PDA

View Full Version : 22LR for practice

Jen-from-IL
July 4, 2013, 07:46 PM
So while I wait for Illinois to determine if I am mentally capable To legally possess a firearm, I've been researching possible options for.a first gun to practice with before making the leap to one for home defense or concealed carry (if is state ever does what the Feds said to do). I've read reviews and watched many YT reviews and its all pretty overwhelming. I do plan on renting various guns first due to wanting to make sure I'm comfortable with grips, sights, etc. One thing I have to look for is a gun that is 'friendly' to lefties (ambidextrous safety & magazine releases would be a huge plus).

So what are some of your favorites? What should I look out for and/or avoid? I know there is a wide range of prices but that is really not my top priority (I want something that will be reliable, so I don't get frustrated).

Thanks. I have been enjoying my time here so far. A lot of information to take in, especially for this old girl. :)

Buzzcook
July 4, 2013, 08:45 PM
The Ruger Mk. series and the Browning Buckmark are the two most popular medium priced .22s

Dragline45
July 4, 2013, 09:25 PM
Cant go wrong with a Ruger MKIII or 22/45, Browning Buckmarks are a good choice too. Other .22 pistols out there like the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22 are good choices and fun to shoot but cannot touch the first pistols I listed in the accuracy department. Also when I think of pistols like the P22 and the SR22 those are pistols I don't really expect to last my lifetime, where as the Ruger MK series pistols or Buckmark's will keep on ticking. Sure the MKIII or 22/45 aren't the prettiest or coolest looking pistols out there, but they sure can shoot. I can hit 8" steel plates at 50yds with ease and man size targets at 100yds no problem with my 22/45.

TommyP
July 4, 2013, 09:56 PM
I can vouch for the Ruger MkIII.....fantastic pistol all around. Very accurate and well worth the price.

One to avoid, in my experience, is the Sig Sauer Mosquito. The only ammo that shot well for me in the Mosquito was CCI Mini Mag, and those are impossible to find right now. I also had several FTF/FTE issues.

Jen-from-IL
July 4, 2013, 09:59 PM
I can vouch for the Ruger MkIII.....fantastic pistol all around. Very accurate and well worth the price.

One to avoid, in my experience, is the Sig Sauer Mosquito. The only ammo that shot well for me in the Mosquito was CCI Mini Mag, and those are impossible to find right now. I also had several FTF/FTE issues with mine.

I've heard about the Mosquito (friend has one but hasn't done much shooting with it yet, so i don't know her experience thus far) and that one is off my list, mostly because I could see an issue with it being comfortable in my hands.

TommyP
July 4, 2013, 10:03 PM
^ Yeah, one of the most important factors in making this decision is how the gun feels in your hands. When it's right, it's right. :)

sigarms228
July 4, 2013, 10:29 PM
Since ambidextrous controls and reliability are important to you I would suggest that you check out the Smith and Wesson M&P22. I have not tried it myself but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785503_-1_773655___ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

If you like it you could then consider the centerfire M&P models for yor self defense pistol if you are comfortable with a striker fired constant action trigger pull.

Other terrific pistols that are ambidextrous are Walther PPQ (striker fired constant action and no external safety), Walther P99 AS striker fired double action/single action no external safety), HK P2000 (hammer fired double action/single action no external safety), and HK P30 (hammer fired double action/single action with or without external safety). HKs also come with what is called a LEM trigger but you don't see those too often at local gun store. All these center fire pistols also have changeable backstraps to help find the right grip for you.

Good luck!

Olympus
July 5, 2013, 09:08 AM
Ruger Mark 2 is an excellent first 22. You can get a target barrel or a skinny tapered barrel.

g.willikers
July 5, 2013, 09:14 AM
You can actually activate a standard mag release faster with your trigger finger.
The safety can, with practice, be successfully manipulated with the left thumb.
Especially with Rugers, as there are safety extensions available for them.
Or, if you're cheap like me, just use a tire tube cap.
Try this first before deciding on a gun.

tjhands
July 5, 2013, 09:44 AM
If you can find .22 ammo, I think you're making a VERY smart move by choosing a smaller caliber platform to start with, Jen.

