PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory EMP-40 how snappy is it?

Patriot86
May 1, 2013, 09:33 AM
I am leaning towards a SA EMP-40 as my "summer" carry gun; my only previous experience with 40 S&W was out of a P226 and it took some getting used to. How much "snappier" can I expect an EMP-40 to be vs. a P226?

Sadly none of the local ranges I frequent have an EMP-40 for rent.

Spammy_H
May 1, 2013, 09:53 AM
I have an EMP40, but have not owned another .40S&W with which to compare it. However, here are my thoughts:

Comparing it to my XD45, it's snappier, with more muzzle rise.
Comparing it to a 9mm polymer, it's less snappy, with less muzzle rise.

The EMP40 is all-steel, vs. the aluminum-framed EMP9, so you have some more weight to absorb recoil.

My preferred caliber is .45 ACP, but to me, the EMP40 is probably the best EDC gun you can find in terms of size / shape / profile, etc.

I love mine. You probably will, too.

Patriot86
May 1, 2013, 10:01 AM
I like 9MM as a round but right now 40 S&W is still easy to find at local gun stores while 9MM is almost impossible to find in quantity. I just want to make sure I can execute quick effective follow up shots considering the small size of the EMP, sounds like I won't have a problem though.

Rj1972
May 1, 2013, 10:21 AM
for what it's worth, EMP in 40 is 33oz. P226 is 34oz (both empty). Doesn't quite answer everything due to how high the barrel sits in your hand (there's a technical term for it, but of course it escapes me at the moment), but the fact that they're both roughly the same weight will tell a little bit of the story at least.

Hairbag
May 2, 2013, 10:24 PM
I own one and love it I think it's one of the best 40 S&W shooters out there the only draw back for me is it's a little heavy for conceal carry but I guess that's why it handles the 40 so well I guess you can't have it all.........I find it has less muzzle flip than my glock but that's comparing apples to oranges. Real sweet gun but pricey.