PDA

View Full Version : Reflex Sights

Hunter Customs
June 16, 2013, 03:30 PM
I do quite a few low mount applications on 1911's using the smaller reflex sights being manufactured today.

I'm often ask which sights I recommend.
I've used the old Tasco Optima, the Doctor and the Leupold sight.
I've always favored the Doctor because of its metal case and glass lens.

I have a gun in the shop now with a Burris Fast Fire.
I do like the looks and feel of the sight, it appears to have a metal case which is a plus for longevity in my opinion.

The Burris also has an on/off switch which may or may not be a good thing.
I like the ideal of being able to turn the dot off without having to place the cover on the sight to do so.
However while racking the slide I did accidently bump the switch turning the dot off.

For those wishing to do a low mount application on a 1911 this just might be another small reflex sight to consider.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Olympus
June 16, 2013, 10:17 PM
What is your experience with slide-mounted reflex sights on a 10mm 1911?

Hunter Customs
June 17, 2013, 07:24 AM
What is your experience with slide-mounted reflex sights on a 10mm 1911?

I've never slide mounted a reflex sight on a 10mm, sorry I can't really help much there.

When I low mount a reflex sight on a 1911 slide I mill a pocket in the slide that gives support to the front and rear of the sight.
This takes some of the stress off of the mounting screws that attach the sight to the slide.

That being said I'm not sure what the longevity of the sight itself would be with the forces of the 10mm slide.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

NoSecondBest
June 17, 2013, 08:10 AM
Bob Hunter,
I've been using all types and brands of dot sights for over twenty years in both competition and for hunting. I recently purchased a Burris Fast Fire 3 for a Winchester 1886 lever gun in 45-70 and mounted it on a Turnbull mount. I was so impressed with it I bought another one and put it on a relatively new Ruger SBH. This sight is taking a pounding and never losing zero. FYI, the Fast Fire has an automatic shut off switch that will turn the sight off it it hasn't detected movement after a while. I'm too lazy to go dig out the paperwork but I know it works since I left it on a couple of times and checked it later in the day and it was off. So far I haven't had any accidental shutoffs. I've actually found the on/off switch to require a rather hard push with the edge of my fingernail. I currently use Leupold, Gilmore (old but still working), Tasco, Aim Point, Doctor, and I believe I have a couple of Bushnell's still on a few guns. I'd give the Burris some high marks and they are priced right on top of everything else.

Hunter Customs
June 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
NoSecondBest,

Thanks for your info and input on the Burris sight.
I do like the sight and the way it's built.

The off on switch of the Burris sight on the gun in my shop does not seem to require much effort to move to the on or off position.
The sight being wider then the slide made it easy for me to accidently engage the switch while grasping the rear cocking serrations of the slide.

This is something I need to point out to customers that may be interested in having the sight low mounted on a 1911 slide.

Even though this may or may not be a concern, the Burris sight is still one I'll add to my recommendation list.

Thanks again for your contribution of info to this thread.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hammerhead
June 18, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hunter, I think you must have the Fastfire II which has an on/off slide switch on the side. The Fastfire III has rubber covered button that must be pushed in to turn it on or switch from manual mode to auto.
The windage and elevation screws are also much improved on the FF III, plus there is more adjustment range. The FF III also comes with a see through hood that is nice.

Hunter Customs
June 18, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hammerhead,

Thank you for your info.
Yes the off/on switch on the Burris sight in the shop is a slide type on the side of the sight.
I have no paper work on the sight, all I received was the gun and the sight.
I'll try and check out the Fastfire III.
Thanks again.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Aguila Blanca
June 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
I am simply amazed and astonished that these sights actually survive the pounding they get from the recoil of every shot. Yeah, yeah, "solid state" and all that -- I'm still amazed.

Hunter Customs
June 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
I am simply amazed and astonished that these sights actually survive the pounding they get from the recoil of every shot. Yeah, yeah, "solid state" and all that -- I'm still amazed.

Aquila Blanca

I had concerns about the longevity of the sights when I was first contacted about doing the low mount application.

To my knowledge as of to date I only know of one gentleman that had any problem.
It was with the sight body cracking around the mounting screws on a Tasco Optima.

The sight body on the Tasco was plastic.
Thru the gentleman's own admission he thought he over tightened the mounting screws and cracked the sight body at that time.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Ole 5 hole group
June 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have a couple Leupold DeltaPoint's and an Aimpoint T-1 micro and they have held up to the recoil of 454's to a 500 Smith without a single problem.

Sure, someone will purchase a lemon every now and then but it's rather rare these days - but some of the older models out there have reported a few problems in the past.

I have a DeltaPoint mounted on a 1911 milled frame and it has held up fine over the past 2 years and is used on a weekly basis throughout the year.

Hammerhead
June 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
^^^ Sweet setup with the BUIS and the Deltapoint.
I like my Fastfire III, but only on my Mark II. For more serious guns I would want either a Trijicon RMR or an Aimpoint T-1.
I'm not real thrilled with the brightness adjustments on the FF III,

Hunter Customs
June 22, 2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.huntercustoms.com/images/mvc-013f-7-16-2010.jpg

Here's a picture of a low mount Doctor on a gun I built.
The low mount works great, it puts the red-dot closer to the centerline of the bore.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com