I'd avoid the sexier looking guns like the Walther P22 and the SIG Mosquito. They are undeniably cute, but they are often very picky about what brand of ammo they reliably cycle and they are just not built with quality metals.

The Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark are not handsome to most people, but they're excellent quality, will typically shoot the cheaper "bulk pack" ammo just fine and they'll last you forever. Another option that I have some experience with and that is a bit cuter than than the 2 guns I mentioned above is the Ruger SR22. It is good quality and mine has yet to have a jam.

Take care and safe shooting to ya! :)

KyJim
July 5, 2013, 10:08 AM
I have almost invariably recommended the Ruger Mark series of pistols (I, II, or III). The Browning Buckmark is considered to be in the same class.

HOWEVER, for purposes of practicing for home and self-defense use when you "move up" to a centerfire round, consider getting a .22 pistol that is similar to what you would buy in a centerfire pistol. Both the Ruger and Browning are single action only pistols and will hit bullseyes very nicely. If you plan on shooting anything but a single action only (SAO) pistol like a 1911, then you will have to transition to a heavier, longer trigger. Now, that can obviously be done but it is something to consider.

I would probably still recommend getting a Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark because you may get tired of shooting silhouettes at 10 yards and want to shoot something at longer ranges.

TailGator
July 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
The Beretta Neos deserves a look, too. Funny looking little goomer, but quite accurate, eats anything, and very easy to take down for cleaning.

James K
July 5, 2013, 10:19 AM
I realize this is the wrong forum but you might consider a .22 revolver, which will be easier to begin with, and there are good used ones (S&W K-22 comes to mind) around at reasonable prices.

Jim

pilpens
July 5, 2013, 11:15 AM
1. Browning Buckmark 4" barrel.
2. Ruger MKII/III 4"-5.5"
3. Ruger 22/45 - 4" barrel.

- I have a 4 inch Buckmark That Iam enjoying more than my 2 Buckmark Bullseyes with front heavy 7.25 barrels. Balance is better with the 4". At one time, I had a 5.5 barrel on one of the pistols but for some reason I could not shoot it as well as the 4 or the 7.25. This past 2 months, I have been mostly shooting with the 4" buck.

- I have a MKII with 5.5 and 7" barrel - the 5.5 balance is good. Have not tried a MK series with 4.5". The 7 barrel feels front heavy.
- I have shot a 5.5 and a 4 Ruger 22/45 and the 4" balances better for me.

- I have not shot my Ruger MKIIs in months.

RC20
July 5, 2013, 11:58 AM
I would not disagree on the 22 revolver particularly if you plan on that platform as you HD, SD or carry gun. If its a semi auto however, more better to get one of those 22s as you get familiar with the semi auto operation.

Listed 22s semis are all good. If you want a lifetime top marksman 22 then the S&W Model 41 is probably the best one and used goes for $700 or so (new ones are $1000 or a bit more as I recall.

I would not get one of the wannabe ones that look like a modern semi auto.

They are not all that accurate (by 22 standards). One of the dedicated type 22s rather than the looks alikes are intended as accurate target guns as well as useful plinkers.

Ruger and the Buckmark are the entry ones that do well, S&W stands alone (IMHO) in the middle and then you can go on up to Hameralis and the like.

Jen-from-IL
July 5, 2013, 01:02 PM
You guys are awesome (and overwhelming me - hehehe).

The compact guns are not an option, due to more than likely not fitting my hands ( little bigger than many women). I do want to practice on something that will eventually be similar to what is used for home and personal defense (when I move to that level). Nothing against the Ruger MKII/III or Buckmark. Not so sure my eyesight would handle much beyond 10-15 yards anyway (was surprised i did so well at 7 yards, so i guess anything is possible). Might see if they are an option to rent though down the road. Haven't read anything on Barettas yet. The one so far that seems to have had good reviews, eats up anything you put through it and seems to be fairly accurate is the Smith & Wesson M&P22. Plus S&W supports us lefties. :). I can operate the controls on a standard pistol by switching hands, so the ambidextrous controls isn't necessarily a killer. I may consider trying some shooting with my right hand sometime in the future ( did some dry fires in class with my grip switched, so it is a possibility).

