PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1858 "shooter's model"

Old Iron
August 4, 2013, 11:06 PM
Does Pietta still make their 1858 Remington "shooter's model" revolver?

Hawg
August 5, 2013, 04:29 AM
Dixie lists it at 900.00 http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=4098

bedbugbilly
August 5, 2013, 07:21 AM
I've often wondered . . . just what are the improvements, upgrades, etc. on this model that demands the extra $$$?

Old Iron
August 5, 2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the info Hawg,..... now I guess it's a matter of choosing between buying the $900.00 Pietta "Shooter's Model", or Pedersoli's 1858 for $880.00.

Dixie's ad doesn't mention Pietta's "Shooter's Model" as having "progressive rifling", or a forged frame, like Pedersoli's 1858 from Cherry's, now I'm wondering if maybe the Pedersoli might actually be the better choice between the two.

Decisions, decisions,.... :confused: :)

Old Iron
August 5, 2013, 08:26 AM
bedbugbilly,... the way I understand it, Pietta's "Shooter's model" has closer tolerances with the cylinder's chambers machined to match the barrel's bore, and maybe some other modifications.
Probably with the extra $700.00 over the standard Pietta, the same improved "modifications" could be done by a competent gunsmith for less money (I dunno). :confused:

Hopefully we'll hear from someone who has experience with the "Shooter's Model", chime in with additional details. :)

Doc Hoy
August 5, 2013, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Old Iron
August 5, 2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Doc! :)

Bill Akins
August 5, 2013, 02:43 PM
Yes, welcome Old Iron.

bedbugbilly
August 5, 2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks Old Iron . . . and please excues my poor manners! WELCOME to the forum! :)

I've heard this model mentioned a few times but really wasn't sure why the extra $$. It would be nice to hear from someone who has one as to their thoughts on it. I don't believe I've ever run across one in person - if I did, I didn't know it. I know one of these wouldn't be for me . . . my run of the mill pistols are plenty accurate . . . it's me that's the problem! :D

kwhi43
August 5, 2013, 07:26 PM
I may have a chance to get one this weekend. I know I will get the chance
To shoot it. I'm going to compare it against my Euroarms. Be aware that they
Take a .464-.465 dia round ball. Which I have plenty. Also have a mould.

Old Iron
August 6, 2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks fellas for the warm welcome,... you make it a real pleasure to have found this site. :)

kwhi43,.... I'll be checking in often, to see how the "Shooter's Model" compares against your Euroarms. ;)

Hawg
August 6, 2013, 07:30 PM
The Pietta shooters model does have gain twist rifling they just call it progressive in Dixie's ad.

Bishop Creek
August 6, 2013, 09:42 PM
bedbugbilly,... the way I understand it, Pietta's "Shooter's model" has closer tolerances with the cylinder's chambers machined to match the barrel's bore, and maybe some other modifications.
Probably with the extra $700.00 over the standard Pietta, the same improved "modifications" could be done by a competent gunsmith for less money (I dunno).

Hopefully we'll hear from someone who has experience with the "Shooter's Model", chime in with additional details.

Old Iron, I have owned two of Pietta's "Shooters Models" over the last decade or so and they are very accurate. The first one I bought in the early '90s, and though it was the most accurate pistol I have ever fired, including both cap 'n ball and modern cartridge revolvers, had a problem with the cylinder pin not fitting quite right so I sold it about 10 years ago. The second one I bought from Cabelas around 2005 when they still carried them. Very accurate, though for some reason, not quite as accurate as the first one, it uses a .457 ball. Very nicely finished with a silver trigger guard and authentic Remington 1858 stampings on the barrel.

Around a decade ago, I had a top notch cap 'n ball gunsmith (his name now escapes me) do an action job on a late '90s standard Cabelas Pietta 58 Remington, including cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees and it is almost as accurate as the Shooters Model. In fact, I like it better and shoot it more often.

Old Iron
August 6, 2013, 10:50 PM
Old Iron, I have owned two of Pietta's "Shooters Models" over the last decade or so and they are very accurate. The first one I bought in the early '90s, and though it was the most accurate pistol I have ever fired, including both cap 'n ball and modern cartridge revolvers, had a problem with the cylinder pin not fitting quite right so I sold it about 10 years ago. The second one I bought from Cabelas around 2005 when they still carried them. Very accurate, though for some reason, not quite as accurate as the first one, it uses a .457 ball. Very nicely finished with a silver trigger guard and authentic Remington 1858 stampings on the barrel.

Around a decade ago, I had a top notch cap 'n ball gunsmith (his name now escapes me) do an action job on a late '90s standard Cabelas Pietta 58 Remington, including cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees and it is almost as accurate as the Shooters Model. In fact, I like it better and shoot it more often.

Is there anyone on this forum, that does that kind of "gunsmithing",.... I think they could do a pretty good business modifying some of our Pietta's. :)

I've got two new Pietta 1858's, and I'd be interested in getting the chambers "reamed", plus getting the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees, and the muzzle "crowned", on at least one of them. ;)

indy1919
August 7, 2013, 03:30 PM
hey Bishop Creek... I realize its been a few years ago and such since you had such work done.. and I do hate to be nosey.. But what would such a job cost.. give or take more or less

Bishop Creek
August 8, 2013, 09:24 AM
At the time I had the action job done, around 2000, it cost me $125. I'm sure it would be more now, but in my opinion, it was worth it. Very smooth cocking action, the forcing cone cut really improved accuracy, and he even cut a few small grooves in the cylinder pin to help hold lube. Made a difference.

If I was going to have someone do it now, I would have Jay Strite at Kirst Konverters do it. I have read that he does excellent work. He does more than just installing conversion cylinders: http://www.kirstkonverter.com/custom-gunsmithing.html

Here are some pics of my Shooters Model:

http://i55.tinypic.com/10r1gz8.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ewllrc.jpg

kwhi43
August 8, 2013, 11:09 AM
Did they ever make a "Shooters Model" with a brass trigger guard?

Hawg
August 8, 2013, 07:26 PM
Did they ever make a "Shooters Model" with a brass trigger guard?

Yes but they put silver plate over it.:D

Bishop Creek
August 8, 2013, 08:28 PM
I should mention that unlike the "standard" '58, the Shooters Model also has a dovetailed front sight

indy1919
August 8, 2013, 08:50 PM
Bishop, many thanks for sharing that info... and I must say that is one beautiful gun there.... Again thanks for sharing

Bishop Creek
August 8, 2013, 09:29 PM
You're welcome!

Old Iron
August 9, 2013, 12:05 AM
The "Shooter's Model" appears to be free of blatant "Made in Italy" and "Blackpowder Only" stamps (from what I can tell from the pictures), unless they are under the rammer.

I like that! :)

Phill_Jay_D
June 21, 2015, 06:37 AM
Hello.
Somebody like to play : Find a 10 differences ?
I found 10 + diffrences between ordinary Remington NMA and Remington NMA Shooters