PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a Model 70?

baddarryl
August 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hi all. I am very interested in these. I know that that new ones are fantastic, we all know about the pre 64's, but what about the years in between? I have heard there are good years and bad. If you were looking for an older one off the racks, what would you look for?

taylorce1
August 15, 2013, 10:18 PM
I think the push feed M70's are some of the most accurate rifles you can own. The stocks and the fit and finish can sometimes be lacking, but the XTR models were very well made rifles all around. I like the M670's as I can usually pick them up for at least $100 less than the same chambered M70 sporter and will shoot just as well. Think of them as the Stevens 200's of the 70's and 80's.

math teacher
August 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Some of the ones made from 64 to about 70 had horrid stocks. They were not cured enough and warped terribly. It was impossible to get any accuracy with them. Once they were restocked, they shot fine. In general the push feed 70s were probably more accurate than the pre-64s. The current FN models are probably the best.

jmr40
August 16, 2013, 07:22 AM
From the 1950's through the 1970's quality was down. Even the pre-64's of that era were not up to pre WW-2 standards and most of those rifles no longer have any real collector value. Winchester was sold to a group of investors in 1980 and guns were technically made by United States Repeating Arms Co., but still used the Winchester name. The 1980-2006 USRAC pushfeed rifles are generally well made and under rated. One of the better buys for the money on a used rifle.

They brought back true controlled round feed rifles (called Classics) in 1994-2006 and made both PF and CRF rifles at the same time. From 1994-2006 only the budget guns were offered with PF, the better finished guns with walnut stocks were all CRF Classics. These Classics were actually better made, more accurate guns than any of the pre-64's. If you can find one, they are the best of the Winchesters in my opinion if you want to buy a rifle to shoot. If you want a rifle as a collectable one of the pre WW-2 rifles, or a post WW-2 rifle only if it is in a rare chambering or configuration is the way to go.

Winchester quality once again started to slip by around 2000. They stopped making guns in 2006. FN resumed production from 2008-present. I'd be a little wary of a 2000-2006 gun. Nothing major wrong with them as a rule, but some often need some weaking by a gunsmith to make things right that should have been done at the factroy. Others are just fine.

The new FN made guns are pretty darn good too. They changed the trigger design which is the only thing I don't like about the new guns. It does have a better out of the box pull, but the older Winchester trigger design was probably the most rugged foolproof design ever made.

kraigwy
August 16, 2013, 09:11 AM
Never saw a Model 70 I couldn't make shoot. I have several, pre to FNs and its true, the FNs are the (best off the shelf) pick of the litter.

I do need a couple more M-70 actions for my future plans. Had a prefect candidate I wanted to make a 260 Rem.

It was an older post 64 AMU target rifle I got from the CMP Auction site, in 308, But the way it shot I couldn't justify screwing with it.

jrothWA
August 16, 2013, 09:27 AM
they don't seem to group with any ammo, (they have the black composite stocks).

As already mentioned there are great shooter out there, I have a 1971 M70, took the monte carlo comb off the top of the stock.
Using handloads (Sierra 165gr HPBT and 748 powder), I can hold the "X" in a standard 200 yd target from prone position @ 200 yds., nicely.

Have a post-64, (first series - no bolt guide) that I will glass-beg the action and barrel, then work up loads for it. (7mmMag)

Keg
August 16, 2013, 09:35 AM
I have pre-64 model 70's..and they are my choice....I also own and have owned The New Haven made Classics..with CRF....They are stainless..so it gives me an all weather rifle....Really don't care for the new FN guns....

Mystro
August 16, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have owned ALOT of different M70. If you want the best quality the M70 has ever been, then today's rifles are by far the best in the history of the M70. The ones made in South Carolina. Manufacturing, quality of build materials are on another level compared to the guns before it.
The best bargain gun as far as quality, accuracy and fit and finish is the "Classic" 1994-2006. Forget the push feeds. They will always be a gamble. Some will be a good/o.k shooter but they vary to much to spend time and money on one since much better generations can be had. The push-feeds will always be second class citizens compared to the CRF/claw extractors in the history of the Model 70.