Cute is not a priority for me (I have a cute car, but don't want a cute gun). :)

Thanks again everybody. I'll post when my first purchase happens (as well as what guns I have tried). Still waiting on the state. Tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc....

redhologram
July 5, 2013, 02:26 PM
Jen,
I'm a lefty and I switched over to shooting RH, left eye dominant just to make life in the gun world easier on me. It really wasn't hard to do. The advantage to it, I have found, is I don't have a weak side now when doing strong hand / weak hand shooting drills.
And I am with you, I want cute shoes and blouses, NOT a cute gun. I want my guns to fit my needs.
Good luck with your decision!!! :)

Jen-from-IL
July 5, 2013, 02:31 PM
Jen,
I'm a lefty and I switched over to shooting RH, left eye dominant just to make life in the gun world easier on me. It really wasn't hard to do. The advantage to it, I have found, is I don't have a weak side now when doing strong hand / weak hand shooting drills.
And I am with you, I want cute shoes and blouses, NOT a cute gun. I want my guns to fit my needs.
Good luck with your decision!!! :)

Right eye dominant, so guess it could be interesting shooting right handed. That's for the future. Now, just need to get to where I can get practicing in.

Pilot
July 5, 2013, 02:33 PM
I have four Ruger MK II's, a CZ Kadet Kit that I use on my 75B, and PCR, and a Benelli MP95E dedicated target pistol. For the money, it is hard to beat the Rugers for sure. Great guns. Get a used MK II.

BigMike349
July 5, 2013, 02:49 PM
Maybe not what you are looking for but tactical solutions makes great conversion kits for either a 1911 or glock to .22. If after testing some handguns, you liked the 1911 or glock enough you could buy it with a conversion kit so you could have a dual purpose gun. 22 for practice and a harder hitting caliber for concealed carry. Gunblast.com has an informative review of the tactical solutions conversion kits.

SIGSHR
July 5, 2013, 02:56 PM
I am a firm believer in conversion units-CZ Kadet, Ciener if you can find them.

Aguila Blanca
July 5, 2013, 04:34 PM
I've heard about the Mosquito (friend has one but hasn't done much shooting with it yet, so i don't know her experience thus far) and that one is off my list, mostly because I could see an issue with it being comfortable in my hands.
But have YOU actually shot the Mosquito much? If not, you don't really know if it's going to be comfortable for you to shoot or not.

Since your opening post suggests that you are currently looking for a .22 as a stepping stone to a "serious" pistol in the intermediate future, my view is that it would make sense to avoid pistols that are so unique that the shooting experience won't closely translate into a bigger caliber pistol. That eliminates, for example, the Browning Buckmark. It's a fine pistol -- but shooting it isn't like shooting any centerfire pistol. To a lesser degree, that same criticism applies to the Ruger Mark III and Ruger 22/45. I own a Ruger 22/45 -- and I almost never shoot it, because even though the angle of the grip supposedly echos that of the 1911 (which is what I carry for self-defense), nothing else about the 22/45 is even remotely similar to a 1911. So I prefer to shoot a 1911 set up with a .22LR conversion slide assembly.

This is similar to the CZ Cadet that someone mentioned above. The Cadet is exactly like shooting a "real" CZ 75B, and can be bought as a conversion assembly for a centerfire CZ 75B. The SIG Mosquito is a rimfire clone of one of their centerfire pistol models (sorry, I don't recall which). I know early Mosquitoes had some functional issues, but my understanding is that those have been corrected. I don't have large hands and I find SIGs to be comfortable, so I'm surprised to see you write that you have an issue with it.

I have a friendly acquaintance in the shop at the range where I shoot who is VERY into .22LR pistols. Both he and his daughter carry Walther P22s -- for self-defense. While it wouldn't be MY first (or second, or third) choice for a self-defense pistol, it's a good gun and worth a look.

Jen-from-IL
July 5, 2013, 05:05 PM
But have YOU actually shot the Mosquito much? If not, you don't really know if it's going to be comfortable for you to shoot or not.

