PDA

View Full Version : Sight change on a Sig 229 .40

MJFlores
August 26, 2013, 06:05 AM
I've owned a Sig 229 in .40 for a few years now and am getting a little tired of the sights. The gun has combat sights, so my hold is to cover the target with the sight/ muzzle and fire. It's an accurate gun for sure, but when aimed with how I'd like to aim it it shoots low, several inches. Again, I know the gun isn't meant to hit with the sight picture I'm wanting which is more "traditional" rather than "combat". So, I've decided to finally after all these years, change the sight. My question is, where do I take it t have this done? I want it to group higher, so I think I need a lower rear?...or taller front?

Mystro
August 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
Raise the rear or lower the front. Check out Truglo they have different sizes. The best way is to get a triium adjustable combat rear sight that comes on the P229 Dark Elite from Sig Sauer.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/TheMystro1971/Hunting%20Guns%20etc/Sig%20Sauer%20P229%20Elite%20Dark/grip4net.jpg

allaroundhunter
August 26, 2013, 08:26 AM
Yep, you have the thought backwards but Mystro has properly corrected it. You want a lower front sight and/or a higher rear sight.

I would email Sig Sauer customer service to see the heights that they recommend. This isn't anything new for them so they should have a good idea of what sizes you need.

wgsigs
August 26, 2013, 09:19 AM
If you have the factory SIG sights, they are numbered. For a .40 S&W SIG the front sight is typically a #6 and the rear is a #8. An increase in one number (actually a lower sight) in the front is suppose to raise the POI 1" at 25yds while an increase in one number in the rear raises the POI 2" at 25 yds. It appears that the rear sights only go up to #10, but in combination with a #9 in front would give you the 7" you need. However, I would take allaroundhunter's recommendation and talk to SIG customer service for their recommendation.

The information I gave you here is from the last page of the Universal Sight Pusher document on SIG's website under the "Accessories" tab.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/OwnerManual.aspx

MJFlores
August 26, 2013, 12:29 PM
Mystro is that an adjustable rear?

wgsigs
August 26, 2013, 06:29 PM
... or you could just get an adjustable rear sight. :D

MJFlores
August 26, 2013, 07:15 PM
HAHA....I'll just be happy when it's how I'd like to to be. :D Do you think I can just buy a lower front site and have someone locally install it? A range near me has Sig sight pusher and I'd be happy to pay them to install the new site. Where would I but the new lower front?

wgsigs
August 26, 2013, 10:35 PM
I know you can get sights from SIG, and maybe with some advice. But you can also get them from Top Gun Supply, probably for a little less.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-sights-parts/

However, maybe you will hear from Mystro because those rear sights he was talking about may be adjustable.

MJFlores
August 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
I called Sig earlier today. The man I spoke with said this is a very common request. The guns shi with sites designed for combat sight picture...but us oldies like a 6 O' clock hold sight picture. #9 rear site for $55 will solve the issue and make me a happy shooter. Oddly, I discussed sending my slide in and having them install because I didn't have a site pusher and wasn't sure if the range guys would use there's to install a new sight. He said the gunsmiths at Sig don't use the sight tools either! A vice with wooden jaw liners, and a hard wood dowel is all you need. Good to know!

wgsigs
August 27, 2013, 11:09 PM
Glad you got the answer directly from SIG.