digital video recorder (DVR)? I mean, there isn't any tape being wound in the first place, it is a hard drive.

I highly recommend the books. They are well written and a pleasure to read.

Bart Noir

SFsc616171
September 21, 2013, 08:36 PM
Thought you were going to discuss "Mike Franks's" personal carry piece, from NCIS.

scottl
September 21, 2013, 11:37 PM
Thought you were going to discuss "Mike Franks's" personal carry piece, from NCIS.
Thread title is Well Worn Colt Gov't not well worn S&W 1911
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/NCIS_-_Season_8#Smith_.26_Wesson_SW1911PD

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/67/NCISS8_301.jpg/600px-NCISS8_301.jpg

80viking
September 21, 2013, 11:47 PM
A friend of mine watches old Perry Mason reruns and is always telling me about how accurate all the gun stuff is (was) on that show. The last one he told me about some guy was on trial and a piece of evidence was a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. There was another episode that he mentioned and the evidence was a Mauser Broomhandle. Back in a time where people knew what guns were and how they worked, 95+% of TV audiences are clueless these days.

John

ClydeFrog
September 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
Actor Joe Mantenga, who plays a retited FBI profiler, who returns to active service.
He uses a 1911a1 .45acp on the series; Criminal Minds.
The other cast members use P226Rs and Glocks.

Nick_C_S
September 22, 2013, 12:13 AM
I like the show. And I like his .45.

But I think I'd like it even better if he packed a wheel-gun. He seems like a wheel-gun guy to me.

(Oopsie - I'm in the semi-automatic Forum :p )

g.willikers
September 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joe is a real gun guy.
Check out his Gun Stories shows on the Outdoor Channel and on Youtube.

thedudeabides
September 22, 2013, 06:50 PM
My favorite Star 9mm, is Jules's "Mr. 9mm." I think Tarantino picked it specifically because Stars were used to replace 1911s in movies. Vincent carries an Auto Ordinance 45, tho.

1911Tuner
September 23, 2013, 04:00 AM
Oddly enough, that may have been accurate in a way. I'd be willing to bet there were plenty of LEO's and others "back in the day" who thought it was safer to carry a 1911 with the hammer down.

Indeed. Before Jeff Cooper came along and to influenced the pistoleros, most people who carried the Big Colt carried it with the hammer down or on half-cock, usually only placing it in Condition One when they felt that things were about to go sideways. A few who walked around during the course of the day...who operated in high-risk environments and knew that things could go wrong without warning did carry them cocked and locked...but they were a minority.

Quentin2
September 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
Actor Joe Mantenga, who plays a retited FBI profiler, who returns to active service.
He uses a 1911a1 .45acp on the series; Criminal Minds.
The other cast members use P226Rs and Glocks.

Joe really breathed life into his Rossi character, and the 45 was a nice touch. I always enjoy seeing a 45 carried by a main character. As was said earlier, Joe is a true gun guy and has been for over 40 years. Like Gary Sinise, he is very respectful of the military which is refreshing too.

The show Blue Bloods is really missing out, they could have gramps with a S&W Model 10, Tom Selleck with a Colt 1911 (as he has carried in other roles), the older son with a S&W 5906 and the younger with a Glock. Would make a fun reoccurring scene with them arguing which is the best, shooting at the range and gathered at the kitchen table cleaning their guns. And of course the two younger boys there asking questions. Sad that Selleck doesn't pick up the ball and do something like that.

BarryLee
September 23, 2013, 09:53 AM
The show Blue Bloods is really missing out, they could have gramps with a S&W Model 10, Tom Selleck with a Colt 1911 (as he has carried in other roles),

Doesn’t Selleck carry a snub nose .38 with the cut trigger guard which I believe is called a Fitz Special (http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/the-fitz-special/)or something like that? While I share the attraction to the .45 I suspect that would be much more accurate for a Police Commissioner.

Quentin2
September 23, 2013, 10:10 AM
For CCW yes. I was suggesting comparing service sized handguns of each generation.

obiwan1
September 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
The period pieces with carrying "condition 3" by U.S. troops are correct. During my tenure - USMC 1968-1970, that's how we were told to carry our 1911s. All pistol training/qual did is to see if we could actually hit something. I really liked my old Remington Rand 1911. Shake it and it rattled, but its errors and my errors cancelled each other and I was actually pretty good with it.

royal barnes
September 24, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joe Montegna and Muse Watson both carry Springfield TRP's in their respective series according to IMFDB.

