PDA

View Full Version : CAI Yugo Underfold AKs

friendorfoe
August 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
I know Century's reputation, but heard that they outsourced assembling the Yugo underfold AKs and that these are very nice AKs, built on thick receivers and are exceptionally accurate. What I'm wondering is...is all of that stuff really true? Is there a difference between the older wood handguard models and the newer polymer ones?

jonnyc
August 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
I have one that I'm very happy with. I sent a first back when it got to me "brand new" with a rusted barrel and chamber, and remains of orange Yugo primer seal. Might have been a test that nobody cleaned up after. Second was perfect. Both came with the plastic furniture that didn't last long, I prefer the wood stuff. Mine has the 1.5mm receiver, but I heard that later models are a bit thinner.

Boomer58cal
August 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Earlier today I was reading about Century Arms international. So this may not be 100 percent accurate, this is just what I've read. It is my understanding that Century Arms international does not assemble or reconditioned firearms themselves. They are contracted out to the lowest bidder. So they're quality depends upon which company won the bid.

I do own a CIA type 56 SKS and it is in pristine condition.

Boomer

Regular Joe
August 25, 2013, 10:59 PM
I've got the Yugo with the black polymer furniture. Maybe 3,000 rounds fired. The front site is a bit canted, but within adjustment. I greatly prefer scopes, but 5 shots with this one and irons goes 4" @ 100 yards for me. Maybe better for someone who appreciates irons.
This one remains solid. The folding stock has no play in it. I see no reason to want any other AK.

Bart Noir
September 5, 2013, 02:06 PM
I bought mine 7 or 8 years back so I am not sure if there have been any changes.

The front sight was canted and I had it straightened by a 'smith-ish friend. The wooden handguard is rough but it works. The pistol grip was plastic, used and nicked and I replaced it with a US Palm model.

The receiver is the thicker metal so the gun is heavier than non-Yugo. It has a large "ZASTAVA" on the rear sight block, which I like very much due to Monster Hunter International. That's a book reference which maybe six people will understand :D

As mentioned, the folding stock is tight and even better, is in line with the rest of the gun so I can get a good check weld for accurate shooting. Hey! Who's laughing? You can apply rifle basics to AKs, yes you can. I wrapped paracord around the left strut on the underfolding stock, to be kinder against my face.

I've seen too many underfolders which have the butt stock drooping so that you can't get the face against it when aiming.

Bart Noir
Who needs to check to see if that paracord will try to pinch and remove the new beard.

az_imuth
September 6, 2013, 06:27 PM
I've got one that I've had for a few years and haven't had any trouble with it at all. Shoots straight, folds up compact and tight, and is built to last.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/az_imuth/Old%20Album/akakleft.jpg

Regular Joe
September 11, 2013, 11:30 PM
That's a good pic, in all the right ways. I mean, the subject and contrast are good. You've properly sized and optimized it for correct internet presentation. Thank you for your applied intelligence.
The thing that always strikes me about looking at this little gun is that it is dedicated entirely to function. On mine, the exterior of the gas block is a bit rough, but graceful craft was not the intent. Where fit matters, it fits. There was not one stroke of labor wasted on anything but purpose. Whatever preconceived notion of "pretty" you have, it can only be broadened by understanding that this is the form of function.