PDA

View Full Version : AR-308 Scope Mounting

Alabama Shooter
May 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
I am getting more into long range shooting lately.

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 Matte Mil Dot Argon Rifle scope which I am mounting on my AR-10 style rifle with Picatinny rail. The rings I have are Burris and for a Weaver rail. I plan on pushing it way, way out there.

Questions:

- Will the Weaver rings give me trouble? I don't want them dancing everywhere.
- Is it better to push them in against the tabs or out against the tabs or some other way?
- I have high mount rings and they seem ok, is there any advantage to ultra high?
- Any pitfalls to avoid?

Other question: Suggestions on an excellent adjustable stock to equip AR-10 style rifle with for long range shooting...

jeepman4804
May 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
I would suggest spending the extra dime on a Bobro extended mount so you have the ability to mount the optic with the correct eye relief for nose to charging handle head position. Not only will it give you the proper eye relief, but it will allow removal and re-installation without loosing zero. You want to keep the scope as low as possible so you can get a consistent cheek weld or it will not have consistent POA-POI. As for a good stock Magpul has a nice selection of adjustable stocks for precision shooting, but they are not cheap at $250 and up...

Alabama Shooter
May 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
I was planning on spending around $300 for new stock so they may be a good option. Do you know of any particular one excels or you would pick or some reason?

It isn't an M4, I don't shoot full power rounds nose on the charging handle it takes too long to recover.

Metal god
May 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
Push the rings foreward up against the tabs .

I agree mount as low as posible

Stock : Magpul PRS
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319210459/magpul-stock-prs-precision-rifle-adjustable-ar-10-dpms-lr-308-synthetic

jeepman4804
May 12, 2013, 12:25 AM
I shoot nose to charging handle on my .308 with full power loads and surplus ammunition with no issue. Not sure what you mean by taking too long to recover. As to what stock, that is up to your personal preference. I like the Magpul PRS, but you should find a place where you can fondle a few different ones to see what you like.

velocette
May 12, 2013, 09:10 PM
Another vote for the Magpul PRS. Expensive, heavy and worth it.

Roger

sailskidrive
May 12, 2013, 09:45 PM
25x is a lot of glass! What type of 308 AR are you mounting this on?

My experience with the PRS stock is that the comb adjustment height isn't really all that useful, even with 1.25" tall rings, due to the inline geometry of the ARs stock. I do enjoy its adjustable LOP, however if your going to use the nose to charging handle technique, having a PRS is pretty pointless. I have a rather larger frame, 6'2", and crunching up like to get my nose that far forward is really awkward.

Alabama Shooter
May 13, 2013, 08:18 AM
25x is a lot of glass! What type of 308 AR are you mounting this on?

My experience with the PRS stock is that the comb adjustment height isn't really all that useful, even with 1.25" tall rings, due to the inline geometry of the ARs stock. I do enjoy its adjustable LOP, however if your going to use the nose to charging handle technique, having a PRS is pretty pointless. I have a rather larger frame, 6'2", and crunching up like to get my nose that far forward is really awkward.

I am larger than that and agree. What comb height adjustment to you recommend?

The rifle is just a plain jane DPMS LR-308. The one I am putting together does shoot 1/2" MOA five round groups at 100 meters though so I am going to see if I can get it to go way, way out there accurately. I have doubts I will ever use it above 20X practically but that is some nice glass. It reads the tags off of utility polls at 300+ meters.

madcratebuilder
May 14, 2013, 06:05 AM
The UBR is a good second option, the PRS adds a lot of weight to a already heavy rifle.

A 20moa raiser is needed for 1k yd shooting.

21" Noveske N6
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/AR10/AR10noveske01.jpg

HiBC
May 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
I suggest a ringmount I do not know about such big glass,but I like the Rock River at about $65.I use the fwd cantilever one.

Alabama Shooter
May 14, 2013, 08:56 AM
I currently have the glass mounted about an 1/2" in front of the charging handle to allow easy operation. I just ordered and extended latch the other day and may move it back. I will take a pic when I get the latch on there and have the scope exactly where I like it.

Nice Noveske BTW. :)

sailskidrive
May 17, 2013, 03:34 PM
The UBR is a good second option, the PRS adds a lot of weight to a already heavy rifle.

A 20moa raiser is needed for 1k yd shooting.

21" Noveske N6

MadCrate,

I think ADM offers a one piece mount w/ a 20 MOA forward cant...

That's a nice rig you have there!