Since your opening post suggests that you are currently looking for a .22 as a stepping stone to a "serious" pistol in the intermediate future, my view is that it would make sense to avoid pistols that are so unique that the shooting experience won't closely translate into a bigger caliber pistol. That eliminates, for example, the Browning Buckmark. It's a fine pistol -- but shooting it isn't like shooting any centerfire pistol. To a lesser degree, that same criticism applies to the Ruger Mark III and Ruger 22/45. I own a Ruger 22/45 -- and I almost never shoot it, because even though the angle of the grip supposedly echos that of the 1911 (which is what I carry for self-defense), nothing else about the 22/45 is even remotely similar to a 1911. So I prefer to shoot a 1911 set up with a .22LR conversion slide assembly.

This is similar to the CZ Cadet that someone mentioned above. The Cadet is exactly like shooting a "real" CZ 75B, and can be bought as a conversion assembly for a centerfire CZ 75B. The SIG Mosquito is a rimfire clone of one of their centerfire pistol models (sorry, I don't recall which). I know early Mosquitoes had some functional issues, but my understanding is that those have been corrected. I don't have large hands and I find SIGs to be comfortable, so I'm surprised to see you write that you have an issue with it.

I have a friendly acquaintance in the shop at the range where I shoot who is VERY into .22LR pistols. Both he and his daughter carry Walther P22s -- for self-defense. While it wouldn't be MY first (or second, or third) choice for a self-defense pistol, it's a good gun and worth a look.

The Mosquito is I believe a 'mini P226', about 90% of the size and of course not a 9mm. I have never touched it so I cannot say for certain it wouldn't work. You are correct there. However, my friend has much smaller hands than I do and it's comfortable for her (maybe i misstated in an earlier reply but my hands are larger than most women's). I do admit I will have to actually hold it before I could say it wouldn't work because of size.

So far, from a review standpoint, the M&P22 is looking to be one I definitely want to try out first (if possible). My personal defense class is in two weeks, so that will be my next opportunity to shoot. No idea what the options will be, so it could be interesting.

Aguila Blanca
July 5, 2013, 07:35 PM
Jen, there's a lot more to making a gun feel comfortable in your hand than raw size. And it can be very subjective.

I'm a guy. I'm 6'-1" tall and currently tip the scales at about 240 (oof!). But my hands are not especially large for a male -- in high school, I was one of the only guys on the basketball team who could NOT palm a basketball (that's placing your hand on top, wrapping your fingers around it, and picking it up).

Fast forward to today. I carry and shoot mostly 1911s, in both single stack and Para-Ordnance double stack varieties. I don't sense much difference at all between the single stack and the double stack -- both are comfortable and I shoot both reasonably well. I have a friend in another state, also a 1911 aficionado, whom I visit once or twice a year to go shooting with. He is shorter and more slender than I am, and his hands are about the same size. He absolutely hates my Para-Ordnance double stacks. To him, they feel very different from the single stacks and he just can't shoot the double stack pistols well at all.

Don't dismiss anything until you have tried it, and don't buy anything until you have tried it.

Jen-from-IL
July 5, 2013, 09:56 PM
I appreciate your feedback. I'm still learning. :)

PzGren
July 5, 2013, 10:12 PM
There are many time-proven rimfire handguns out there that will fill your bill and serve for inexpensive practice.

While you are waiting on the FOID, use the time and get familiar with the basics of marksmanship. Practicing right brings better results:D.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

T.Stahl
July 6, 2013, 06:17 AM
As you want to buy a 'practice-gun' and not a 'fun-gun' or 'plinker', why not look at it from the perspective of what you want to practice?

I understand that you are looking for a gun in .22lr that will allow you to inexpensively practice for the use of your full-caliber handgun. So the small-caliber-gun will be a supplement to your full-caliber-gun. They therefore should share as many aspects as possible, mainly the ergonomics*, the placement of operating elements (safety, mag-release) and maybe even outer dimensions to allow the common use of other equipment (holsters, mag-pouches).

The combination of an M&P9 and M&P22 is a good example.

--------
*) Not like a guy in our club who was issued a HK P8 and privately owned a HK USP9f - reverse directions for activating/deactivating the safety!

kcub
July 6, 2013, 07:45 AM
I am a lefty and I disagree with the S&W solution.

