PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 88

Old Smoker
July 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
I purchased a winchester model 88, cal 308 recently on Gun Auction. $530.00 delivered. I took it to the range last Saturday and was I suprised. I used 308, 150 grain, and the first shot, bullseye, open sights at 50 yards. Only one thing, I have a very badly bruised cheek. Recoil to the shoulder was negligible, but the upward lift, I was unprepared for that. Anyone else have any experiences with this model and caliber?

GeorgeStrickland
July 18, 2013, 07:14 AM
My 88 is in .308 as well. No bruised cheek but, kicks like the proverbial mule from a bench rest. Always thought I wanted one in .358 until I shot the .308!;)

Keg
July 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
I like mine....

PetahW
July 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have a very badly bruised cheek. Recoil to the shoulder was negligible, but the upward lift, I was unprepared for that.

The 88's stock had a bit more drop than modern rifles, and you most likely gave it a run @ your face by not pulling the butt back into your shoulder hard enough, and/or not holding your head down tightly on the comb.

Shooting off a bench only aggrivates the issue. (A benchrest rifle they're not)

If a rifle with more stock drop is shot off a bench, a much higher front (& rear) rest is indicated.

If the stock's properly held, a shooter's upper body should rock as one with the rifle's recoil, pivoting lower, thereby letting the larger torso muscles absorb the energy.

Picher
July 18, 2013, 10:21 AM
If you take the 88 apart for cleaning, take pictures, so you know exactly how the parts go back together. A buddy took about 3 days before he got it right, because several parts can go back in the wrong way. LOL

dgludwig
July 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
The 88's stock had a bit more drop than modern rifles,

This is true of most other rifles of the era, including the Remington Model 760 and the Savage Model 99, and with the attendant perceived recoil consequence that PetahW described. The middle to late fifties really was the dawn of the telescopic sight age and most gun companies started in the early sixties or so to stock their rifles with a higher (less low) drop in order to accomodate the emerging scope trend.

jrothWA
July 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
doesn'r bother me, either with scope or WIlliam foolproof rear sight.

Got two and love em both!

What major game going to be used on?

Old Smoker
July 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
I was bench shooting, I'll be taking the advice. Beats the heck out of a sore cheek bone. About three weeks before I got the 88, I purchased a 100 model in 308. After checking, of course the firing pin was the old style. I called the Winchester number, returned the old pin and received a new pin, plus a $30.00 gift card. NICE In regards to taking apart the 88, it took me awhile, just to get the 100 back together properly. I'll wait to tackle the 88. Looking at the receiver,parts, its pretty clean and well maintained already.
Added some pics of both.

PetahW
July 18, 2013, 05:04 PM

It looks like they're both post-64's - I once bought a new .243 Model 100 Carbine (19" bbl, uncheckered stock w/bbl band) that I promptly sent to P.O.Ackley, who rebored/rerifled it to .358 Winchester for me, also doing a redux to the gas aperture so it functioned OK.

It made a pretty handy shootin' iron - but I finally sold it after I found it too much for Whitetails, pencilling the JSP's right through their ribcages, allowing the deer to run off into nearby untrackable deepwater swamps. (I didn't handload at the time - 1972)

bamaranger
July 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
My first highpower rifle was my grandad's M88, which was willed to me and I started shooting at age 14. The family favorite bullet in .30 cal was 180 gr, brush bucking and knock down power and all that you know. They kicked a kid like me hard. As soon as I got a bit older, I started buying and shooting 150's.
Better, and the rifle liked them a lot more too.

The stock drop issue is well described. Make sure you have the lowest bases and rings you can use. And if all possible, shoot a scope with a small bell 32-36mm max, to minimize the need for higher rings. That may well allow you to get a better cheek weld and avoid getting bit.

The M88 is a grand old rifle, a classic. If you have accuracy issues, check the tension on the odd forearm screw, which ties the barrel to the stock. Not the best system, figuring out an ideal tension (tightness) may help. Also, I shimmed the stock at the tip of the forerm with one thickness of credit card, very subtle, and that solved a walking zero and slinging different bullet weights oddly.

Still hunt grandads rifle lightly, as did my Dad, and bamaboy someday.

jrothWA
July 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
you'll need to make "slave pins" to replace the thru pins holding the receiver and trigger assembly together.

length of pins to be: 735" long, us them to drive the other pins and to sit inside the trigger assembly, allow that assembly to drop out.

Jack O'Conner
July 23, 2013, 05:40 PM
My Savage .308 had excessive muzzle jump, too until I sent the rifle to Michigan for MagnaPorting. Their patented process did not mar the blueing at all. Four rectangles were slotted into the barrel near the muzzle. No more muzzle jump!

TR

wxl
July 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
Just bought a Model 88 in 284 Win from one of my hunting partners, in top condition. I had been reloading the 284 Win ammo for him for a couple years and been offering to take it off his hands for couple years.

mach1.3
July 25, 2013, 03:24 PM
My son-in-law inherited a pre-64 M88 in .284 in excellent condition. He also has a pre-64 M100 in .308 in excellent condition but the firing pin is broken.
I've told him to call Winchester and get it fixed, there was a safety recall on the firing pin many years ago. I would love to have either rifle b/c the wood and checkering are very nice. I have looked for an M100 in .234 but haven't found one yet. Enjoy your leverguns.

Picher
July 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
The Winchester mod. 70 and Rem 700 have excellent stock design for straight-line recoil. I'd rather shoot a .300 Win mag out of either than a .270 Win from some other rifles.

dgludwig
July 26, 2013, 10:57 AM
I have looked for an M100 in .234 but haven't found one yet.

Keep looking because if you ever find one it will be the rarest Model 100 ever made. :eek: :D

bamaranger
July 27, 2013, 12:16 AM
I do not remember a "recall" on the M88, but do remember one on its stable mate, the semi-auto M100.

dgludwig
July 27, 2013, 02:29 AM
I don't think anyone in this thread has said that there was a recall on the Model 88; those who commented about the firing pin recall correctly named the Model 100 as being the culprit.

bamaranger
July 29, 2013, 09:33 PM
I stand corrected. You are right.