PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a G19

odugrad
May 6, 2013, 12:20 PM
I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 for some time. I have heard that the Gen 4s have had some issues so I'll probably be getting a new Gen 3. Does anyone know of any issues with any of the Gen 3s (early or late models)? It may be a while because money is tight but I was just curious.

*Also, would you trade an XDM 3.8 compact for a G19?

Plumbnut
May 6, 2013, 12:22 PM
My g19 dosn't like weak ammo. FTE

odugrad
May 6, 2013, 12:23 PM
That could be an issue. I use primarily 115 grain ammo. Have had 0 issues with the XDMs.

Tactical Jackalope
May 6, 2013, 01:21 PM
I've used WalMart 115gr in all my 9mm Glock's with no problem, ever.

My 2 Glock 19's, 17, 34, 26, 27 w/ a lonewolf 9mm barrel.

Ignore the hype of the aforementioned. Errornet yields exaggerated results sometimes.

As far as getting the 19. Do it! You won't regret it.

9mmfan
May 6, 2013, 02:25 PM
I rented one just to see what all the fuss was about. Didn't think I liked polymer framed guns. Well, I liked it so much I went to a gun show that very weekend and bought a NIB Gen3. I have been exceptionally pleased with it. No problems with 115 gr. ammo at all. It ended up pulling double duty as carry and nightstand gun. Small enough to conceal easily, big enough to handle.

The only changes I made were to have night sights installed, and the green Scotch-Brite strip sanding of the area where the trigger guard meets the grip.

allaroundhunter
May 6, 2013, 02:57 PM
Yep, you won't regret it... The unfortunate side effect is, you might not like your XD anymore ;)

Also, by now Gen 4s are good to go out of the box and they come with 3 magazines as opposed to the 2 that cone with gen 3's. Would I trade in an XDm 3.8 for one? Without a doubt I would, but I am not much of a fan of XDs in the first place so that might not be a fair question.

Tactical Jackalope
May 6, 2013, 03:05 PM
Yep, you won't regret it... The unfortunate side effect is, you might not like your XD anymore

Also, by now Gen 4s are good to go out of the box and they come with 3 magazines as opposed to the 2 that cone with gen 3's. Would I trade in an XDm 3.8 for one? Without a doubt I would, but I am not much of a fan of XDs in the first place so that might not be a fair question.

Stop reading my mind and then posting it on this forum. You do that way too much. It's freaking me out a little.

lol..The gen 4 I had..I kinda want back. But I'm too in love with my G19 to do that.

OP when you get your Glock 19. Let us know! And pics!

Wreck-n-Crew
May 6, 2013, 05:53 PM
Best Glock model for someone like me. Perfect size (full) yet carry-able. Reliable and accurate.

allaroundhunter
May 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
Best Glock model for someone like me. Perfect size (full) yet carry-able. Reliable and accurate.

Best Glock model for anyone ;)

Arocholl
May 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
I have never had a single problem with my glock 19 gen 4. It has been a trusty workhorse that I trust my life to more days than any other firearm I own.

Kevin_d77
May 6, 2013, 08:24 PM
Why would you downgrade yourself from a XDm to a Glock? Madness.....

Unless of course the Glock came w fiber optic sights and a match grade barrel, then that would make more sense.

WVsig
May 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
The 19 is a good utilitarian gun. A Gen 3 or Gen 4 would serve you well. I personally see no need to swap my Gen 3 for a 4.

There were issues were with late model Gen 3s and early Gen 4s. If you run into a bad gun simply call Glock get a new ejector/extractor swap it out and get back to the range. If you really want to you can even spring for a Apex Tactical setup.... http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-glock-extractor-g-fre-fitting/

Crankgrinder
May 6, 2013, 08:30 PM
I had that same problem. Every time i saw one at a show or a shop i wound up going over to it and picking it up so i finally bought one and got it over with. Downgrade? the xd is a fine pistol i wont argue that point but it has a higher bore axis than a glock and safety features that a glock doesnt have which add to both complexity and weight. Great pistols both of them, but they really are in the same class to me.

whip1
May 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
I bought a Gen 3 G19 in January. I couldn't be happier. Get one.

