PDA

View Full Version : Backup sight questions

Ric
January 5, 2001, 05:40 PM
Can the Ashley ghost ring backup sights for Warne or Weaver bases be installed and left on with the scope in place ?

Or do you have to remove the scope, then attach the sight to use the backup rear sight ?

-ric

DeBee
January 5, 2001, 10:30 PM
The Warne Rear Peep Base can be left on the rifle. It serves as the base and the fully adjustable peep blade is behind the base. All you have to do is remove the scope and shoot.

The Ashley has to be installed after you remove the scope- if we are talking about the same thing...

Although the Warne is a standard peep- definately not a ghost ring it is a nice piece of work and very functional.

I mounted the Warne bases and QD rings on a Winchester Classic Stainless in .308 I had to play with the height of the front site so the peep could stay sighted with the scope in place alot of work but the results were worth it...

Unfortunately, I think Warne discontinued the Rear Peep Bases...

Ric
January 8, 2001, 06:07 PM
DeBee - thanks for the info

What you described is exactly what i am after, a back-up peep or ghost ring that can stay in place with the scope mounted. Remove scope and shoot. A flip-up like the "L" shaped receiver-mounted sight on the Enfield No.4 would be ideal.

Mounting would be on Rem Model 7.

Got any more of those Classics stainlesses in .308 laying around ? I'd be very interested.

-ric