RUT
September 24, 2013, 04:53 PM
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/rut3556/walt_zpsa8960f51.jpg (http://s575.photobucket.com/user/rut3556/media/walt_zpsa8960f51.jpg.html)

Homerboy
September 24, 2013, 07:37 PM
Selleck's character, Frank Regan, does own a 1911. One episode had him and his daughter at the range shooting. He carries a Fitz Special, which is a Colt revolver with the front of the trigger guard cut out for a faster trigger pull. His father commented on it in one episode, saying Selleck should carry a semi for more rounds.

Donnie Wahlberg USED to carry a 5946 for the first few episodes, then a Glock, now he carried a Kahr K9. At least they kept within approved guns, but real cops can't just switch from a 5946 to a Glock 19. The Kahr's USED to be authorized off duty guns, but they aren't anymore, and I believe grandfathered guns are not allowed.

The younger brother annoys the hell out of me. Harvard grad becomes a beat cop in NYC and his dad is the PC? Hell no. IF he came on the job, he'd be in a high profile detail. Much more likely, he's be a federal agent.

Sharpsdressed Man
September 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
^^^Old school on the Longmire gun, and it fits his personality. He has the hammer down, probably on a live round (they did it that way in the old days, and "new" method be damned...it is just TOO cool to cock the gun when drawing! :D). Anyway, who are WE to tell a burly old western sheriff how to carry HIS gun?

Jimmy96a1
September 26, 2013, 01:04 AM
Anyone know what model 1911 clint eastwood used in gran torino? Clint being a gun guy im guessing a colt? Made quite a show when he saved that girl from the three men on the street lol.:D

DasGuy
September 26, 2013, 02:02 AM
Actually, Clint Eastwood supports gun control.

Jimmy96a1
September 26, 2013, 02:20 AM
By "gun guy" i meant a man who knows his firearms. Just because you believe in gun control doesnt mean you hate guns..

ClydeFrog
September 26, 2013, 02:57 AM
I never read any of the Longmire novels. I have seen parts of the basic cable TV series but Im not a regular viewer.
I do recall a show where they state how Longmire was a former police detective in Denver CO but it's not explained if he retired, quit or left to be a county sheriff. :confused:
The character may have toted his 1911a1 .45acp that way by SOP when he was in Denver.

As for the Clint Eastwood question, Id check www.imfdb.org . :D
As I've said a few times in the past, IMFDb.org must have settled a few 100 or so bar bets & disputes since it started.

Clyde

Armybrat
September 29, 2013, 10:54 AM
Indeed. Before Jeff Cooper came along and to influenced the pistoleros, most people who carried the Big Colt carried it with the hammer down or on half-cock, usually only placing it in Condition One when they felt that things were about to go sideways. A few who walked around during the course of the day...who operated in high-risk environments and knew that things could go wrong without warning did carry them cocked and locked...but they were a minority.

Back in the '50s every Mexican cop I saw south of the border carrying a 1911 had it cocked & locked with the leather strap in front of the hammer.

ClydeFrog
September 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
For decades, it was common for handguns to have custom features or be modified in ways that would unheard of today, :eek: .
I've seen snub revolvers with part or all of the triggerguard removed. The same for SAO 1911a1 models. Some 1911 pistol owners would tape or pin down the grip safety.
Other P35/Hi Power 9x19mm users would remove the magazine safety.
I read a notice on a well known, respected pistolsmith's website that he would not modify or remove any safety device.
I can understand that in 2013. Civil lawsuits & safety concerns seem to play a larger role in firearms today.

Clyde

1911Tuner
September 30, 2013, 05:28 PM
Back in the '50s every Mexican cop I saw south of the border carrying a 1911 had it cocked & locked with the leather strap in front of the hammer.

And I said:

A few who walked around during the course of the day...who operated in high-risk environments and knew that things could go wrong without warning did carry them cocked and locked.

And:

They were a minority.

Prior to Cooper's teachings, the people who carried 1911s north of the border cocked and locked constantly were few and far between.

Bart Noir
October 1, 2013, 01:45 PM
Other P35/Hi Power 9x19mm users would remove the magazine safety.

Oh yeah, Clyde, thanks for reminding me. I need to do that with my latest P35. :cool:

I do want it to let the mag fall out with the slide back. Right now that "magazine disconnect" forces me to exert a noticeable tug to remove the magazine. That will not do for a (potential) carry gun.

Bart Noir