M&P22 accuracy is poor for any .22 handgun per reviews; moreover, its trigger is not the same as its centerfire counterpart.

Homing in on S&W just because it has a .22 counterpart is too limiting. You should determine what the centerfire you want is and maybe look for a suitable .22 counterpart (or determine there is none suitable).

My suggestion is to define your end goal and then define the best path to get there. Define what your ultimate goal is. Do you want a gun that will be suitable for home and concealed carry? Or will this be 2 different guns? How would you be carrying it? Will the gun you are considering be suitable or too heavy or too big for this role?

If you are unsure, rent and try as many as you can. Rent a .22 until you are comfortable enough to try 9mm. Then try as many 9's as you can rent. Try all action types (DA/SA, DAO, SAO, Glock) so that you will know what you like and what you don't like. At this point you will have much more knowledge with which to make a better decision.

Jen-from-IL
July 21, 2013, 05:55 PM
I took a Personal Protection on the Home class yesterday and its possible that my tune has changed in regards to what my first gun may be. I spent all afternoon shooting a 9mm Glock and while I did shoot well with it, I didn't find it a good fit for me. Beside the lack of ambidextrous controls (I did ok finding other ways to manipulate the slide and mag releases), I just didn't really like how it felt. As at as the recoil though, it was very manageable and I didn't feel like I was overwhelmed by it. One handed shooting was a disaster, but I think that was really a hurrying issue.

So, now I'm thinking a out going with a 9mm when the time comes. Appears that Smith & Wesson, FNH and Springfield all have full ambidextrous controls. Still no idea really what I'll get but just opening up my options based on yesterday's shooting.

Ibmikey
July 22, 2013, 07:21 AM
M&P 22 .... It is super fun in a full size package.

Pilot
July 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
So, now I'm thinking a out going with a 9mm when the time comes.

A 9MM is a good all around choice for self defense. Some 9MM platforms have .22 conversion kits available like the excellent CZ Kadet Kit that fits on all CZ-75 based platforms. If you are not going to carry it, a full size CZ-75B, or SP-01 plus the Kadet Kit would be an excellent combo. CZ also makes an ambi controlled 85B (similar to 75B, just ambi).

Skans
July 22, 2013, 07:58 AM
My thoughts? If I lived in Ill, I'd skip the .22 and get something that can be used for self defense: .380, 38, 357, 9mm, 40 or .45 - your choice, all of these can be decent self-defense rounds. You have just entered into a rare window of opportunity. Think of it as "the Illinois twilight zone". It could shut on you quickly. So, either buy a .22 and a defensive gun at the same time (if you can in Ill) or skip the .22 and buy a gun you think you will want to use for self defense. If the window does stay open, then you can always go back and buy the .22.

Follow-up: I see that you are considering 9mm. Great caliber. The next two things you need to consider are: (1) How big - i.e. will you be carrying it; or using it for home defense and range shooting; and (2) what kind of trigger do you like: Double action only, Single Action only, or Double action on first shot and then single action. After you have this figured out, then figure out how much you have budgeted for the gun. This will greatly narrow down your choices.

Jen-from-IL
July 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
Pilot, no carrying for a while (since the first CCW permits in Illinois won't be approved until first quarter of next year).

I think I've pretty much decided to skip the ,22 route. I just feel that I can handle the recoil of a 9mm. Of course that opens up a whole lot more options for my already overwhelmed brain. Maybe it's a good thing I need ambidextrous controls. :)

Fixed Sight Training
July 22, 2013, 10:11 AM
Since you can find ammo right now for a 9mm that may be a good choice. Eventually a 22 can be added as it will pay for itself in no time. 4 cents per round as opposed to 30 or so for the 9mm.

The ruger SR22 is a combat style as opposed to the target style buck mark and mk 2 or 3. The target guns are fun to shoot but for the most part no holsters and no quick reloads.

The SR22 is more reliable than the mosquito or p22, is ambidextrous, comes with two different size grips and comes with 2 mags, the others come with one.

I really like the 22 conversions, I have them for my 1911 edc, EAA Witness 9mm and AR15. You can use your every day carry holster, trigger, controls etc. They can be a little finicky but who cares, it's a good idea to practice malfunction drills, too.

