PDA

View Full Version : Colibri and Super Colibri ammo on a semi auto rifle

40frog
May 19, 2013, 08:45 AM
Ok so not knowing any better and apparently not reading the description very well, I bought some Colibri and Super Colibri ammo for my new mossberg 702 plinkster. After all was said and done I discovered that that ammo is not really meant to be used on rifles. I googled up about it and some people say they use it and have no problems, others dont and I dont know what to do. I cant cancel the order so now I have a bunch of that stuff coming my way and I'm unsure if I can use it or not.

If I can't is this mostly just better used with a .22 handgun? revolver? Trying to figure out what I should do with it or should I just try to resell it?

Any body here used it on a semi auto rifle?

Fishbed77
May 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
Colibri and Super Colibri will not cycle a semi-auto rifle or semi-auto pistol.

40frog
May 19, 2013, 05:10 PM
so then they can only be shot on a revolver???

hodaka
May 19, 2013, 05:25 PM
I have an old Stevens bolt gun with a pretty long barrel and they are hell on grackles. All have made it out of the end so far.

ttarp
May 19, 2013, 08:52 PM
You can shoot them in semiautos, but as stated above they wont cycle the action. I use them occasionally in my .22 pistols, and manually cycle the slide after each shot.

Boomer58cal
May 20, 2013, 12:13 AM
I also have shot them out of my 10/22 by cycling the bold by hand, but they are not recommended for rifle because there may be a chance of the very slow bullet sticking in the barrel. I've shot several hundred out of four different rifles with no issues.

Be safe. Boomer

40frog
May 20, 2013, 07:55 AM
Great, thanks for the info!!! Lesson learned to pay more attention to item descriptions especially as I have never bought most of this stuff before. I'll go ahead and try them our seeing as how the order already says shipped so don't think I can cancel.

Stupid ?. If they get stuck, do I just use like one of those cleaning rods to push it out the other end? Sorry first rifle, still working on getting to know things lol

ohen cepel
May 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
Be careful since BAD things can happen if one is stuck and you shoot again.

If one does get stuck best to use a wood dowl of the same size of the bore to push it out. A metal rod can damage your bore.

40frog
May 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
@ohen - thanks, I will look into that. Yeah I am afraid that since its me, it would get stuck or something bad.

40frog
May 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
Seems like problem solved. I spoke with people at Midway and they said to just refuse the package since it had already shipped and I should be good. So im actually relieved because I didnt want to deal with possibly getting anything stuck and figuring it out.

Chettt
May 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
I would not send it back. You can always sell it or buy a tube fed bolt or lever action rifle.

40frog
May 20, 2013, 09:09 AM
I thought about that but Im going to go buy a whole new rifle just for 1000 rounds of ammo??, didnt seem to make sense and I dont even know where to begin to resell it. I thought if anything just buying a handgun for it.

Boomer58cal
May 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
Yep. If midway said you can refuse the package I'd do it. As long as they're ok with it that's great, but I wouldn't if they're not. I'd hate to be on the ban list of such a great supplier.

Boomer

40frog
May 20, 2013, 11:46 AM
boomer, i was afraid that they would ban me so yes I had thought about that. I gave her my order number so they should have been able to see that it was ammo. I guess I have a few days to think about it. or maybe ill just call to make sure. worst case like a previous op said, ill just keep it for use in the future.

Salmoneye
May 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
Do NOT use Colibris in a rifle...You very well may stick a bullet in the barrel...

Super Colibris have more primer compound, and I have not stuck one in my rifles...Your rifle may be tighter, so make sure each bullet exits before firing again...

I DO use them in a semi-auto, but they will not work the action so I treat them like a straight-pull repeater...

Very accurate for me to 25 yards, and maybe a bit more...

ADDING:

Be VERY careful using a wooden dowel to remove a stuck bullet...If the wood shatters, you are in a world of hurt removing the wood AND the bullet...

Better to use is a brass rod slightly smaller than your bore...

Boomer58cal
May 20, 2013, 12:50 PM
It's my understanding you can't legally return ammo, powder or bullets, but if you don't except the package you're not returning it because you never had it in your possession. Good luck.

Boomer

Oh... I wonder if they'll still charge you shipping if you refuse the package. Please let us know what happens if you send them back.

40frog
May 23, 2013, 02:44 PM
Boomer I went ahead and took delivery, worst case I resell or hang on to the extra box for the future. I will use the one i can on the rifle for the time being.

Boomer58cal
May 23, 2013, 09:24 PM
Be safe! Happy shooting :D

DaleA
May 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
As Salmoneye said you probably don't want to use a wooden dowel because it can really get jammed up.

Here's a thread on the subject and a very nice post by FrankenMauser with a photo.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495224&highlight=stuck