ScotchMan
May 6, 2013, 08:54 PM
I'd much rather have the XDm

ChaseReynolds
May 6, 2013, 09:02 PM
I just bought the Glock 19 gen 4 and immediately shot two hundred rounds through it as soon as I got the packing grease off of it. I would do it again if I had the chance

Ricklin
May 6, 2013, 09:02 PM
I'm very fond of my Gen 3 G19. It has never malfunctioned through thousands of rounds.
Well except for 1 or 2 that I didn't put any powder in.......DOH!

allaroundhunter
May 6, 2013, 09:41 PM
Why would you downgrade yourself from a XDm to a Glock? Madness.....

Unless of course the Glock came w fiber optic sights and a match grade barrel, then that would make more sense.

Match grade barrel? Doesn't make much of measurable difference (if any). Fiber optic sights? I prefer a single, front night sight on a defensive handgun so that is also a moot point.

Texshooter
May 6, 2013, 10:38 PM
YOU might regret it. No one but YOU can decide that. I think the 2 weapons you mentioned are both pretty decent but I would not make that trade.

Have you shot a G19? Can you afford both?

Just because someone on an internet board proclaims you will not regret it does not make it so.

okiewita40
May 7, 2013, 03:41 AM
I just bought my G19 Gen3 last week. I have used them at my job and have tons of muscle memory with them so I just figured my purchase on that.

I just don't like the idea of a external safety on a ccw weapon and in a high pressure the grip safety on an XD may not be depressed enough. JMHO

Kevin_d77
May 7, 2013, 06:15 AM
I have never once had an issue depressing the grip safety on any of my Springfields. Neither has anyone that I personally know that owns one or anyone that has ever shot mine.

Guess 1911's are a horrible design as well....

Tactical Jackalope
May 7, 2013, 07:47 AM
^ not horrible. Just outdated for duty when they're other better options.

The XD followed that blindly.

allaroundhunter
May 7, 2013, 09:12 AM
I have never once had an issue depressing the grip safety on any of my Springfields. Neither has anyone that I personally know that owns one or anyone that has ever shot mine.

Guess 1911's are a horrible design as well....

The grip safety on the XD is easier to fail to depress than the grip safety on a 1911...

WVsig
May 7, 2013, 09:17 AM
not horrible. Just outdated for duty when they're other better options.

The XD followed that blindly.

No they did not. They put is there intentionally. The Croatians who designed the XD put the grip safety on the gun because the striker on a XD is fully cocked unlike the Glock which IIRC is partially cocked.

geetarman
May 7, 2013, 09:35 AM
^^^^^ I did not know that.

I have both Glocks and an XDM. Thanks for the tip.

allaroundhunter
May 7, 2013, 10:33 AM
No they did not. They put is there intentionally. The Croatians who designed the XD put the grip safety on the gun because the striker on a XD is fully cocked unlike the Glock which IIRC is partially cocked.

You are correct there. The XD is actually designated as a SA, whereas Glocks (and M&Ps for that matter) are DA because when you pull the trigger you are also fully cooking the striker.

odugrad
May 7, 2013, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know where or how to sell a gun? And I have 2 XDMs so I won't be missing out on the XDM. I think it's a great gun and will never part with one. I just want a little variety.

I'll be sure to post some pictures once I get it. I hear a lot about the G19. I was able to hold one the other day and like the ergonomics. How is the trigger compared to the XDM?

Spats McGee
May 7, 2013, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know where or how to sell a gun?
Yes. The exact process will depend on your state laws. With that said, we do have a section called The Gun Show at the bottom of the main forum page. If you've been a member for 30 days with a minimum of 25 meaningful posts, you can post an ad there.

odugrad
May 9, 2013, 06:32 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to know if the gun is late gen 3 or early gen 4? I know some guns manufacturers list a date on the gun case or somewhere.

odugrad
May 9, 2013, 06:40 AM
Also, none of the shops in my area carry the G19 so I'll probably have to get it online. I'm a little leary since I haven't done that yet. Has anyone had any issues doing that? I feel kind of odd purchasing something I haven't seen in person. Is there anything I should look for?

hlds54
May 9, 2013, 06:44 AM
I have a gen 3 and love it. I'd go with a gen 3 one, dont over look used ones.

ChaseReynolds
May 9, 2013, 07:01 AM
I remember when the G19 Gen 4 first came out, people were saying that it would eject brass straight back on to the shooter. I recently bought one like I said in an earlier post on this thread and the day that I got it I shot 200 rounds through it and I don't recall a single round that came straight back on me. I know my model was manufactured last month and maybe Glock fixed it.

I was just wondering what people had experienced or if this was just Glock hate.