Also, 22s are the cure for a flinch.

campbed
July 22, 2013, 10:33 AM
Might I suggest (unless I missed it in the previous posts...) a different approach to accomplish your goal.

If you want something with a path upward toward a home defense application, then I suggest thinking about a full size pistol that has an available caliber conversion kit.

The plus is you get the best of both worlds, cheap 22LR for practice and plinking, AND with a quick 30 second swap, with the same platform/frame/trigger you are now shooting a full sized round (9mm/40/45, etc).

For me this is working VERY well. I have a SIG Sauer P226 MK25 9mm, and I then bought the SIG 22LR Conversion kit for it.

Each trip to the range I start off with 100 rds of 22LR to practice and warm up, then swap the barrel and slide to the 9mm, and practice with my defensive rounds.

Something to think about anyway.

p.s. Ruger v Browning 22LR: both excellent shooters! BUT. Have someone who has a Ruger walk you through field striping and cleaning one before you purchase one. I don't think anyone would argue that it is easy. Browning shoots just as well, and is easy to maintain and clean.

Newbie62
July 22, 2013, 07:21 PM
You mention in your posts you would like to have something similar to your end platform. I assume that would be a SA/DA semi auto. I would advise you to not discount the Mosquito so quickly. Mine has a few hundred mini mags thru it, but the bulk has been anything but mini mags. Federal game shok, Remington yellow jackets and goldens, some American eagle, a few thunderbolts and some Winchester. The jacketed stuff all works great, lead heads need to be dent free to run reliably. I hit those with a shot of rem oil first. The fail to feed, fire or eject has been minimal, maybe 1 or 2 in a 300-500 round outing. Cleaning is a snap, swap the spring and shoot either standard velocity oh high/ hyper. The platform mimics full or near full size form and function. My trigger has improved with use. 18 yards from a bench rest will net you 1.5" groups, 4" free holding for me so far. Not a bad thing to say about mine, other than not enough time to shoot it!

Jen-from-IL
July 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
You mention in your posts you would like to have something similar to your end platform. I assume that would be a SA/DA semi auto. I would advise you to not discount the Mosquito so quickly. Mine has a few hundred mini mags thru it, but the bulk has been anything but mini mags. Federal game shok, Remington yellow jackets and goldens, some American eagle, a few thunderbolts and some Winchester. The jacketed stuff all works great, lead heads need to be dent free to run reliably. I hit those with a shot of rem oil first. The fail to feed, fire or eject has been minimal, maybe 1 or 2 in a 300-500 round outing. Cleaning is a snap, swap the spring and shoot either standard velocity oh high/ hyper. The platform mimics full or near full size form and function. My trigger has improved with use. 18 yards from a bench rest will net you 1.5" groups, 4" free holding for me so far. Not a bad thing to say about mine, other than not enough time to shoot it!

Spending a day with a full size 9mm pretty much told me that full size is the way I'm going. Remember, this is not going to be a concealed carry gun. I want something that will fit comfortably in my hand and not kick like a mule.:) I pretty much have tossed out the .22 idea for now. I felt comfortable shooting a 9mm for over 3 hours. I didn't feel like my hands or arms were getting beat up by the recoil. I think I mentioned this previously but ambidextrous controls are a must for me. Trying to work the slide lock and magazine release all day were not much fun (tried using my left hand index finger and also swapping hands after shooting to reload). It worked but is not really the optimum choice for me. Right now, I'm looking at the M&P9 and FNX-9 as possibilities. Both have the ambidextrous controls I need and seem to have some good reviews (sure, YMMV, as always). I have shot a Glock 17 and I believe an M&P9, so hopefully I can try a FNX-9 (not sure if the local range stocks them).

This is my first gun purchase and I'm sure, despite all the research and some rentals, I may end up buying the wrong gun (may end up running into unforeseen issues, etc). It will be a learning experience for me and that's what this is all about. I'm not at the defending myself stage yet; still in the training phase.