Vibe
August 16, 2013, 01:24 PM
I lucked into a deal on one way back in the mid '70s. It was a Ted Williams Model 53 in 30-06. But tracing the serial number back, I found out that these were push feed USRAC Model 70s with the Sears private label. I think I gave $125 for it back then. I can hold MOA with it (or a little less), as is, with factory ammo, so I've never tried to improve on it with a bedding job or trigger tweaking.

baddarryl
August 16, 2013, 03:54 PM
First, thank you so much everyone. This site never ceases to amaze me.

Second, how can you tell Controlled Feed?

Third, what is the best way to determine year?

FSJeeper
August 17, 2013, 12:52 AM
I have a 97 M70 Classic Sporter in Left Hand. 30-06. Has served me well and my go to hunting rifle.

I had professional trigger work done to 3 lbs and the stock came beautiful and perfect handling. The only thing I do not like about it is that there are no iron sights. I may glass bed it one day but is so tight now, don't see the need.

With handloads and lot of experimenting, 1.25 MOA best group. 2.5" worst group but never fired factory rounds through it.

I took it to Africa as my back up rifle and after an accident with my other rifle, finished a 3 week Safari with it and dead right there on game animals up to Eland size. Love it. Since I bought it, Swari 1.5 x 6 on it. Perfect scope for the rifle but cost twice as much more than the rifle itself even back then.

I have owned more accurate factory rifles, I take this one with me when I hunt. We have history. I have no desire for any other hunting rifle.

handlerer2
August 17, 2013, 02:37 AM
You can identify a CRF bolt by the claw extractor mechanism, which is rather blade like and runs the length of the bolt. It is about 1/2' wide, and ends in the claw on the bolt face, that picks up and guides the cartridge from the magazine into the action.

This innovation, introduced in MDL 98 Mausers, allows the rifle to be cycled upside down or when in motion under negative G. CRF is considered a must by many PH's who guide for dangerous game.

tahoe2
August 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
my neighbor has a push feed "Featherweight" in 284 Winchester, that puts 4 shots into 7/8" every time with a cold barrel, after that
they open up to 1.25", still not too bad. If I were looking to buy one, I would go for the "CRF" first, but would not turn my nose up on a push feed in good shape.The Model 70 should be a "staple" in every collection of hunting arms. :rolleyes:

reynolds357
August 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
I agree with Taylor, the push feed 70's are the most accurate (pre FN) Winchesters I own. All the FN made stuff I have is surprisingly accurate.

Nimrod2
August 18, 2013, 04:25 AM
JMR40 nailed it with his evaluation of the M70 over the years.
For the last 32 years, my go to deer rifle has been a push feed Featherweight in 270. It has always been MOA or better and has performed flawlessly.
I just bought one of the new FN Featherweights and I must say that it is the best quality M70 I have owned right out of the box. The "rifleman's rifle" is back.

Hummer70
August 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
This information is from various sources and I can see no reason why it is not true.

The main reason New Haven shut down was the unions were killing them.

The fantastic barrels made by Winchester were done on the barrel forge machine and the supervisor of the barrel area did not take the move to SC. He has been retained as a production consultant by several firms in the industry. It is my understanding the barrel machine was well worn and sold with all the other tooling.

Before the shut down in New Haven personnel from the new owners came in and removed all the drawings from their archives and I cannot find out where they went as engineering personnel in New Haven were not told and my contacts in SC do not know either.

I suspect they were sent to FN Europe for archiving.

Also before the shutdown production went full bore on Mod 70 actions and many thousands were brought to SC just shy of being completed. (serial numbers, name etc not applied).

One thing is for sure I have never heard of anyone wearing one out. I know a guy who put his 12th barrel on same rifle a few years back.

The post 64s had a slight problem in rapid fire reloading in highpower competition. By accident I found out the exchange of the post 64 follow with a pre 64 follower made it absolutely a dream to reload in rapid fire.

As stated the Sears 53 are also nice little rifles. I still pick the late production ones up even if they have the POS plastic stocks if the price is right. The actions are still superb. I don't know if I will ever get around to putting them in a laminated stock as I have at least six target guns now and don't really need them.

Of all my favorites are the pre war guns and I have about four of them.

When the triggers are adjusted for target work the safety does not readily engage but I could care less as safety is not used.

I have shot one so much I had to bush the bolt face as the striker hole had become elongated so I made a bushing, plunge cut the area around the bolt face and forced it in with a arbor press and faced the bushing off flush with bolt face. Works like a champ.