Tactical Jackalope
May 9, 2013, 09:43 AM
I remember when the G19 Gen 4 first came out, people were saying that it would eject brass straight back on to the shooter.

That's what mine did..even with the new parts installed and all. Loved the darn thing still. Shot great and felt great. But picked up a G19 gen3 and like it a lot. Don't see a need to get another gen4. I should have had Glock take care of it for me. But since it wasn't an isolated case and it was a big deal with them, I didn't think it would get fixed for some reason. I guess other people would have it sent back to them and they would have the same issue. So didn't wanna waste the time on my main CCW. Just bought the gen3 and called it a day.

allaroundhunter
May 9, 2013, 10:47 AM
Also, none of the shops in my area carry the G19 so I'll probably have to get it online. I'm a little leary since I haven't done that yet. Has anyone had any issues doing that? I feel kind of odd purchasing something I haven't seen in person. Is there anything I should look for?

If you are buying new and from an FFL then there won't be a problem. When it arrives at your FFL inspect it before you complete the transaction and fill out the paperwork because until you finish the yellow sheet it can be sent back. If you buy from Armslist get the guy's FFL info before paying him or her (or set up a face to face if it is a private seller).

Gunbroker is usually good, but prices there are current well over MSRP (and I would not pay over MSRP for a Glock).

Vermonter
May 9, 2013, 01:46 PM
If you are a red blooded american male you will love the Glock :)

I know the above was a little fan boyish of me but still. The Gen 4 should be good to go plus it has the updated RSA in that gun. I am currently carrying a Gen 4 G 26 and it has never thrown brass anywhere near my face.

Between the two I would go Gen 4 as far as the Glocks are concerned.

Between the springfield and ghe Glock well there are 4 Glocks in my home and zero croatian sensations so I suppose that should be a clue.

Spats McGee
May 9, 2013, 01:51 PM
Even if none of the shops in your area have the G19 in stock, can they order one?

odugrad
May 9, 2013, 02:41 PM
They can possibly order one, but their prices are generally pretty high.

If I buy from gunbroker, would I have to pay up front? How does that work? Do I tell them where to ship the gun and then pay the shop it is sent to?

Thanks for the info.

May 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
Sure don't know what would be gained with a G19 compared to the XDm 3.8 Compact. The XDm Compact is the better choice for CC and you only give up .2" of barrel. I'd also recommend that you look at the internals of both pistols, particularly the chamber-block in the XDm at mid-pistol that also incorporates the forward rails that are massive in comparison to any Glock's. The barrel's chamber is completely surrounded by steel with the XDm and not with the Glock. A catastrophic ammo event with 9mm isn't likely, but it's still comforting to me to have the chamber surrounded by steel. As far as the XDm's grip safety, that was included in the design to prevent Glock-Leg events from re-holstering. You'd have to try very hard to screw up a normal grip of the pistol to make the XDm's grip safety malfunction.

Before I would buy a G19, I would look at the Ruger SR9 that has higher mag. capacity and is a good deal thinner making it very practical for CC. Like the XDm, it also has a steel chamber-block that incorporates the forward rails and surrounds the pistol's chamber. Plus the sights are much better and mine is a little tackdriver that easily digests all of my handloads from medium velocity to +P. ;)

LockedBreech
May 9, 2013, 04:57 PM
Bud's has one in stock right now for $619. Bit high, but it's there.

I have wanted a Gen 4 G19 for well over a year. I'm satisfied they've worked the issues out, at this point it's just about saving the money.

There are so many fantastic loads available in 9mm these days. I can think of a half-dozen I'd be comfortable carrying off the top of my head. And the G19 holds a high capacity for how compact it is.

Just a great gun.

Tactical Jackalope
May 9, 2013, 05:16 PM
^^^ nice. OP jump on that asap! Awesome.

:) join the G19 club already.

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 05:34 PM
$619 is totally ridiculous!!!

Here is one for $509

http://www.firearmsforsale.com/glock-pi1950203-g19-standard-9mm-4-02-15-1-w-fs-polymer-grip-matte-black-ffs/

Nittespanker
May 9, 2013, 05:47 PM
619 seems high to me also but your source at 509.00 is not in stock.

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 05:49 PM
It was when I posted it lol. That went quick!

WVsig
May 9, 2013, 06:02 PM
A glock 19 is a $500 gun. Do not pay more than that.

The Verminator
May 9, 2013, 06:39 PM
Gen 3 or Gen 4 you can't go wrong with the Glock 19.

Go for it.