I love hearing everyone's experiences with their gun choices and believe me, all of them are being taken into consideration (I had never head of the FNX-9 or the company that manufactures it until yesterday). Hopefully sometime before 2014 I'll be able to share my first gun purchasing experience. :)

redhologram
July 22, 2013, 11:06 PM
I picked up a Springfield PI9134LP 1911 (full size, 9mm) a couple or so weeks ago, it has an ambi safety, only ambi feature it has however, being it's a 1911. I ordered some slimline grips from VZ for it to give it a more comfortable grip in my hand.

Also got a FNS 9 about a week or so ago. It does have full ambi everything and handles really well from the one time I've taken it out to the range so far. Only downside to it, for me, is it's a doublestack, and I prefer singlestacks.

The one thing about guns.. You can buy, sell and trade as much as you want. :)

SHE3PDOG
July 22, 2013, 11:15 PM
I just shot my M&P22 for the first time last weekend. It may not be the most accurate pistol, but it was certainly accurate enough for plinking at variable distances. I found it enjoyable to shoot. Overall, I can't imagine you being too terribly uunhappy with most of the pistols mentioned as long as you take care of them and feed them what they like.

johnwilliamson062
July 23, 2013, 07:50 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390165&highlight=first
Lots of good info in there for both the 22lr and centerfire. I personally recommend one of two general options:
1. If you have shot many centerrfires and know which gun you want, try to get a 22lr copy of that gun. CZ Kadet gets rave reviews and is the only one I would think about recommending if I didn't know about them.
2.Buy a decent Target model pistol. MkIII or Buckmark would be my choices. If I were starting over I would likely go with the Buckmark simply b/c it has a carbine version and I like companion carbines.

Jen-from-IL
July 23, 2013, 09:25 AM
What's interesting and not unexpected, is that the recommendation for a first gun is all over the place. Target style .22s like the Buckmark, .357 revolvers, 9mm semi automatics and so on. As a very new shooter, i have had a grand total of less than 10 hours of shooting experience (.22 semi auto, .38 revolver and 9mm semi auto - about 4 hours with the 9mm). I have read and can understand the reasoning behind all of those options. I have nothing negative to say about any of them. I will however say this: target style pistols are great for target shooting. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in finding a gun that will be my future self defense gun or at least mimic it. I started out feeling that I would not be able to handle a 9mm comfortably yet. This was my reason for looking at a .22. After spending about 3 hours shooting a 9mm and doing as well at the end as I did at the beginning, I have decided that I can handle a 9mm. Sure, ammo is going to be more expensive but from what I hear, you can't find .22 ammo either. I won't be spending every weekend at the range anyway. So really ammo cost isn't much of a concern. What is of concern is adequate controls, the slide lock and magazine release. I'm a lefty. Yep, I'm an oddball. :). Now that that is out of the way, I want ambidextrous controls. I can use standard right handed controls but its awkward and honestly, not going to be very enjoyable. Like gun types, I know people have their favorite brands (just like there is Ford vs. Chevy, there is I'm sure Glock vs. S&W, etc). I have looked at just about every major manufacturer of 9mm I could find and the results seem to be focused on the M&P9 (which I believe I shot in my first gun class) and the FNH FNX-9. Until I try them both, I obviously won't make a decision.

I do appreciate everyone's opinions and recommendations. They have been incredibly helpful in my research. When I am finally allowed by the state to own a gun and I actally purchase on, I'll be sure to post a report. :)

danez71
July 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Jen,

I see that the MP9 is one your list. Im not sure if anyone mentioned it.....

The MP9 has an ambi slide release and the mag release is easily reversible at home.

I have the MP9c and like it a lot. I tried to like the glock 26 (closest comparison and a great gun) but I couldn't.

Mine has the ambi thumb safety too as I wanted it to be as close as possible to my other 9mm; the Browning Hi-Power.

Keep looking... keep evaluating... take your time.

RCTrax05
July 24, 2013, 09:11 PM
One possible .22lr option I haven't seen mentioned is a gun that I have used: The GSG (imported by ATI) 1911 .22 has proven to be a reliable, accurate gun for me so far, and is a perfect "practice" gun, allowing me to avoid burning up 9mm in my Rock Island Armory (ARMSCOR) 1911...

allenomics
July 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
You can't go wrong with Ruger's 22/45 series or its Mark III pistols (a bit more expensive).