PDA

View Full Version : IWI Tavor SAR Bullpup Rifle Review

Mrgunsngear
May 14, 2013, 06:40 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/751/picture12um.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/1823/img1452hg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7134/img1377zc.jpg

After a long wait, the IWI Tavor has finally ended up on American gun store shelves. I was lucky enough to get one of the first ones a couple months ago and have been putting it through its' paces since. Here's what I've found...

Pros:
-Reliable. 1 malfunction out of roughly 1000 rounds and it may very well have been a bad round (more info in the video below).
-26'' OAL yet still has a 16.5'' barrel. Above you can see it next to my 10.5'' SBR'd AR.
-1/2 x 28 thread pattern so AR muzzle devices and suppressors will work just fine on the rifle.
-Comes with 2 QD attachment points built into the rifle.
-Full 1913 top rail for adding whatever optic you choose.
-Built in flip up iron sights. The front sight has a tritium insert for low light visibility.
-Easy to field strip for maintenance.
-Very easy to swap controls for left hand use. Ejection pattern can also be swapped with a left hand bolt (LH rifles will be coming from the factory soon).
-Caliber conversions for both 5.45x39 and 9mm will be released in the coming months.
-Balances very well as most of the weight is in the rear of the rifle.
-Bolt locks open on the last round.
-CHF chrome lined 1 in 7 5.56 chambered barrel.
-Accepts standard capacity AR mags (some Gen2 PMags may not drop free)
-Very easy mag change procedure.

Cons:
-The recoil spring is pinned in to the bolt carrier assembly so I'm not sure how that would be swapped when the round count gets high enough to justify it (US version only as I understand it).
-Trigger. It has some 'linkage' feel to it like most bullpups do. That said, the break is crisp at just over 9 pounds.
-Cost. These things are tough to find and they're going for over $3k on gunbroker and many small gun shops (and people are paying it!).
-Mounting a light on the rail system is awkward unless you're using a pressure switch.
-Not a lot of Tavor specific accessories available currently. We're pretty much limited to adapting/using accessories designed for use on an AR for this rifle so the side/top rail space can get full really quickly.
-Fixed LOP stock. That said, it is comfortable for me in most positions (6'0'' for reference)
-Many folks like to run their rifles with their hand far out toward the muzzle for better control---for them the compactness of the rifle may hinder their weapons handling/control capabilities.

All in all the Tavor has a some of the downsides inherent to the platform but less than probably any bullpup I've seen/owned/handled to date. They're a little on the pricy side but if you're looking for a gun that will be used in a CQB role, this is one that I'd take a hard look at. I really like it thus far and the more time I have behind it the more I like it (I think much of that is due to gaining familiarity with the controls and confidence in manipulating the weapon).

If I could go back in time I'd absolutely buy this rifle again so I guess that's really the ultimate complement.

Here's a video with some shooting, a quick accuracy 'test' (wind and Wolf ammo...), a demonstration of how to manipulate the controls of the rifle, a quick disassembly/assembly, and a discussion of the pros/cons of the rifle.

Tavor HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqxsbu0VIU)

loose_holster_dan
May 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
jealous.
i love bullpups.

Patriot86
May 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
I agree I want one but not going to be paying 3K for one. Maybe I will pick one up gently used in a few months, but if I am spending 3K on a rifle its going to be a SCAR or a H&K 416 variant.

Dr Big Bird PhD
May 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
Don't think I'll be ever able to own one in my state, but I think bullpups are the best compromise for people such as myself who prefer to use rifles instead of handguns or shotguns for HD.

Patriot86
May 16, 2013, 12:49 PM
Does California have an overall length requirment? I don't quite know the inns and outs of your State AWB. You could perm attach the flash hider. I would assume it takes a 10 round magazine and it doesn't technically have a pistol grip.

Dr Big Bird PhD
May 16, 2013, 03:22 PM
Does California have an overall length requirment? I don't quite know the inns and outs of your State AWB. You could perm attach the flash hider. I would assume it takes a 10 round magazine and it doesn't technically have a pistol grip.
The pistol grip would be a REALLY hard sale. But even if we could pull it off, it is technically an "Assault Weapon" if the OAL is <30 inches.

Ajtozzi
May 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
We sold about a half dozen of them for $2199. I shot the owners - it's really cool but the trigger is very mechanical feeling and kind of heavy.

Mrgunsngear
May 16, 2013, 07:01 PM
I agree I want one but not going to be paying 3K for one. Maybe I will pick one up gently used in a few months, but if I am spending 3K on a rifle its going to be a SCAR or a H&K 416 variant.

It would be a tough pill to swallow. Crazy thing is I think once the 9mm kits hit the market (supposedly a couple months) and the 5.45 kits arrive (supposedly by the end of 2013) the popularity of these may actually go up :eek: so the price will remain relatively high.