LockedBreech
May 9, 2013, 07:57 PM
A glock 19 is a $500 gun. Do not pay more than that.

Clearly I need to shop around better. I've never seen the Gen 4s under 550 and was used to seeing them at 575 pre-panic.

Wreck-n-Crew
May 9, 2013, 08:45 PM
Clearly I need to shop around better. I've never seen the Gen 4s under 550 and was used to seeing them at 575 pre-panic.
Ditto.

Maybe he's Quoting value rather than price...I don't know but I see used ones are going for $500 up.

Nittespanker
May 9, 2013, 08:48 PM
I paid 500.00 for a gen3 g19 last November.

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 08:56 PM
Did you guys not see the link for $509 shipped? No tax, pay the $25 transfer fee and you have one for under $550. The link was active when I posted it. All you have to do is look around. Typically the LGS is always more expensive.

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 09:02 PM
$529
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/21862/c/firearms/brand/GLOCK

$519

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/21862/c/firearms/brand/GLOCK

From $499

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-factory-handguns/glock-19-9mm

I found 5 for under $550 in less than 10mins

LockedBreech
May 9, 2013, 09:45 PM
$529

$519

From $499

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-factory-handguns/glock-19-9mm

No one is/was saying you are wrong. Just the prices I have seen at local gun shops and the sites I frequent. That's why I said "I" need to shop around more in my post.

Wreck-n-Crew
May 9, 2013, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_d77 View Post
$529
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...ms/brand/GLOCK

$519

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...ms/brand/GLOCK

From $499

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-fact...s/glock-19-9mm

Those are gen3's not 4's....

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 09:59 PM
They all look the same to me....

The last one had the Gen 4 for 549

Wreck-n-Crew
May 9, 2013, 10:17 PM
The Gen4's are about $50 to$60 higher than the 3's. One of them little details often overlooked in Glock's.
I would suspect the models being numbers add to the confusion for some.

While most gun makers here change numbers or names with new models GLock remains the same and the gen designation tells the difference.

Also many manufacturers here use a c for compact or a different name like shield or bodyguard. Just helps to easily realize there is a difference.

Kevin_d77
May 9, 2013, 10:21 PM
I thought the Gen 3's were supposed to be better anyway since no brass to the face? I don't own one or have any desire to own one, just what I have read on these forums.

The 17 intrigues me but it doesn't fill any specific role for me so I can't justify it. I think if I were to buy another 9 it would be either a 226 or CZ.

LockedBreech
May 9, 2013, 11:27 PM
Some later Gen 3 pistols had the same extractor issues that the early Gen 4 pistols had, albeit not the recoil spring issues.

Billy Shears
May 10, 2013, 07:52 AM
Just one more opinion, for what it's worth...

My Gen4 G19 now has 10,000 rounds through it (yes, I keep a log) and has been used in multiple handgun courses and range qualifications with great success.

I am definitely not a Glock fanboy and will always prefer the looks and feel of my Browning Hi-Powers, but the G19 is good to go.

Good luck tracking one down.

Tactical Jackalope
May 10, 2013, 08:48 AM
^ another happy owner.

I also love the feel of the my BHP or 1911 for the fun time at the range.

But my Glock does on "save my butt if necessary" duty.

amd6547
May 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
I was a Browning HiPower devotee for decades. I owned several, both military and commercial....I always felt no other 9mm fit my hand as well, or carried so easily.
But, I sold my last HiPower last year after I started shooting a Glock 17 and a Glock 26. I shoot the little G26 as well or better than the HiPower. In fact, my long time shooting buddy, who has owned the same 1970's Belgian HiPower since 1975, and shoots it very well, was fairly amazed when I outshot him at the range with my little G26.
The G19 is not in my plans, but I can see why so many like it. For me, I prefer the G26.

Laz
May 10, 2013, 09:03 AM
The Gen4's are about $50 to$60 higher than the 3's.
That is true but part of that price increase is offset by the fact that Gen 4 Glocks are supplied with three magazines instead of the usual two. I have heard reports of a few less than ethical dealers who have tried to separate and sell the third magazine separately but that's rare, I believe.

Tactical Jackalope
May 10, 2013, 09:23 AM
I was a Browning HiPower devotee for decades. I owned several, both military and commercial....I always felt no other 9mm fit my hand as well, or carried so easily.
But, I sold my last HiPower last year after I started shooting a Glock 17 and a Glock 26. I shoot the little G26 as well or better than the HiPower. In fact, my long time shooting buddy, who has owned the same 1970's Belgian HiPower since 1975, and shoots it very well, was fairly amazed when I outshot him at the range with my little G26.
The G19 is not in my plans, but I can see why so many like it. For me, I prefer the G26.

