PDA

View Full Version : Removing/reattaching suppressor

Rikakiah
June 29, 2013, 11:11 AM
Does frequently removing a suppressor add any excess wear and tear than just an increased risk of cross-threading?

I have an AR-style .22 (HK416) and am in process of getting a suppressor. I'm debating on a carry bag, though. A 42" would hold the gun fine, but a 36" would be less cumbersome (as well as slightly cheaper). However, if I got the more convenient 36", I'd have to remove the suppressor for storage/carry. Thoughts?

tmorone
June 29, 2013, 06:00 PM
I've taken mine off rifles and pistols hundreds of time without issue. As long as you don't cross-thread when putting it back on I can't imagine there would be a problem.

Personally, I'm more afraid of damaging something by transporting WITH the can attached.

Willie Lowman
June 29, 2013, 06:18 PM
I will second that. The only time I transport any of my guns with the suppressor mounted is when they are in a hard shell case. Even then I check to make sure they didn't loosen when in transit.

Also, it is a good idea to remove suppressors after shooting (once they are cool enough to handle) or the carbon fowling might "weld" them to the muzzle.

1DrnkMxR
June 30, 2013, 08:04 AM
I've never had a problem with cross threading. I guess i'm really careful when I start to thread it on.

Rikakiah
June 30, 2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks. Nice point about transport damage with it attached. I'd be removing it anyway to clean after each shooting session, especially since it's a .22.

And I'm really careful with my toys, so I'm not particularly concerned I'll cross-thread it.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

weblance
June 30, 2013, 09:47 AM
I keep the threads wet with RemOil. It makes it much easier to thread on. I had a couple times when the threads were really dry, and I didnt like the way it felt when starting the thread. A light oil just makes it go much easier.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 30, 2013, 02:39 PM
No cross thread, no cry.