I hope I'm wrong, but....

Justice06RR
May 16, 2013, 08:00 PM
Sweet rifle. But $3k pricetag :eek:

Congrats.

5.56RifleGuy
May 16, 2013, 08:08 PM
When stuff settles down they wont be 3k. I got mine for msrp.

Patriot86
May 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
I want one bad but I am still going to wait until the "New" craze wears off and pick up a gently used one for hopefully $1500 or 1600. It will happen, might take a year or two but it will.

DasGuy
May 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
I want one.

ThatBeardedGuy
May 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
I keep hearing nothing but good things about this rifle. Definitely picking one up.

ThatBeardedGuy
May 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
I do have a question though. Coming from the AR, I wanted to ask if you figured out a good system for reloading the bullpup. Did you need to unsocket the rifle from your shoulder and cant it to reload?

Mrgunsngear
May 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
I do have a question though. Coming from the AR, I wanted to ask if you figured out a good system for reloading the bullpup. Did you need to unsocket the rifle from your shoulder and cant it to reload?

I don't. In fact, I think that with practice reloads on the Tavor can certainly be faster than the AR. If you watch the video (link above) you'll see me change mags several times.

5.56RifleGuy
May 18, 2013, 11:23 AM
The placement of the bolt and mag release helps a lot too.

ThatBeardedGuy
May 18, 2013, 07:27 PM
Right, I finally loaded up the video and saw your process for reloading. Loading videos in Afghanistan is a several-hour exercise sometimes. Thanks for the reply.

ThatBeardedGuy
May 18, 2013, 07:49 PM
At any rate, watching you run the rifle definitely assures me that it'll be well-worth the price. A coworker of mine bought one but hasn't gotten to shoot it yet, and we've got another one who's looking at it to fill the CQB role his SCAR 17S is a little long for.

Mrgunsngear
May 18, 2013, 09:29 PM
At any rate, watching you run the rifle definitely assures me that it'll be well-worth the price. A coworker of mine bought one but hasn't gotten to shoot it yet, and we've got another one who's looking at it to fill the CQB role his SCAR 17S is a little long for.

It would certainly be much better in CQB scenarios than a 17S; even with the NFA barrels...

4V50 Gary
May 18, 2013, 10:14 PM
At $3k I'll pass.

ThatBeardedGuy
May 19, 2013, 07:13 AM
It would certainly be much better in CQB scenarios than a 17S; even with the NFA barrels...

That seems to be his viewpoint. He enjoys the 17S, but it's a lot of gun for pieing a corner. The Tavor SAR manages to work a mid-length barrel into a something shorter even than your average "carbine".

I look forward to picking mine up when I get home, and I'm in a place where I can afford the somewhat inflated price to get one.

That said, I think the prices will stay level. Through all of this mess, prices on bullpup rifles have stayed more constant and reasonable than they have on traditional designs like the AR or the SCAR. I think it's partly that a lot of American shooters are going to look at this rifle like it's a plastic toy, and putting the magazine and receiver group behind the trigger is something very few American gun companies experiment with (the Kel-Tec RFB comes to mind as an example).

However, I think a lot of Americans also understand that Israel can't afford to field a weapon system that sucks. The Israelis know that anything they put into military supply chains is going to be used pretty much immediately, and the Tavor is combat-proven in a country that's always in combat.

Spats McGee
May 19, 2013, 08:27 AM
We sold about a half dozen of them for $2199. I shot the owners - it's really cool but the trigger is very mechanical feeling and kind of heavy.
Dude! If shooting customers is SOP in your store, I am SOOOO not shopping there. :p

Seriously, though, I'm not a huge fan of bullpups, that may well be related to my never having shot one.

loose_holster_dan
May 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Seriously, though, I'm not a huge fan of bullpups, that may well be related to my never having shot one.

you don't have to shoot it to realize you'll love it. just shoulder it and swing it around (unloaded hopefully). it just feels so right. unfortunately, shooting it does take some of the perfection away, since most have a 9lb trigger. that can be fixed on some bullpups tho. my msar gets right around 5lbs with the htm hybrid trigger from rat worx installed.

btw - how do you get that formatting for your quoted text?

Spats McGee
May 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
TBH, I'm not even sure I've ever seen anything in a bullpup configuration around here. If I see one at a gun show, I'll take a minute to handle it.

RangerHAAF
May 29, 2013, 09:15 PM
What about MOA at 100 yards? Was that mentioned?

sailskidrive
May 29, 2013, 09:51 PM
Okay, I got to shoot one this weekend. The gun feels a little like its made by Playskool but on thr plus side the ergonomics aren't bad. I have a rather large frame and had to really wing it with my right arm and probably could have benefitted from a deep recoil pad to add some length. The barrel axis seemed pretty low and there wasn't much muzzle rise.

