PDA

View Full Version : Browning vs. Remington

Hawkman
January 5, 2001, 10:18 AM
All,

Did a search and didn't find a definitive answer to this question.

The only bolt action centerfire rifles I have ever owned have been Remington 700s (in a rut, I guess). But I handled a Browning A-bolt at the gunshow the other day, and was impressed specifically by the bolt throw and the trigger. I am considering buying one.

I would appreciate any comments to help me compare.

Thanks,

Hawk

George Hill
January 5, 2001, 11:13 AM
Brownings are very smooth - never a bad choice.

JWR
January 5, 2001, 04:25 PM
Make that two votes for the Browning A-Bolt. I got one over 12 years ago and have yet to find another rifle in the same price range that feels as good. Some folks may have different experiences, but I have yet to meet an A-bolt owner who, with a little experimentation, couldn't find a factory round that went 1 MOA or so (this is with the non-boss rifles). The detachable mags are nice, and adjusting the trigger yourself is an easy operation (the owner's manual tells you how).

KilgorII
January 5, 2001, 05:05 PM
Make it 3 votes for a Browning. Remington's aren't bad, but Brownings are better. I would get one with the BOSS. Unlike most accesories to improve accuracy this one works, and very well at that.

CD1
January 5, 2001, 05:13 PM
I own a Browning A Bolt II Composite Stalker in 7 MM Mag with the BOSS. Beautiful trigger, adjusting it is a piece of cake. Smoooooth and short bolt throw, detachable box magazine. I havent bought another rifle since I got that one. That was aprrox 8 years ago. Super accurate too. I can't recomend one highly enough.

jbgood
January 5, 2001, 06:03 PM
Hawkman, I've owned Remingtons, Rugers, and Winchesters. Last summer I bought my first Browning A-bolt and am very glad that I chose it over other makes. It is made well, produces very consistent patterns, looks good, and is generally fun to shoot. If (when!) I buy another bolt action rifle, it will very likely be a Browning.

RickD
January 5, 2001, 06:15 PM
How much do the cost?

Do they make it for lefties?

I guess I'll have to slum it with a Savage. ;)

Rick

tl
January 6, 2001, 01:20 PM
It appears it is available for lefties:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/abolt/abolt2.htm

RickD
January 6, 2001, 01:33 PM
Good lookin' rifle. Price is not too outragious, but still double that of a Savage or other makes.

Only one model in lefty-configuration... the A-bolt Medallion. Long-action only.

Rick

Hawkman
January 6, 2001, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to make sure they were as good as they seemed.

I see an A-bolt in my immediate future (next week?).

:)

WalterGAII
January 6, 2001, 10:03 PM
Go over to varminthunters.com and benchrest.com and ask those guys to compare the Rem. 700 to any bolt Browning.

You won't find too many Brownings over there.

Hawkman
January 8, 2001, 04:01 PM
I am sure you are correct, Walter, but I bet they ain't shooting stock Remingtons, and i bet they aren't tossing them in the truck to hunt deer with, either! :)

Hawk

WalterGAII
January 8, 2001, 07:38 PM
The benchrest guys are certainly not shooting stock Remingtons, but they do know a lot about bolt rifles and are generally more competent to answer such questions than is the general public.

The varminthunters, of which I am one, generally do use stock Remingtons. (Of course, there are exceptions, but many varminthunters use varmint-weight, stock Remington 700's.

Willy
January 8, 2001, 07:58 PM
RickD,
The A-Bolt stainless stalker is also available in left hand.