PDA

View Full Version : EFMJs in FM Hi-Power?

Beretta686
August 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
I've taken quite a liking to my Argentinian FM Hi-Power and am thinking of using it as a camping/fishing gun, that I don't mind of getting beat up from getting thrown in a box or whatever.

Though the gun shoots great and is totally reliable with 9mm FMJs, I'm not so confident in JHPs. As as I'd rather not use 9mm FMJs for defensive use, I'd looking at other options.

I'm specifically looking at the Expanding Full Metal Jackets, such as Federal's EFMJs. Does anyone have experience in them in a something like a HP, or other "non-modern" gun that wouldn't be expected to feed JHPs?

ClydeFrog
August 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
I'd advise against buying or carrying any Federal Guard Dog or expanding FMJ rounds.
A online T&E showed the 9x19mm round was lacking in a few areas for defense & carry.
There are better proven FMJ type loads out there, the Winchester Ranger T 9mmNATO 124gr, the PowRball 9mm, the Buffalo Bore Penetrator 124gr FMJ +P+.
You can get decent feeding and cycles with HP type pistols.
Custom shops like Cylinder & Slide and Chestnut Moutain Sports(Karl Sokal) are highly rated for Browning Hi Powers.
Sokal did a lot of custom work for HRT(hostage rescue team) and SWAT officers who used the Hi Power 9mm in the 1980s/1990s.

IdahoG36
August 26, 2013, 05:43 PM
In older guns that won't run jhp reliably, I would use the Corbon PowRball. They are a decent SD round, with the profile of a fmj to reliably feed in older firearms.

bdb benzino
August 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Or you could take your barrel to a good gunsmith and have him mill the hump out of the feed ramp, mine that had the work on it works as smooth as the ones with out the hump, and is fairly inexpensive mod to do. Good luck!;)

Sgt Pepper
August 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
Are you not confident in JHPs because of your experience with shooting those through your pistol, or just not confident?

The reason that I ask is that my Hi-Powers chew up and spit out everything I feed through them. I would not hesitate to use JHP in a Hi-Power unless you know from experience that your pistol has had some failure issues with that type of ammo.

KyJim
August 26, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'd advise against buying or carrying any Federal Guard Dog or expanding FMJ rounds.
A online T&E showed the 9x19mm round was lacking in a few areas for defense & carry.
There are better proven FMJ type loads out there, the Winchester Ranger T 9mmNATO 124gr, the PowRball 9mm, the Buffalo Bore Penetrator 124gr FMJ +P+.
You can get decent feeding and cycles with HP type pistols.
The OP evidently wants an expanding bullet while maintaining reliability of a FMJ. How does the Buffalo Bore Penetrator do this? It seems exactly the opposite of what the OP wants -- its full metal jacket will penetrate (probably over penetrate) and the blunt nose could conceivably cause feeding problems like hollow points. The Winchester Ranger T 9mm Nato is just a hot FMJ and will probably over penetrate and will not expand. Perhaps the Corbon PowRball will do what the OP wants but not the other two.

What's wrong with the Federal EFMJ, other than it doesn't expand as well as normal hollow points?

BTW, what's an "online T&E?" Sounds vaguely obscene. :)

IdahoG36
August 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
Or you could take your barrel to a good gunsmith and have him mill the hump out of the feed ramp, mine that had the work on it works as smooth as the ones with out the hump, and is fairly inexpensive mod to do. Good luck!

That is a good alternative as well.

ClydeFrog
August 26, 2013, 09:47 PM
I choose not to answer post #6, :rolleyes:.

CF

Aguila Blanca
August 27, 2013, 05:34 AM
I'm also curious about the reluctance to carry (tote) JHP ammo. I have an FM Hi-Power. It shoots anything I put in it.

Beretta686
August 28, 2013, 07:12 AM
Are you not confident in JHPs because of your experience with shooting those through your pistol, or just not confident?

I don't feel like buying a few hundred rounds of JHP, only to possibly find out that it doesn't work in my Hi-Power.

In the past, I've had trouble with 1911s that wouldn't reliably feed JHPs and as a Hi-Power is another vintage gun that wasn't really designed around JHPs, I'd rather stick to a cartridge that would most resemble that it was designed to feed: FMJs.

I may be being paranoid, but this is a military surplus weapon that's probably 30+ years old. Though it's a great, rugged gun, it's also not the most advanced technology and I like to keep things simple.

Custom shops like Cylinder & Slide and Chestnut Moutain Sports(Karl Sokal) are highly rated for Browning Hi Powers.
Sokal did a lot of custom work for HRT(hostage rescue team) and SWAT officers who used the Hi Power 9mm in the 1980s/1990s.

I had the privilege of shooting a C&S Hi-Power and it was one of the nicest shooting pistols I've ever shot. Yet getting my FM tinkered with would pretty much defeat the purpose of a beat up gun to take camping/fishing, as then it would become something I'd want to shoot all the time.

SFsc616171
September 21, 2013, 08:33 PM
Beretta686

EFMJs in FM Hi-Power?
I've taken quite a liking to my Argentinian FM Hi-Power and am thinking of using it as a camping/fishing gun, that I don't mind of getting beat up from getting thrown in a box or whatever.

Though the gun shoots great and is totally reliable with 9mm FMJs, I'm not so confident in JHPs. As as I'd rather not use 9mm FMJs for defensive use, I'd looking at other options.

I'm specifically looking at the Expanding Full Metal Jackets, such as Federal's EFMJs. Does anyone have experience in them in a something like a HP, or other "non-modern" gun that wouldn't be expected to feed JHPs?

---------------------------------------------

Dear Beretta686,

I own a MKII Hi Power. For that class of Hi Powers, it was recommended that if I were to use a JHP, it would be the old classic Remington L9MM3 115-grain JHP. Why? The 'ogive', or shape of the roundness of the bullet, acts much like an FMJ, for loading purposes, and you can use the L9MM1 115-grain FMJs for practice on the range.

THEY WORK. They are CHEAP. They are NOT 'new school'.

If you look them up, on YouTube, you will find that there have been functional tests for both bullet loads.

The EFMJ only penetrated eight inches of test gel. Not good enough!
The Hornady Critical Defense 115-grain 9mm penetrated FOURTEEN inches! Not bad for a 9mm load designed NOT to match the FBI standards.
The L9MM3 did go twelve inches, or so.

It is all your choice. I don't like having to send out my MKII, were I to use it as 'a beater', either.

(I saved my money, and bought one of those so-called 'ugly' MARPAT camo'd MKIIIs, so I might use THAT as my 'beater'. )

Wish you luck!

80viking
September 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
I would go with the FMJ's, you never know what you might have to shoot.