Overall it was a blast to shoot but the trigger is very heavy. I understand the IDF spends a lot of time excising restraint and a heavy trigger probably adverts a lot of incidents, but at 9lbs I felt it was ridiculous. When you pull the trigger it feels like you're moving an 8 inching connecting bar, probably be you are. :rolleyes:

If these were in the $1250 price I would probably pick one up, but not the $2200 they're running in the local shops. These will actually be banned here in Maryland as of October first because of their overall length being too short.

Mrgunsngear
May 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
When you pull the trigger it feels like you're moving an 8 inching connecting bar, probably be you are.

You're not. :D

There's a few trigger springs in the trigger pack that create probably 8 of the 9lbs of pull. Lots of folks have just pulled a few off to lighten it up to around 3-5lbs but I haven't as I don't think that's worth a possible light strike; but that's just me.

sailskidrive
May 31, 2013, 08:36 AM
That's interesting, I'd love to "strip her down" and have a look. ;)

PP99
November 8, 2013, 08:34 AM
Tavor's trigger springsā€¦
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dizuRNL0HIs

tahunua001
November 8, 2013, 11:38 AM
great writeup, 9 pounds with some linkage sounds about like my bullpupped mosin nagant, not something I would want to take into battle at all, I'll take a six pound non-linked trigger anyday but everything in life is a tradeoff, you can have short and maneuverable or you can have easier to shoot accurately not both.

so for those of us with limited bullpup experience. how would you compare the IWI tavor to say, an FN Herstal FS2000 as far as trigger, accuracy, controls, ease of maintenance, ergos, and overall quality?

DubC-Hicks
November 8, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to decide between the Tavor and a Steyr AUG A3 right now. Have any experience with the AUG, plouffedaddy?

Mrgunsngear
November 8, 2013, 02:23 PM
so for those of us with limited bullpup experience. how would you compare the IWI tavor to say, an FN Herstal FS2000 as far as trigger, accuracy, controls, ease of maintenance, ergos, and overall quality?

To me the ergos are much better with the Tavor than the FS2000. I actually prefer the FS2000 trigger though to both the AUG and Tavor.

FN makes high quality guns and they're probably both on par in terms of quality.

I'm trying to decide between the Tavor and a Steyr AUG A3 right now. Have any experience with the AUG, plouffedaddy?

Yes. I prefer the Tavor. To me it's just a better package overall.

The accessory market is heating up for both the Tavor and AUG though which is nice.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/397/tgsv.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/205/2ufk.jpg

tahunua001
November 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
I don't get it... what's with the wig in the first pic?;)

DubC-Hicks
November 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
Plouffedaddy, what brands of magazines have you used in the Tavor? I heard some rifles (particularly the early ones) have had problems with Gen 2 Pmags and various polymer mags. Do you know anything about that?

Boomer58cal
November 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
I haven't noticed anyone mention you can also get the Tavor in .308. That's the one I get. The one I played with would easily hit torso size targets at 500 & 600 yards with a 3-12x42 nikon on it. Not bad for a pup.

Boomer

Stevie-Ray
November 10, 2013, 07:47 PM
We sold about a half dozen of them for $2199. I shot the owners - it's really cool but the trigger is very mechanical feeling and kind of heavy. Rather extreme way to keep them in inventory, dontcha think?:D

5.56RifleGuy
November 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
"I haven't noticed anyone mention you can also get the Tavor in .308. That's the one I get. The one I played with would easily hit torso size targets at 500 & 600 yards with a 3-12x42 nikon on it. Not bad for a pup."

Since when? Id heard there was one in developement but its not out yet. Where did you get to shoot it? Are you sure it wasnt a Keltec RFB?

sigp226wgerman
November 10, 2013, 08:39 PM
My LGS has one for $1899.

Venom1956
November 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
I haven't noticed anyone mention you can also get the Tavor in .308

No the Tavor is 5.56 with conversions for 5.45 and 9mm.

HKFan9
November 10, 2013, 09:59 PM
2k is more the going rate, if people are asking 3K they are gouging really.

Buddy I set up with my other friend who is a local shop owner was able to pick one up NIB from the local shop for $1750, that was what they are going to be priced on the shelf, no special deal.

I have shot it a few times... initially I wanted one, after shooting it, now I do not. Same goes for the PS90 when that came out. Both great concepts... the ergo's are not for me however.

jonnyc
January 4, 2014, 12:59 PM
Was just looking through some old pics and found this one of me examining an early version of the Tavor. I was visiting a curator-friend of the IDF Museum, in 2001.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r46/jonnycpics/DSCN3739_zpsc77382eb.jpg

Stevie-Ray
January 7, 2014, 07:09 PM
Looks like a FAMAS.

ThatBeardedGuy
January 15, 2014, 12:08 PM
Bought mine back in October. Love it. Shoots great, handles great.