You know...I haven't shot them at the range together yet. My high-power and my Glock 19. That just gave me an outstanding idea for this weekend, hopefully.

I always shot my BHP better than any 9mm I've owned, until my SIG P226 matched it. Then I got a Glock 19. Which is the most concealed carry of the BHP and 226. So I've shot a lot with that G19 since it's now replaced my 226 as main carry in the 9mm's I carry......

So, in conclusion....I will try this battle :)

745SW
May 10, 2013, 10:52 AM
Here’s one of my two identical 19C pistols bought new by me on 10-07-99 serial number DEP0xxUS, both completely stock/original, no mods. I believe this is a fairly early version Gen3 with the 2pin frame. If you look carefully the molding mark for the third pin, LBP (locking block pin), is visible. It’s said the LBP addresses issues with calibers other than 9mm, not needed on the 9mm G17 and G19. At a later date the LBP is used on all models for uniformity, unfortunately it has a tendency to walk. Came with two California 10 round mags (magazines), OEM 15 round mags were available at the time, pricey because of the AWB. During the same period Bulgarian 30 round AK47 mags and AR15 mags with capacities of 20 or more rounds were also available and like the Glock did not come with the firearm. ViewLeftSide.jpg

Extractor has no loaded chamber protrusion like later models and I believe the entire pistol was made in Austria. Tennifer finish on metal parts is no longer used on later versions because of environmental reasons I believe. ViewExtractor.jpg

Underside of slide showing, I can’t remember the descriptive name, the rail that rides over the cartridge in the mag. Rail is polished glass smooth for its entire length. Cartridge in chamber is an Armsport snap-cap. ViewCartExtraactorRail.jpg

Black box in background of above pics is the original Tupperware that came with the pistol.

Wreck-n-Crew
May 10, 2013, 10:55 AM
That is true but part of that price increase is offset by the fact that Gen 4 Glocks are supplied with three magazines instead of the usual two.
It's an additional selling point they use for the Gen4. When they transition from one model to another they try to push the newer model in order to phase out the older model as they prepare for the new model they are currently designed.

All that to keep the ball rolling:)

ninjaamt
May 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
I had the choice recently between the G19 3 or 4. I took the 4 since in my mind it was "newer". In any case from what I now know, there is little difference, although I am happy with the grip finger grooves and textue of the gen4. I have had no problems with over 1,000 down range, and lots of up-grade goodies for those of us who like to tinker and customize! lol
Check out the "Glock Talk" forum and you will get lots of comments on this which are frequently asked. I also think that you should try to keep what you have.

S&W-Keeper
May 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
The 19 is great.

baddarryl
May 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
I am not a Glock fanboy. I got into them because in looking for my first CC gun I ended up with a Gen3 26. Then I got a Gen3 17 for range and IDPA work, and now have a Gen4 19 for IDPA and EDC. Can't go wrong.

Chesster
May 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have several, all Gen 2. For reliability, easy of carry, concealability, hi cap ..... it is the best little SD package available for day to day street use in an IWB holster. No, it is not a good gun to go hunting for bear.

May 14, 2013, 02:20 AM
Don't block yourself

Tactical Jackalope
May 14, 2013, 08:29 AM
Just found this. It's a fun watch...try not to take it too seriously if you agree or disagree. It's just on ABC.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/glock-americas-favorite-legal-handgun/story?id=18018140#.UZI6cqKG18E

Kevin_d77
May 14, 2013, 09:52 AM
From your neck of the woods Constantine

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/report-raises-concern-about-glock-handguns/

Tactical Jackalope
May 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
That's funny, I know Robert Hasmi. I trust what he says. That's unfortunate. Just sent him a text right now. Gonna check my Glock 19 when I get home.

I want to keep following up on this. Thanks for sharing!

Justice06RR
May 14, 2013, 11:26 PM
The grip safety on the XD is easier to fail to depress than the grip safety on a 1911...

Not sure about that. It really depends on the shooter. I've never had any issues with my XD40's grip safety at all. Its actually very natural once you train and get used to it.

Currently I own a G19 Gen3 and have no complaints. But IMO the XDm pistols are nice guns, maybe better in some aspects to the Glock19.